Do jettisoned fuel tanks explode?

JohnZ622

Yes :) Not sure if the exploding fuel tank is realistic.

Is not

Also not sure why there was a fireball catching up to the plane.
Because most movies with aviation themes are poorly made. I love movies like Flight of the Intruder and Fire fox but lets face it, very little of it is base on reality.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Jet fuel is very similar to diesel, it takes quite a lot to make it burn. Simply dropping it isn't going to do much except probably crack the tank open and spill it.

right, Jet fuel doesn t burn easily, unless you spill it

a French Mirage III have had to drop its 2 1700L fuel tanks on take off because its left tire exploded.

the Fuel tanks did burn ( lightened by the 160ish knots friction ? or the plane's AB plume ? )

the story ( in French ) : http://aviateurs.e-monsite.com/pages/1946-et-annees-suivantes/petites-causes-grands-effets.html

Everything about that movie was pure

EY6bzja.gif

LYVd1zX.gif

aK3A4-1500933281-1643-blog-MASH_pottergifs_main.gif

Irony is...criticizing a bad miltary (re:realism) movie by quoting a bad TV (re:realism) series.

That said...M*A*S*H was great for entertainment, and the short clip of F/A18 vs Russian SAM was actually pretty darn cool, as far as entertainment is concerned. Good graphics, aggressive flying, flares...yes drop tank fire ball was a bit over the top but ejection scene following was superb.

I’m not a real pilot nor am I a connoisseur of anything more complex than a Snickers bar...but it was good for me.

I wonder if anyone has ever been injured by jettisoned equipment though?

That does happen, although it's rather rare. As a matter of fact there is a WW2 US Navy instruction film that makes the point that a cartridge ejected from charging the guns can injure people on the ground.

P.S.:

@OP, it's the same thing about crashing cars, which - and it's hard to believe that Hollywood may have taken some liberty here for what would seem to be several years - take quite a lot of effort to explode.

The tank would need a heat source in order to ignite the fuel. A jettison tank will not on its own explode. Witness a scenario with hot brakes, that caught fire and then cooked off the fuel tank. Sent the nose cone of the 370g a pretty good distance.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Please don't link to that travesty of an aviation movie' date=' it makes me vomit.[/quote']

a true waste of some nice Superhornet footage

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Just curious, can you jettison external fuel tanks, have it explode and lure an IR missile away?

Only if you're flying an F-18F and that missile has been chasing you for more than 3 minutes. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: