SAM shootdowns of HARM missiles

Shack

So my server missions solution was 2 fold.

1. Any time a zone were a SAM should be is 'flipped' it simulates the fact that side now brings in fresh equipment (and soon that'll have a production sim behind it)

2. Any existing SAM site gets checked every 2 hrs, and if it's 'dead' gets repaired 2 hrs after that, ALL sam's get repaired every 6.

3. My SAM's will turn their radars off if they need to :P .

It's not 100% accurate no but it gives people 'time' to punch a hole and exploit it if they are willing to put that effort in. Just like there are ways to counter 120's in mission there are ways to counter HARMS etc in the shape and form of things that are rewarding to players rather then 'No you can't use this shinny new toy'.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

HARMs actually don't seem that good. at the moment they are greatly hindered by the 5ft miss, no damage meme.

also, S-300 mops them up with no trouble. SA-15s also get them odds-on. assuming it's a fairly capable site, you will need more than 4 hornets' worth of HARMs to kill a single flap lid. granted, that will probably exhaust it's missile stock entirely as the PK is only ~40% or so per missile launched to intercept. (plus it will launch a bunch of totally hopeless missiles at you before you crank)

long term though i think we will probably need SAMs that behave a little more intelligently with radar emissions. if the CEP/damage radius on these things ever improve it will be like clubbing baby seals.

I think a lot of people were expecting some kind of wonder weapon. Yes it has a range of 80nm but thats also 80nm that the SAM site can see it coming and shoot it down. As with everything else use the element of surprise and speed to your advantage. Get up close and shoot them in the face before they have a chance to react.. Works just fine for me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It’s about suppression (the S in SEAD)

An S300 can engage 4-6 targets simultaneously (depending on variant, and only based on a very quick Wikipedia search). I also would not be surprised if there are azimuth limitations to this (ie those 4-6 targets must be in roughly the same direction, not on both sides of the radar, though I have no source for this, just basic knowledge of how the tracking radars work)

1 element of HARM shooting hornets can keep lobbing HARMs at the S300, forcing it to engage the HARMs or shut off to avoid destruction. Either way, the S300 is not engaging the other element of hornets or vipers or strike eagles coming in low level to hit the headquarters or whatever else the S300 is guarding. They’d only need a small window, which can be gained simply by keeping the S300 busy. Destroying it isn’t always necessary, sometimes you just need to keep him busy for a few minutes.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I do test the idea of shooting normal rockets yesterday to see what an SA10 site woupd do, and the answer was that it did engage some of them. The implications being that it should be possible to mix in dumb rockets with your harms to swamp the SAM unit.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I do test the idea of shooting normal rockets yesterday to see what an SA10 site woupd do, and the answer was that it did engage some of them. The implications being that it should be possible to mix in dumb rockets with your harms to swamp the SAM unit.

If you mean rockets from other plane, then if you are in range to fire regular rockets at them (even by lobbing them) you are already very close to get HARM through anyway, possible even close enough to make a run into minimal range zone. But I think SA-10 wouldn't target them anyway

It perhaps could be done with MLRS. if the SA-10 will target the rockets then you can easily oversaturate it with just two MLRS units. If not then MLRS will sooner or later hit it. (question then is if SA-10 would be placed close enough to frontline to be within MLRS range in real life scenario, but then again this is game so who cares)

edit: I just realized that you probably meant firing rockets into the void, not targetting anything. Just put them out there to be targeted by SA-10.

Edited by EPSNtheGATOR

Using HARMs is especially (I guess realistic?) on the blueflag server. They have a script where the SAM site will shut down once you launch on it. Out of I think about 10 shots we killed only one SAM with pure HARMs.

I believe the way to do it is 1 player with all HARMs doing SEAD to keep them SAMs shut down while the other guy does DEAD with Mavs/bombs...

At least that's my initial impressions after one night of flying on blueflag.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo