DCS: Combined Arms Wish List - Page 72 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #711
oscar19681+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
2 and 4 is actually in DCS, since a couple of years. Though the suspension is more a visual effect in the external views. My guess is the terrain elevation map resolution isn't high enough to model detailed hill crests...

The laser ranging and adjusting is implemented for most modern tanks etc. though depending on game mode you can automate that. Realistic mode you lase the range, the sight / cross adjusts elevation for correct range and you put the crosshairs on target. If you lose the hill in front or behind the target you miss, though you can adjust visually. Usually even the manual reticle is available as a fallback option, so you have to judge range by target size in the sight and adjust manually with the range scale.
No 2 is not really bobbing roadwheels really. Its just the hull rocking back and forth as a visual effect ans isnt affected by the terrain at all.

No 4 isnt anything like in real life or realistic at all since in a real FCS in most western tanks, you lase the target and the ballistic computer addjusts the barrel and the cross hairs dont even move.
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #712
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
No 2 is not really bobbing roadwheels really. Its just the hull rocking back and forth as a visual effect ans isnt affected by the terrain at all.

No 4 isnt anything like in real life or realistic at all since in a real FCS in most western tanks, you lase the target and the ballistic computer addjusts the barrel and the cross hairs dont even move.
Yep, what I said. There is no elevation map with a sensible resolution for that, as the DCS maps are a tad bit larger in size than the average FPS/Military Shooter/Tank Sim.
That is, why you can only do a cosmetic effect with the wheels, maybe different effects with different terrain types, but no accurate hilltops or crevices etc. which could be a good idea for this wishlist.

In theory you could get more detailed elevation maps, but that would require a monster PC with specs beyond affordable for most potential customers.

So Laser-ranging is integrated, but you see a possible improvement with the way the firing solution is done?

I am not even 100% sure, if it isn't already like on the Leopard 2 IRL, need to check. If the crosshairs are still moved when using "FCS"-like ranging and aiming, that is a good improvement, maybe even an easy to implement.
From your first post, it sounded like there is no laser ranging, correction and firing solution, at all.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #713
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post

Some Western ones had little odd behavior. Like M2 Bradley had just vertical axis stabilisation so lazing did require reaim.
And IIRC the same was on M1 and M1IP that lazing moved reticle because optics was locked to turret bit cross hair was free to move.

There are few own quirks with those older designs on all... Like how T-72 Ural had lazing reticle off-axis and you needed to use it, then re-aim with actual crosshair.

But yes, you are right that basic principle is that only tube and turret moves and crosshair stays on place.

--
I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....
Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #714
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post

In theory you could get more detailed elevation maps, but that would require a monster PC with specs beyond affordable for most potential customers.
Actually no need. It would be similar as any graphics engine does these days. When you are closer, higher resolution is used than further distance.

One can't see the tires animation further than ie. 20-30 meters, but they can see basic hull movements. At further not even that, but just speed variation.

The main challenge is, how to sync it between multiplayer? One can randomly generate that, but syncing it is just own small nightmare. As easily it becomes they one unit is behind a big rock or small hill, and others see no such things...

So random generation by the ED to maps, that gets loaded when camera is nearby is better choose. But likely generates a few gigabytes extra per map.

--
I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....
Old 12-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #715
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Actually no need. It would be similar as any graphics engine does these days. When you are closer, higher resolution is used than further distance.

One can't see the tires animation further than ie. 20-30 meters, but they can see basic hull movements. At further not even that, but just speed variation.

The main challenge is, how to sync it between multiplayer? One can randomly generate that, but syncing it is just own small nightmare. As easily it becomes they one unit is behind a big rock or small hill, and others see no such things...

So random generation by the ED to maps, that gets loaded when camera is nearby is better choose. But likely generates a few gigabytes extra per map.

--
It's not the tire animation that ups the requirements. It is the HDD/SSD space and memory required to store the elevation grid. Some depencies between the elevation, grid, texturing, lighting to the overall map rendering... now with current RAM requirements aiming for 32 minimum, better 64.
Add likely another couple hundred MB to download and store for each map...

And to make a collision check for a bullet fired, bomb dropped from a plane with a tank, you need to know where the tanks collision shell of the tank is related to the ground, so even for a plane firing from 3-4 NM or more, you need to calculate the elevation grid, the respective position and attitude of the tank.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #716
oscar19681+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Some Western ones had little odd behavior. Like M2 Bradley had just vertical axis stabilisation so lazing did require reaim.
And IIRC the same was on M1 and M1IP that lazing moved reticle because optics was locked to turret bit cross hair was free to move.

There are few own quirks with those older designs on all... Like how T-72 Ural had lazing reticle off-axis and you needed to use it, then re-aim with actual crosshair.

But yes, you are right that basic principle is that only tube and turret moves and crosshair stays on place.

--
Yes im aware of the quirks. In The M1A1 the reticle moves from left orRight when the FCS apply,s lead to the turret automaticly depending on what direction lead is apply,d. Non of the Leopard 2 series have that though since these optics where stabilized on 2 axis. Its fixed on the M1A2 which also got Axis stabilization for the optics like the Leopard.
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #717
Looney

Wish:

The ability to lock targets from the SAM RADAR scope instead of having to acquire targets visually before engaging.

Rationale:
With the HARM introduction, human operated SAM systems are at a distinct disadvantage of being able to acquire the missile on radar but having no way of locking the target and engaging it before it enters visual range at a speed that does not allow for locking and firing.
AI SAMs do not have this problem.
RADAR SAM systems should be able to engage if they have an all-weather capability, that's what the RADAR is for in the first place.

Nothing needs to be changed to IR SAM systems.

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #718
DanielNL
Veteran

That is already possible... And Tor SAM can't shoot down HARM currently, the Tor missile will fly by the HARM and not explode. So only way is radar off, drive (take cover behind a building to avoid getting AGM-65'd or gunrunned), wait for HARM to miss, radar on, engage F/A-18C.
Dell Visor WMR, RX 580 8GB (2x HDMI), Ryzen 5 1600X (6C/12T)
Buddyspike BlueFlag discord, most cooperative DCS PvP server: blueflag.ml featuring: F/A-18 - Harrier - CTLD - EWR - GCI

Last edited by DanielNL; 01-22-2019 at 01:02 PM.
DanielNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #719
Looney

Do tell me how I can lock targets on the radar screen?

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #720
DanielNL
Veteran

By clicking on the radar contacts directly iirc
Dell Visor WMR, RX 580 8GB (2x HDMI), Ryzen 5 1600X (6C/12T)
Buddyspike BlueFlag discord, most cooperative DCS PvP server: blueflag.ml featuring: F/A-18 - Harrier - CTLD - EWR - GCI
DanielNL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capture the island, command and conquer, cti, rts