Why the verbosity on Reddit and not here?

Pikey

That site needs to be shut down quite frankly.

Eh... no. And remember that this site has been called an echo chamber as well. IMO neither are, although I vastly prefer this board since some folks over there are just absolute oiks I tend to blow my top with - and that only results in me getting warnings, not them :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Back on topic though, I do agree in principle with folks who said that this board should be the first port of call when looking for DCS info. Easier said than done however, because everyone and their grampa's dog are on FB and other SoMe sites nowadays! Wouldn't touch 'em with a bargepole myself, but that doesn't change the fact one way or another...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Reddit ??

I place I try to avoid like the Devil the Holy Water.

Too much nonsense, rudeness, insulting etc etc etc.

What is not talked about right here in this forum regarding DCS does not bother me at all.

This is DCS home and all relevant info should be available here, at least as a copy if the Officials decide to release news over at reddit. I am not going there at all to inform myself.

I like the way this forum is moderated. It's clean, educated and free of hate and such.

my 2 cents about DCS and other non-well managed forums.

** you can substitute reddit with FB, same POV applies. Never ever I will join FB in my life.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hold your horses guys, if the info was posted here, that would make attraction here, so they place the magnet there where the nails are. Besides, the info is an explanation to those who just don't know basics of game building and running business, which you probably do.

About a year ago the most popualr Reddit DCS group - "Hoggit" experienced a huge influx of new members doubling it's size in a very short period of time. Hoggit became a mess. Some of new people, very often without any sim background, started to blindly attack everything. ED managers had left Hoggit after hate and series of personal attacks. Hoggit has become a place of total, mostly unreasonable, attack and total criticism. Not for long.

Gradually, the least reasonable and most emotional critics and haters, who most often came into contact with DCS and simulators recently, burned out and left. Looks like after all this negativity in Hoggit group was just some strange emotonal episode.

For several months, everything has returned to normal, despite the influx of huge numbers of new members - now it has about 40,000 members. Hoggit is again balanced and rational, focuses rather on positives and people from ED have returned and maintain constructive relationships with this community.

They came from those cheap online "be a tank engineer", "pilot your ship" games that have exploded in popularity on PCs, I think they're mostly children, and the modern children are filled with all sorts of toxic culture these days, not to mention gorging on unhealthy food and sugar, so in a way it's not really surprising, I just hope they can learn and grow up. Sugar and bad carbs is just a killer, the amounts that are marketed to children and young adults are insane, and all the drinks, it's all sugar, half of the supermarkets when you first enter are filled with bazillion of chocolates and snacks from grains, probably the biggest irresponsible thing ever from grocers, but I think it's adults of those children that don't know the danger and it's all wrapped under this sweet and cute cultural thing as if it's some award, well if it was healthy it be fine. This is a huge hidden health crisis far far bigger than any of the infections or other recognized diseases, because this all leads to that, you wouldn't even get infected (that much) if your health was top notch IMO, that's why you have youth acting erratic and agressive, because the sugars are irritating the gut lining and causing changes in gut bacteria which are not healthy, those bacteria which are good but malfunctioning produce wrong substances and coupled with other effects of sugar makes the person impatient and easily irritable especially once you are on this diet for a long time, sugar is only energy and nothing else, it has no anti-viral, anti-microbial or anti-oxidant property, and it's the primary fuel for all the bad actors. If you're sick in winter, the last thing you would do is put sugar in tea, and if you put lemon juice in hot tea you destroy all the vitamin C because it's temperature intolerant, even on room temp it will lose it's potency, leaving it out in air will oxidize it quickly and it's gone. I'm well recovering from a condition in which you cannot resist to eat sugary foods and other stuff, so I know this stuff first hand, but I won't go into it right now because it's such a huge can of worms in terms of details that can't easily be summarized. (It's not that special, millions of people suffer by it borderline without even knowing, I can over PM if someone is in serious need of some tips that you can research your self but it would take a long time, and you'd have to know what to look for in the first place, but ofcourse in an objective fashion leaving personal stuff out).

But most of this stuff is outside of DCS and the devs, they can do is to provide understanding on why some thing are like how they are, I said in a few threads back, I agree with the fast module development, before the Core Upgrades come, because it's something to be busy about, I explained how much there is and we shouldn't feel that we don't have enough to do, the modules are finishing and some others are developing, I even proposed to put a brake on releasing modules for a while to let this digest, or at least when the core modules drop to kinda avoid having a major module at the same time around that time, some may be picky only on their favourite one aircraft and perhaps don't want to explore the DCS in whole and would complain until they get their pick but that's just being ... forgot the word, a bit greedy? So that's the talk, to talk to those kinds and try to establish some understanding, the question is how long will it suffice for, will it work for 6 months and they'll be back at it again?

-----

I think the trailers must be doing this, several hundred thousand of views on the "DCS and Beyond" ones on youtube ...

