F14 trim problem - pulls hard to the sky

bswift

I have seen this in a couple missions, the tomcat wants to pull hard to the sky.

I can't figure out if it's something strange I did.. but it's always when I'm returning to base / the boat.

Flaps are normal. Wings swept forward, speed is slow, altitude doesn't seem to matter.. actually neither does speed.. I can go full after burner and if I release the stick, it just shoots up to the sky.

Earlier in these missions it was perfectly fine. It's been a while since I've flown the F14 but I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion as to what it might be?

It's immensely frustrating when I'm trying to get back to the carrier but the plan will NOT drop altitude.

Holding full forward on the stick will keep the plane level, or maybe just a 1 degree drop in the nose.

I was also having this problem, was due to having a steering wheel, pedals and SKRS shifter plugged in also (see the thread "pitching up problem")

I unplug these now while playing DCS and touch wood haven't experienced the issue since.

Have you got anything plugged in that could be interfering with your control axis?

Normal behaviour for the cat. Its got lots of lift which wings fully forward. Just gotta trim your jet, and keep trimming your jet. Making large power inputs will require more trim corrections.

When landing, you need to use your DLCs to negate the lift and adjust your glide slope. Otherwise the cat does not want to drop altitude. Thats why they put the DLCs.

It could be my wheel, I'll have to go in and see if it's being registered or spin the wheel when this happens.

It's definitely not trim because the plane goes up as fast as if you yanked the stick all the way.

It might be that I oversped with flaps down or something.. but when I look back at my wing flaps and everything seem to be in order.

I flew again after posting this and the plane was fine returning to base, so I have to wait for it to be reproduced.

Thanks for the tips on things to look into.

I am having the same issues as the original post. confirmed flaps, gear up. trim bound to one place only with nothing else bound to it. No overspeed. Tried to trim on the ground after spawning a fresh start. Try to trim the plane out and the trim needles wiggle and dont move.

Edit: This is after the new 2.5.6 update I am having these issues. No issues last night before the update

Edited by Plasma43

Using an X-56 and logitech pro flight rudder. with track ir. No FFB used in the system

Check axis assignments. Maybe it was reseted by the update (like pitch axis on rudder or stuff like that).

DCS has a bad tendency to populate all axis on each device, stating with pitch/ roll/ yaw...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I have seen this in a couple missions, the tomcat wants to pull hard to the sky.

I can't figure out if it's something strange I did.. but it's always when I'm returning to base / the boat.

Flaps are normal. Wings swept forward, speed is slow, altitude doesn't seem to matter.. actually neither does speed.. I can go full after burner and if I release the stick, it just shoots up to the sky.

Earlier in these missions it was perfectly fine. It's been a while since I've flown the F14 but I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion as to what it might be?

It's immensely frustrating when I'm trying to get back to the carrier but the plan will NOT drop altitude.

Holding full forward on the stick will keep the plane level, or maybe just a 1 degree drop in the nose.

Interesting. I'm only seeing this thread now but I've had similar experiences before the 2.5.6 update so I don't know if it's still relevant.

I remember at least twice it had happened. Once I was doing an auto throttle ICLS landing with flaps down, gear down, DLC on and wings on auto (I was on glideslope). The other, when I was approaching the boat from 20NM out doing ACLS with auto throttle (same setup for landing, also on glideslope). The aircraft would pitch up with no reason. I found myself having to push hard forward on the stick to land in the ICLS case (Case 1 scenario). I even tried DLC to compensate to no avail. It occurred fairly close to the ship within 1 to 3NM. As for the ACLS case, I aborted the landing and went around... can't remember the exact distance to the ship went it started (around 9 to 12NM?). No pitch up during the second go around.

So it seems intermittent and only at slow speed.

Edited by Hexypu

I have never met this problem before 2.5.6.

I have Saitek X-65F without FFB.

For example, I start the quick mission AAR over Caucasus. Fly behind the tanker and try to trim - push the button on my joy but no reaction from Tomcat. Then activate autopilot (altitude holding) - no additional indication on the panel - autopilot works fine. My speed is around 300 knots, wings in AUTO mode and looks like everything is fine. However, when I switch off the autopilot my Tomcat begins slowly but with acceleration to pull to the space.

I do not touch trims; do not change power level for engines. Do nothing.

If my speed set around 400 knots or more, even if I turn on autopilot for holding altitude, all indicators will show that autopilot works fine, but Tomcat "pulls hard to the sky".

Sorry for my English. I cannot show any tracks – you probably know why it is.

However, I can make a short video if it is necessary.

After last update, the situation with Tomcat for me is looking so bad: no starting from Stennis, no rearming and refueling, awful lights in the night cockpit, and this pulling problem also…

No any reasons to fly in DCS World without F-14B.

Edited by kievbsm

This had happened to me a couple times and can't really figure out why. VKB GF2 and MCG Pro. I'd say about 30 to 40 degrees. I'll hold stick forward, try to trim nose down without effect & sometimes need to roll or reorient the aircraft and then seems to be normal.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

So, I've just finished to test trimms for F-14B.

