SSD wear - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #21
David OC

Reputation power: 10
David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

My new PC has the samsung 960 evo m.2 500gb. I also went and looked up a few things about the drive.

"3,000 program/erase cycles. But granted, as drastic as that sounds, it's all relative as this lifespan will very likely last longer than any mechanical HDD. Drive wearing protection and careful usage will help you out greatly. With an SSD filled normally and very heavy writing/usage of say 10 GBs data each day 365 days a year, you'd be looking at roughly 22 full SSD write cycles per year, out of the 3,000 (worst case scenario) available. However, all calculations on this matter are debatable and theoretical as usage differs and even things like how much free space you leave on your SSD can affect the drive."

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-960-evo-m-2-1tb-nvme-ssd-review,3.html
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #22
Necroscope

Reputation power: 51
Necroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to behold

You likely change your SSD for bigger one then because of wearing.

Mine SSD with Windows and games on it stands for 6.5 years already and still 98% healthy according report.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
Piston85

Reputation power: 5
Piston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura about

thanks for all the kind replies. I guess my biggest concern comes from living in a third world place, where getting or replacing one of these stuff is a real effort.

Also, not knowing enough about SSDs. I did the basics of "SSD protection manual" like activating trim, ahci, no restore, no defragmentation. But still using pagefile and other stuff that is recommended but not proved.

So all of this makes me wonder about wear too.
Piston85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
Necroscope

Necroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to beholdNecroscope is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston85 View Post
thanks for all the kind replies. I guess my biggest concern comes from living in a third world place, where getting or replacing one of these stuff is a real effort.

Also, not knowing enough about SSDs. I did the basics of "SSD protection manual" like activating trim, ahci, no restore, no defragmentation. But still using pagefile and other stuff that is recommended but not proved.

So all of this makes me wonder about wear too.
You can use Restore and PageFile on SSD without any hesitation. You even can have Temp folder in there.

With current SSD tech - next time you start looking for new one will be the day when your existing SSD become incompatible with your brand-new liquid palladium cooled motherboard for new 1600 core processor.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #25
gavagai

Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

Now you've all got me curious. How are you checking your SSD drive wear? Are you using one of the utilities advertised on google, or is there a way to check through Windows itself?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
Piston85

Reputation power: 5
Piston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura about

I think they refer to the TB Written versus the published limit of each model.
Piston85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #27
Necroscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
Now you've all got me curious. How are you checking your SSD drive wear? Are you using one of the utilities advertised on google, or is there a way to check through Windows itself?
SSDLife Pro for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #28
Sporg

Reputation power: 11
Sporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really niceSporg is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
I'm just using the included Samsung Magician SW.
It shows TBW on the first page.
Sporg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #29
Fri13

Reputation power: 11
Fri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the rough

As so many has already shown and told about a SSD withstanding of constant writing, it is amazing what such technology has done to gaming and overall computing in last 5 years.

Like the first good SSD were Intel ones, around 32-64GB drives and you had writing amounts with 5GB every day for about 3-4 years. Even then it was not a worry for normal usage.

But now we are so another level in that tech that we can just enjoy from all the speed benefits we can have. Or actually suffer as so many game developer gets lazy and just go and don't optimize the games as now they have more I/O and more processing power and more all things so they can just throw the more raw data and put older computers on knees.

I just made a 3D card update after 2-3 years and everything is just so much faster. The older card was a 200€ card and could run almost every latest game in maximum graphics except few titles (like ARMA 3 or latest Crysis) but titles like DCS 2.0 was running 4K with almost all set max at nice 35-40 FPS.

Now I am about to install that card to this computer and expect to see a nice improved performance increase. As I was testing that card first on 7 year old computer with AMD Athlon II X640 (4 core 3Ghz CPU) with 6GB RAM that was running a 170€ 3D card almost all titles very nicely and using the new card put every title to run in maximum performance without dropping FPS below 40. It was just amazing what a such old CPU can do with a 667Mhz DDR3 6GB RAM

And why so? The motherboard is like a 10 years old. Runs still a DCS very nicely on Full HD about 40-50FPS.

The HDD was a problem and SSD upgrade was huge for games.

So today just upgrading SSD and 3D is huge thing.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Not using a SSD is a Gamers-Crime

The result is so dramatic that when I got my 1st SSD with my Apple Laptop that I exchanged each and every OS drive in my household with 850 Pro's shortly after they emerged. What a BIG difference that made to ANY computer I personally own and I have retrofitted meanwhile a few dozen PC's with 850Pro's in households ( sister, nephew etc etc. ) and office PC's from customers.
They all love it, no exception, and they all think it was worth the money spent.

Especially older PC's come to new life again, C2D + SSD is good enough to surf the net and such.
i7-1st-Gen + SSD is like a new Office PC ( added RAM to a total of 8GB for those as minimum as well )

Games just benefit HUGE from it and for DCS it should be labeled "mandatory".
Asus Prime-Z270-A - Intel i7-7700K @ 5.0/1.330v adaptive LLC6 Phase_140%-Extreme - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 XMP 3600 CL16 vDimm VCCIO 1.30v VSA 1.35v - Asus 980GTX Poseidon wc @ 1500/8000 - 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 1 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 2 x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT @ 4 x 180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 - Corsair Carbide 500r Case 5x120mm 1x200mm fans
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote