AI back taxi behavior

Eagle7907

I’ve googled and flipped through the manual and can’t seem to find information about this.

My experience with AI wingmen back taxiing on the runway seems to be an unpredictable thing. For example, I’m flying a flight of four. I start my taxi first to get to hold short point first. I then taxi down runway to turn around pad do a 180 back on runway and “2” is stopped facing me about 2000’ away. “3” and “4” and holding short of runway at taxiway.

So I say an expletive and turn around again and position myself on the turn around but at the most extreme end so I can watch what “2” does. Sure enough, “2” taxi to the extreme end of runway and then turns in front of me, again nose to nose. Still “3” and “4” are enjoying the show midfield.

So I then say the expletive again attempt a pivoting turn holding the left brake. Scrape, “2 I’m hit!” “2 I’m hit!”.

My question is, what did I do wrong? Can someone provide me information as to what to expect the AI to do at airfields like this and how to mitigate? (This was on the PG map by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Okay so if I’m required to back taxi on the runway for takeoff, then I shouldn’t lineup on the runway. But where should I wait?

That’s the part I’m confused about. There isn’t really any clear instruction from ATC. There also isn’t really any clear documentation either. Back taxi and hope for the best?

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

You have airport charts in the kneeboard,at least for Caucasus. If ATC tells you to take off from RW 07 male sure to take the shortest route there using taxiways only and line up short of the active, then request take off clearance. Your wingmen should line up behind you.

That works well for airfields where you have a taxiway parallel to the active runway which provides entry/exit at each runway end. Or if you just have a taxiway that just intersects the runway close to a runway end (like in Batumi).

For some airfields like Abu Musa or Sirri Island in the PG or Beslan in the Caucasus where there are taxiways which only allow to enter the runway at or near the middle of it and where you usually would want the do a backtrack before takeoff, you are bound to face such issues with AI currently. I don‘t think there is a lot you can do to mitigate the issue. You might want to do your backtrack, line up for takeoff and start your run once your AI wingman has stopped (somewhere on the rwy) and your are confident that you can safely steer around him while accelerating. After you are airborne, the guy should be able to do his takeoff and join you a few moments later.

I’ve googled and flipped through the manual and can’t seem to find information about this.

My experience with AI wingmen back taxiing on the runway seems to be an unpredictable thing...

My question is, what did I do wrong? Can someone provide me information as to what to expect the AI to do at airfields like this and how to mitigate? (This was on the PG map by the way)

Apologies for the delayed response.

You need to stay off the active runway until your wingman makes it to the turnaround, that's all. For example, at Abu Musa, make the turn and stay above the line marking the start of the active runway:

I haven't checked all possibilities. I simply started with Abu Musa and taxied the way I thought I should given the wingnut's behaviors. It worked fine. Your wingman will follow you down to the node, 'though he might wait until you're there. Make the turn and stay off the active runway until he hits the node. Then take your position on the runway and he'll fall in behind you. The second element will taxi down to the node individually after your wingman is wheels up.

Also checked Beslan. Works there, too, and I imagine everywhere else. At Beslan, he enters the node from the front end. At Abu Musa, he entered from the back. Not sure why there was a different approach. Could have been my positioning. DK.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

AI back taxi behavior

Apologies for the delayed response.

You need to stay off the active runway until your wingman makes it to the turnaround, that's all. For example, at Abu Musa, make the turn and stay above the line marking the start of the active runway:

I haven't checked all possibilities. I simply started with Abu Musa and taxied the way I thought I should given the wingnut's behaviors. It worked fine. Your wingman will follow you down to the node, 'though he might wait until you're there. Make the turn and stay off the active runway until he hits the node. Then take your position on the runway and he'll fall in behind you. The second element will taxi down to the node individually after your wingman is wheels up.

Also checked Beslan. Works there, too, and I imagine everywhere else. At Beslan, he enters the node from the front end. At Abu Musa, he entered from the back. Not sure why there was a different approach. Could have been my positioning. DK.

Okay, thank you for the response. That was sort of what I was getting at. At Beslan, that makes sense that “two” enters the node at the beginning and not the end. I think it’s just where the map builders placed the taxi points for AI to follow. It’s a simple goof but I don’t think it would be worth the effort to gripe about it. Mostly because the ATC system is junk anyways and ED knows it.

Addendum:

That video is exactly the location I was referring to. Also noticed that the AI didnt takeoff until past the displaced threshold in that video. That is incorrect as well.

According to those markings in place, the pavement can be used from the beginning of the white arrow section for taxi AND takeoff.

Edited by Eagle7907