What about a restricted Open Alpha release before Beta?

beppe_goodoldrebel

Once again there are a lot of problems with the new OB release affecting pretty much the most of community who is running the OB.

I dont know if this is already in place but...what about making another step of testing?

Like an Open Alpha for restricted crowd to iron the most annoying bugs before the OB.

Maybe someone with an actual background of software development or at least the knowledge of basic tools for debugging.

I'm sure there's a lot of people willing to apply for this!

This might also save you time and money and keep customers happy!:smilewink:

Edited by beppe_goodoldrebel

I can understand it is annoying but if all this is a problem for you...then you should stick with the release version.

I lime to try the new toys so i will stay with both release and openbeta

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Once again there are a lot of problems with the new OB release affecting pretty much the most of community who is running the OB

There is ZERO need for ED to offer out an untested (possibly buggy) early release candidate to a portion of the community to test and report on...

They already do...its called open beta.

All that's needed is for the community as a whole to treat it as such and run the Stable Version (especially for multi-player) as a general rule.

Airbag_signatur.png

Indeed... no need to have a THIRD version....

Things are enough complicated as it is....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

There isnt enough storage on the planet for THREE versions DCS!

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

The vast majority of participants here would never see it and all feedback would be internal so there really wouldn’t be any additional community-wide noise.

Which means the time between releases would be longer (time needed for testing and fixing) and that goes against the crowd shouting if there is no new release every week.

Remember the days of 1.x when we would get a new patch about every quarter? Those were quite stable...

They have internal testers (But it seems they have holidays when bigger patches drop)

Or most of the ED testing is done at only 1080p with 64 GB of RAM, 9900K's, and 2080 Ti's. :-)

"Performance is GREAT, boys! Let's release it." :)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• ED Team

Hi all

Open beta serves its purpose for us, it is a public test build, your reports and feedback help us make DCS better for all.

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Someone remember the 2.0 was a Alpha version..... and the attacks vs them?

Pretty much

bug-vs-feature.jpg

The vast majority of participants here would never see it and all feedback would be internal so there really wouldn’t be any additional community-wide noise.

:thumbup:

Hi all

Open beta serves its purpose for us, it is a public test build, your reports and feedback help us make DCS better for all.

Thank you

Open Beta is good for wider testing on more software and hardware possibilites not for testing features for the first time together.

So Open Beta will still serve its purpose...

Closed Alpha could save you time working with selected community members in finding major breaking bugs and move to Beta once fixed.

After all this procedure some minor bugs will eventually come out? No problem , it's a Beta!

For example: those memory leaks with the carriers in MP could have been easily been found by just testing a mission on a server.

Something tells me no one have done a simple test on 2.5.6 before release.

Simple solution. Don’t run the Open Beta if having problems bothers you.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Nothing will change, even though the COO said they would look at change:

From reddit:

level 6dotrugirl

ED COO2 points · 1 day ago

According to all the discussions about 2.5.6 and MP issues, Open Beta and Stable complete misusage (apologies for making many of users start to use OB as the mainstream), we will refactor the process and try another approach for MP and server owners.

I suggested they could achieve that via blocking MP on the OB branch to "Public" servers. BIGNEWY has said it wont happen, and also said the OB is useful as is.

The word "misusage" carries a lot of weight.

Ed are telling you not to use OB for MP. Servers are not listening, they want the server for the players wishes. The players wishes are to have all the nice new things and it to all be perfect. The three groups are all INCOMPATIBLE. And given the side messages of "it wont change", everything you need to know is said in that reddit post, this post and the suggestion on stopping MP to public post.

Which basically means, folks have to learn and the complaints will be given no heed and folks are wasting their breath.

I do think that this is entirely created by Multiplayer servers, which are the place where things will break and the source of disappointment when they roll back versions.

The best midle ground that can ease this situation is that the DCS World development path and Module development paths diverge more strictly and are more uncoupled. That means If a new module or even a module feature liek TWS on Hornet, is due to arrive, it gets pushed on it's own to OB and verified and moved to Live much faster than currently, because currently, the new features moving to Live are Blocked by bugs in the core game. They shoudl try to rotate between module changes in isolation and core game changes, else forever there is a chokepoint moving things to live.

That might help people choose stable/live more readily. But it's not quite good enough imo and unlikely to be executed on.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

All bs aside, it would be nice if the core game and individual modules were decoupled so we didn't have individual aircraft tied to major potentially game breaking bugs/issues. Problem is, the game was kind of built around the current system, so big changes like that may be agonisingly painful to pull off. To an extent it ''is what it is'' and people just need to suck it up and act like adults.

I won't hold my breath on it, though.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That might help people choose stable/live more readily.

Actually they need the opposite effect. ED NEEDS players on OB to find the bugs.

Since DCS2.0 came out, there was only one other tie I remember when servers rolled back to a previous OB due to some game breaking bugs.

It sucks when it happens, but its the only way they will make this game better, with lots of testing by the community.

The release of an unstable Open Beta to our clients has taught us an important lesson, and we are committed to improving the QA before an Open Beta delivery.

Our updated process includes:

Longer internal QA testing and debugging.

Earlier external Beta Tester access to Release Candidates. How to become a Beta Tester. English & Russian links.

A new closed Eagle Dynamics dedicated multiplayer testing server. The invitations will be announced soon.

DCS Open Beta delivery.

Hotfix process (if required).

DCS Stable delivery.

Good news finally!

Good news finally!

+1 :thumbup:

I think that everybody is looking for improving our favorite simulator.

For sure not everything is perfect but we have to be patient and happy to enjoy every moment spent on our favorite combat simulator...and dreaming of more improvements....

Let’s be positive, every week we can see positive changes and new things and that’s why we enjoy DCS.:thumbup::thumbup: