Wings manual aft for extensions?

r4y30n

In the following video from the Reapers, VHS mentions that you can accelerate faster with wings manually swept full aft, particularly at high altitude. I'm trying to wrap my ahead around the physics of that... Isn't the auto sweep program giving you max lift to drag ratio at any given speed? Does the reduction of frontal area make a bigger difference at low G?

Sweeping wings aft will reduce the frontal area of your wings, at the cost of increasing induced drag (i.e. the drag caused by the wings generating lift), which generally results in a total drag increase. However, if you do not need lift (e.g. in a dive), induced drag will become zero and sweeping the wings back will indeed reduce the amount of total drag as compared to wings fully forward.

So in short, sweeping wings aft only makes sense in an unloaded (i.e. zero g) flight situation. But don't forget to put them back in auto.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

In the following video from the Reapers, VHS mentions that you can accelerate faster with wings manually swept full aft, particularly at high altitude. I'm trying to wrap my ahead around the physics of that... Isn't the auto sweep program giving you max lift to drag ratio at any given speed? Does the reduction of frontal area make a bigger difference at low G?

The original MACH SWEEP programmer for the first 23 tomcats was programmed for maximum lift which in turn delay The sweep angle.. The problem with it was that it caused was much bending moments on to the wings. In other words, the tomcat could turn a whole lot harder!...

They switched it back for the later tomcats for P sub

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk