Mitsubishi A6M Zero confirmed ?

Cthulhus

It doesn’t matter if the Zero is less capable than a Corsair. That’s what they had a lot of. Now, if we were to get a Tony or a Raiden etc, than that would be a different story.

From a realism perspective, no disagreement.

However, if you want anything like balanced, the Zero is going to be on par with the I16.

Don't get me wrong, I think that we SHOULD have a Zero in game. However, my point was to remind people that whilst the Zero made the Hurricane look obsolete, and even early Spits a hard time, that by late 44 and 45, the newer aircraft left it for dead.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

There's been a nice mod by DOL, including a Japanese carrier: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3996702&postcount=74

Didn't hear much about it since a few month. :cry:

That mod is complete but sadly it's not compatible with the current version of DCS. Mods using the P-51 module don't work anymore, and that one uses it. :(

It can be used as AI though.

Edit: here's a link if you want it: http://virtualcockpits.web.fc2.com/mod/dcsw_reisen52/dcsw_reisen52.html

Edited by Akatsuki

Zero is vastly superior to an I-16. Even the one we have would be at general disadvantage against A6M5.

Zero against Corsair has three advantages - rate of climb, agility and situational awareness. Corsair pilot has extremely limited visibility to check what's behind him so bouncing Corsair should be possible.

But if I was looking for a design to tackle Corsair, I'd go with either Ki-84 or N1K2-J, with latter being my favorite Japanese fighter but also an aircraft of which not much is known.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

If a Japanese fighter was made, especially a Zero, I'd jump into that whole-heartedly. I'd be willing to fight Corsairs

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS should never be about balance though. Dissimilar aircraft should fly to their strengths and use tactics and skills. A mig 21 "shouldn't" beat a tomcat or hornet, but a good pilot in one can. People will fly the Zero because they want to and they'll learn to win it.

• 2 weeks later...
DCS should never be about balance though. Dissimilar aircraft should fly to their strengths and use tactics and skills. A mig 21 "shouldn't" beat a tomcat or hornet, but a good pilot in one can. People will fly the Zero because they want to and they'll learn to win it.

This exactly, I regularly take my MiG-19 out against F-18's and 16's on our Squadron servers to varying degrees of success. Sometimes being the underdog is a great time, and I do get a bigger kick out of my few and far between wins.

• 4 months later...

Well said Jester, I would welcome the Zero! Be nice to have a Wildcat off the Carrier to get into history mode but the Corsair or Hellcat will work. I shot a LOT of superior planes down in my A6M in Aces High way back when.... real trick is sitrep and not to get Boom n Zoomed..

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR