yellow AoA lamp not burning at high AoA?

D4n

Isn't the yellow AoA lamp supposed to go on at high AoA?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yeah nevermind, for some reason it turned on and stays on when I enable the missile or gun.... strange, as the icon clearly has to do with some kind of "angle".

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Huh, no, it's on the entire time in level-flight with gun on......

AOA light comes on when :

Either

AOA is exceeded

Or

Speed below 400kph

And

When a missle is loaded

Per Chuck's guide

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Huh, no, it's on the entire time in level-flight with gun on......

You can use "LCtrl + Y" to toggle the info bar** in the cockpit to check your current parameters.

The gun AoA warning lamp lights when:

• the cannon is armed/enabled,

• speed is below 415 km/h (224 knot) IAS and/or if the AoA is above 5°

When lit, firing the gun is inhibited to prevent gas fume ingestion by the engine.

**Note: The info bar may be disabled by the mission designer or in DCS options

Tested Open Beta 2.5.6.47404

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The gun AoA warning lamp lights when:

• the cannon is armed/enabled,

• speed is below 415 km/h (224 knot) IAS and/or if the AoA is above 5°

When lit, firing the gun is inhibited to prevent gas fume ingestion by the engine.

The manual states 400km/h, and 6°. Where did you get these numbers? Was this testing using the info bar?

then is that statement in chucks guide wrong? I did see no light come on when purely "AOA is exceeded". Or game bug?

The manual states 400km/h, and 6°. Where did you get these numbers? Was this testing using the info bar?

In game.

The RL manual says 400+/-15 km/h, however testing in 2.5.6.47404, the lamp extinguished at the upper limit.

The RL manual says the cannon is enabled when the AoA is below 5°, etc., it's hard to say what it exactly is in game without looking at the .lua, so I went with the RL value.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

then is that statement in chucks guide wrong? I did see no light come on when purely "AOA is exceeded". Or game bug?

Was the cannon armed and powered ?

The warning lamp will only light when the gun has power i.e. cannon switch to arm, etc.

For example if I was to select rockets on the outer pylons, it disables the cannon and it's AoA warning lamp.

The warning lamp will only light when the gun has power i.e. cannon switch to arm, etc.

Ahaaa! Couldn't find that information when I searched for the term "AoA" in the DCS L-39 .pdf.

Why would the engineers not make the AoA light work at all time, regardless of armament? strange. (knowing your aircraft's AoA can save your life :P )

Because the light is set to the AoA you cannot fire the gun, not the airframes critical AoA.

Agreed an AoA gauge would be nice - the sensor is obviously there. Maybe it was deemed undesirable for a primarily trainer aircraft.