I just missed the events of those weeks when the community here was discussing MAC and DCS relationship, I made a few posts I think but I wasn't watching the discussion that closely, then I came back to see MAC spinned off out of DCS and I totally agree, so It's great to the the rest of the community here on the same page, so I guess they'll migrate to MAC, but that said, will it be any different in the behavior?

The question is how differently will be MAC managed, I got some ideas floating but I'm not going to speculate because I got my hands full with 256OB bug hunting!

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

It was likely posted on reddit because that's where the majority of foot-stamping, self-entitled, angry individuals seem to hang out. People here seem to be a lot more rational with their posts and so it likely doesn't require the same type of attention.

It was likely posted on reddit because that's where the majority of foot-stamping, self-entitled, angry individuals seem to hang out. People here seem to be a lot more rational with their posts and so it likely doesn't require the same type of attention.

That's how I understand it as well - but the info provided by ED's Kate is valuable here even moreso, as the forum here is the official DCS community - and not some third party website that happens to have a flightsim related subforum.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Here we go again. Merged with another thread. This was meant as a general question, so I put it in the general section.

Oh that's why the link leads to the same thread there.

Perhaps the forum should have some indicator that a post was merged or some kind of note somewhere.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hi,

So there's this interesting post by Kate Perederko on reddit

, but for some reason this forum is pretty silent about it.

Wow! Why why why is that not on the main ED page or even anywhere in the forums?

Even if just to shut down some of the tiring "why is X not implemented yet?" or "When will Y be in game?" that keep popping up... every... single.... day!!!

• 1 month later...

You guys are over-thinking this and blinding yourselves, locked into your own perspective and failing to see the bigger picture.

To answer the original question about why social media sites are used more than these forums is pretty easy....

They are more accessible!

Reddit, Facebook, etc., all have cellphone apps that allow you to participate in on-going discussions almost in realtime.

Instead of having to chase down information like you have to on this forum, it's pushed to your phone as it becomes available. And you don't need to be in front of a computer all the time, so you can participate whether you're at home, on a bus, waiting in a line at the bank or grocery store, pretty much anywhere.

It does have the downside where participation can become too casual or distracted that it can lower the quality of the contributions that people make. And in the worst cases, it can destroy an otherwise fine source of information and commentary - sometimes for good.

But it's not about the people on social media, it's about the ease of access.

For the developers it's also the easiest way to reach the largest number of people, and large numbers of people are KEY to success of the projects these development teams work on (10 of us can pay $1000 each, or 1000 of us can pay $10 each, sign me up for the $10 and 1000 people to fly with).

I like the idea of have these forums being the first place news on these products being announced, but it would never do to try and interfere with a developers access to social media - not so much for some sense of fairness, but because their success makes a better product for all of us to enjoy!

Edited by jlummel

This profile (jlummel) is not in use anymore!

I managed to recover my original forum profile, StressLess, and have gone back to using it!

To answer the original question about why social media sites are used more than these forums is pretty easy....

They are more accessible!

Reddit, Facebook, etc., all have cellphone apps that allow you to participate in on-going discussions almost in realtime.

Instead of having to chase down information like you have to on this forum, it's pushed to your phone as it becomes available. And you don't need to be in front of a computer all the time, so you can participate whether you're at home, on a bus, waiting in a line at the bank or grocery store, pretty much anywhere.

Well those arguments. I do have a fb account even, but not letting anything push forward notifications to my cell phone, simply because I do NOT want to get some attention-drawing things like every five seconds. I don't even have the ring tone on. If someone wants to talk to me, he'll have to wait until I see he'd called me and therefor I'd call him back. But well, I guess I'm just too old for this. If I want to get informed on DCS, I come here. And this very thread is legacy to the fact I'm not alone. But I keep reading "has been said on reddit/discord" on a daily basis... the only true good thing about all that is that there's always someone who brings those news over here. It's hard to chillax these days where you've got to be on station 24/7 on social media like a broker in The Wall Street without getting dumped by society because you don't react within half a minute. But what do I care? Bear the consequences dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I do have a fb account even, but not letting anything push forward notifications to my cell phone, simply because I do NOT want to get some attention-drawing things like every five seconds. I don't even have the ring tone on.

I have Facebook and Twitter accounts too, but only to get tech support or to enter sweepstakes (I don't even accept friend requests from anyone, even family)! And I'd never put those crappy apps on my phone and let them data mine me...

But these apps have become ubiquitous because of their convenience and the almost real-time connectedness, and for most people DCS World is one of many, many topics they are able to keep track of with little effort (though, without realizing it, they tend to get overwhelmed with the combined workload of all the topics they follow on social media).

As mentioned previously, I think major news or announcements should be available first here on the "Official" forums (otherwise why have an "official" forum?), but that there should be no restrictions on accessing social media as it reaches many more people than these forums do, and that makes for stronger developers and better products.

Maybe we already have the best and most workable compromise with people cross-posting to this forum the important communications originating on social media...

This profile (jlummel) is not in use anymore!

I managed to recover my original forum profile, StressLess, and have gone back to using it!