Setting up new HOTAS

Hello fellows

I am coming off from a Saitek X52 hotas to a Thrustmaster Hotas.

The thrustmaster hotas is not full fledged as I have it as a combination of:

1. Thrustmaster Warthog flightstick

2. Thrustmaster TWCS throttle.

Mapped a few buttons in-game and experience has been nice so far but very limited in functionality.

Going the Thrustmaster Target software way to realistically maximize the hotas is a bit daunting as I am still reading the manual.

So I would be glad to get a profile for the FA-18 to start with or build upon from anyone using or familiar with this combination of hotas systems to enjoy dcs while I get my head around the Target software.

Thanks guys.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Most of the buttons you can just map in DCS.

If you want a few more just add a modifier joystick key in DCS under the Hornet.

I have CH gear and I can use the CH manager software if I choose. For the hornet I've just made my throttle pinky key a modifier.

Once this is set in DCS as a modifier, that's all it can be used for.

Now, when this key is pressed it allows me to program all the buttons on the "throttle" and "stick" again, doubling the keys available.

Example: Hold pinky key + Trim up. This could be your zoom in view. Hold pinky key + Trim right to reset.

Once the key is set, you just bind the key(s) you want the normal way except add the modifier key too.

See this guide to lean more about modifiers and how to set them.

How To Setup Controls and Joystick

The main ones I've add are the gear and flaps. Fiddling around with these on a keyboard is a nightmare for the case 1 break. So I recommend mapping these buttons first.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Most of the buttons you can just map in DCS.

If you want a few more just add a modifier joystick key in DCS under the Hornet.

I have CH gear and I can use the CH manager software if I choose. For the hornet I've just made my throttle pinky key a modifier.

Once this is set in DCS as a modifier, that's all it can be used for.

Now, when this key is pressed it allows me to program all the buttons on the "throttle" and "stick" again, doubling the keys available.

Example: Hold pinky key + Trim up. This could be your zoom in view. Hold pinky key + Trim right to reset.

Once the key is set, you just bind the key(s) you want the normal way except add the modifier key too.

See this guide to lean more about modifiers and how to set them.

How To Setup Controls and Joystick

The main ones I've add are the gear and flaps. Fiddling around with these on a keyboard is a nightmare for the case 1 break. So I recommend mapping these buttons first.

So much appreciation David.

I would have to go through the route you suggested.

I am quite familiar with using the modifier in dcs.

Have started search for best realistic mapping possible for the warthog flightstick and the twcs throttle.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I would just use Chuck's F/A-18C Hornet Guide

The F/A-18 is not to bad with the controls, well compared with the A-10C fire hands.

Chuck also has a pic of the real controls and warthog, that's how I set my controls up, just mimicking as close to the real stick as I could get it. Then add in a few modifiers to make VR and the carrier break easier.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I would just use Chuck's F/A-18C Hornet Guide

The F/A-18 is not to bad with the controls, well compared with the A-10C fire hands.

Chuck also has a pic of the real controls and warthog, that's how I set my controls up, just mimicking as close to the real stick as I could get it. Then add in a few modifiers to make VR and the carrier break easier.

Thanks

I use the TM WH throttle, a TM WH grip in a VPC base, and a DSD button box (Flight 2). The button box at about 100 USD is a good investment. I would never manage a modern aircraft without the added switches and buttons.

Attached .xls file shows my bindings on sheet "View".

Input_Config_FA-18C_TMWH Grip_T-50 Base.zip

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I use the TM WH throttle, a TM WH grip in a VPC base, and a DSD button box (Flight 2). The button box at about 100 USD is a good investment. I would never manage a modern aircraft without the added switches and buttons.

Attached .xls file shows my bindings on sheet "View".

Thanks for sharing. Cheers