What I've done:

- disconnected my joy and pedals from my PC

- removed all profiles for all devices and reset all controls settings to default state

- founded that F-14B pilot's page for control settings has no any keyboard keys attached to trimm's actions

- set LShift+S as trimms up and LShift+W as trimms down, LShift+A as trimms left and LShift+D as trimms right

- started quick standard mission "AAR over Caucausus"

- activated via RCtrl+Enter the control window to see the trimms state

- flew and press all keyboard combinations for trimms one-by-one

- found that LShift+A as trimms left and LShift+D as trimms right worked good

- and also found that LShift+S as trimms up and LShift+W as trimms down didn't work at all - the marker placed on each trimm's axis didn't move

So, there is not a joy problem for my case. Also all trimms work fine for another modules.

And only F-14B has got this problem after last update. :(

Dear HB! SOS!!!

I need your help!

If it needs I can give you all logs, setting - everything I have for clarify the problem point.

:helpsmilie: :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

Edited by kievbsm

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. I went into instant action mission for takeoff and while rolling down the runway the F14 pulls up. Trimming doesn't seem to work. I've only experienced this after the last update. I even went as far as uninstalling the F14 and reinstalling it and I still have the same issue.I don't have this issue with any other module.

• 3 months later...

Can confirm same issue here-latest beta w Saitek X52

Went searching after becoming frustrated with this. Every first boot and run I am having this issue. Double checked the USB Game Controller panel and my X52 is holding solid at mid point so no pulling happening outside F14-no prob in other modules, and seems like reboot of dcs is only fix but not always working as a workaround...please advise.

• 1 month later...

What is your trim setting on takeoff. Should be at 0 degrees. When you are landing rim is normally at 10-14 degrees. If you dont trim it to 0 degrees before your next takeoff. It'll still be at 10-14 degrees and your takeoff will pull you upwards... so check your trim

FC3 | UH-1H | A-10C | F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | P-51D | F-5E | AV-8B |

Caucasus | Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | The Channel |

SuperCarrier |

It isn't a takeoff issue. It happens in straight level flight. The aircraft starts pulling up and regardless of trim position you have to push the stick pretty much full forward to keep the aircraft level.

With all due respect we know how to fly our F14, we know how trim works and we have been flying this module for a long time now and pretty much bug free just before 2.5.6 dropped. Since then there has been issue after issue for us and the F14 is fast becoming unenjoyable to fly due to every mission ending up with at least one of our pilots having to log out of the session due to a bug.

As this is the only airframe that I fly I say these things with a tear in my eye. I just want a module that works consistently. Not too much to ask I don't think.

It isn't a takeoff issue. It happens in straight level flight. The aircraft starts pulling up and regardless of trim position you have to push the stick pretty much full forward to keep the aircraft level.

With all due respect we know how to fly our F14, we know how trim works and we have been flying this module for a long time now and pretty much bug free just before 2.5.6 dropped. Since then there has been issue after issue for us and the F14 is fast becoming unenjoyable to fly due to every mission ending up with at least one of our pilots having to log out of the session due to a bug.

As this is the only airframe that I fly I say these things with a tear in my eye. I just want a module that works consistently. Not too much to ask I don't think.

hes not exaggerating guys, i cant remember a single mission recently where everybody has even got into the air and most of those that do have some kind of issue.

its incredibly frustrating because theyr all so intermittent as to be impossible to reproduce.

heres a list off the top of my head of recent issues.

hud horizon rolling off axis throughout the flight

alignment crashing repeatedly (rio had to do it manually in the end last night after it repeatedly got stuck at 17)

trim saying screw this im going for a moon shot

tws saying nope and not locking anything (suspect it might be switching to rws instead as ive seen a thread for it)

tws working but stt saying nope (not notching/beaming and with plenty of closure)

tws and stt working but pal saying nope

or all of the above radar issues at the same time making us utterly useless

all of these issues at least 1 of us (6 pilots max on any mission) have had in the last half a dozen missions!

i have alot of patience will heatblur because i dont think for 1 second they broke anything and also intermittent problems that are very very difficult to reproduce are a nightmare!

but the truth of it is were slogging through a very frustrating experience atm and our campaigns etc are suffering because of it

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Hasn't happened to me in months, probably since Supercarrier. I might have try some more touch and goes and relaunches after trapping since the last patch.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Are you guys holding the trim button for the acceleration to kick in? The longer you hold, the faster the trim will go. Apart from its normal tendency to lift up, I cannot reproduce this issue. It is possible that if this is a saitek x56 problem (I tested it on x55 and couldnt reproduce, neither on WH, VKB and virpil), maybe the trim button is being held by the stick?

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I've noticed in my game that tomcat has an annoying habit of wanting to roll to the right if I start flying it after having flown the Huey.

it's very unlikely it comes from the module. I just quickly tried that, too, and couldnt reproduce.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Are you guys holding the trim button for the acceleration to kick in? The longer you hold, the faster the trim will go. Apart from its normal tendency to lift up, I cannot reproduce this issue. It is possible that if this is a saitek x56 problem (I tested it on x55 and couldnt reproduce, neither on WH, VKB and virpil), maybe the trim button is being held by the stick?

It's an intermittent fault Mike. When it happens you can move the trim down as far as it will let it go, hold your finger on it until the trim needle on the gauge is several degrees negative and even at that you have to push the stick virtually full forward to even fly level.

It hasn't happened much to me tbh but it does it on occasion and when it does its a real pain to get the ac home.

I have an X55 throttle and a Virpil VFX stick.