Logitech X-56 vs Warthog joystick

TL: DR

I really would love to hear from X-56 owners about the hardware quality and Programmability of the software - particularly with regards to shift modifiers

I didn't want to start spamming other threads, so have made a new one up here. (please no joystick wars lol).

My Warthog Joystick is dead, so I need a replacement. I've got 3 options:

• £350 to buy a new Warthog set
  • £250 for a new warthog joystick
  • £220 for a Logitch X56 joystick and throttle.

I put the first option in as my joystick originally died after the throttle was playing up. IF I were to buy a new joystick and use the OLD throttle I don't know how much life is left in her. It's working now, although it did start disconnecting over the last couple of days.

Warthog vs X56. My pros and cons.

Warthog:

PROs

I already have everything in place for a new stick

I've already got my programs set up

It's TOP quality

It has 4 joystick hat switches

CONS

It's expensive

No rudder

The feeling of spending money on something I "already have"

X-56

PROs

It has a rudder (rotaries - NOT fussed about the twist stick)

It saves me £100 over buying TM pedals

It's "cheap"

It comes with a joystick AND throttle

It'll be a new toy to learn (if it's powerful enough)

CONs

DOES the software allow for the pinky to be used as a modifier?

Modes: Having the toggle on the base of the throttle as opposed to the 3-way switch is a bad thing for me.

Has the "new" x-56 really fixed the original's hardware wiring "faults". ( https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/product/x56-space-flight-vr-simulator-controller)

Losing the 4th hat button on the joystick. The 4th hat on the joystick seems to be only a button. Who on earth decided on that!

Plastic / cheaper construction

I'll have to buy direct from Logitech - losing out on good old Amazon's amazing returns service

Honestly, I'm heading towards the X-56, but I'm weary if it will work as "fluid" as I like. I have the TM set up to macro different A-A/A-G key presses on the 3 way rocker switch.

Also, I've read some comments "somewhere" about the pinky modifier not actually allowing shifting. Is this an issue?

I really would love to hear from X-56 owners about the hardware quality and Programmability of the software. (mainly using the pinky for shifting I think).

MANY many thanks for any thoughts and opinions, Mr.R. :pilotfly:

(ps- buying tonight)!!!

I have the x56 and personally I dont mind it. I dont use the software as it has caused issues with getting command right. There is also a usb power issue that causes the software to freak out and randomly input keys or miss your inputs. I map all my controls in-game. I am looking at replacing the joystick at this point. The throttle is really nice on the x56 with all the buttons and axis but I dont like the joystick.

As a hog flyer missing the CMS thumb on the stick makes things interesting with some of the key bindings. Along with that the pivot cup that the joystick has at the base cases jinks in my movement that make it more challenging for AA Refueling and formations, etc.

While I am not the biggest fan I am not the biggest critic. I have been using for about a year and It works just fine. For a first Hotas or one on a budget it is great before going to the warthog or similar.

Just what I'm after Hallister, keep the comments coming chaps :thumbup:

I've read the USB issue is fixed if connected to USB3.

I had issues with my X55 till I ran it from a powered USB3.0 Hub, if I pull the power to the hub windows still picks it up and it "works" but have some hickups, power back on and no problems.

I responded on the other thread where it was a bit of an off topic. I'll amplify on that with response to a few things mentioned above.

If you have not done so you should go down to the input section and search up the thread started by a Logitech rep that lists the changes they made to the updated X56; these can be identified by the grey instead of blue graphics. Most of those changes appears to me to have worked. I'm plugged directly into a USB 3 on the laptop and not getting any of the ghost presses. I don't have any noise moving the stick around. Having opened it up to remove the grease I can verify they did change the wiring so that it's not binding when you reach full stroke on the throttle. The thing they say they fixed which they did not is the throttle resistance. This is too high, you absolutely cannot make quick, small, throttle movements of the type you're going to need to trap and refuel in the F18 module. You're going to get into the throttle and remove and remove grease if you go the X56 route.

The software isn't perfect but it is the only way to do some of the things you can do with the rotaries and buttons. You do get a lot of power there and you have to be careful to avoid things like unintended continuous key presses. It isn't all that hard to learn though and there are quite a few tube videos showing a lot of different button setting ideas and methodology.

The updated X556 was selling on Amazon for 197 when I purchased, not sure why you cant buy from there? Regardless the Warthog is in low supply right now (in the US) and when I was shopping a few weeks ago would have run 550 dollars. That may change at any time but the few places that had them in stock were fairly proud of the Warthog and pricing it accordingly.

Going over to the Warthog side you're talking about a stick I don't own. I'm still running my beloved Couger for my home HOTAS and it really feels like a piece of art compared to the X56. I suspect the Warthog would give the same vibe in comparison. My Cougar is also smoother, most particularly in the throttle. I really cant overstate the feeling of quality the Cougar oozes compared to the X56; not in the same ballpark.

Then again the X56 gives you a lot more buttons to play with sans modifier and with a modifier the more just gets more. You will need to use a combo of DCS and the Saitek software to use modifiers, it isn't native in the Saitek software like on the X52. Not sure if you're really going to need a modifier though, you get a lot of commands available in each mode and I find I'm not using up the available buttons.

Realistically if you accept the X56 for what it is (an el cheapo HOTAS costing half of what the good stuff runs) it's fine on it's own. You never really forget about the cheap feeling while you fly but it isn't intrusive either. You can ignore what doesn't work well and the rest is still a value proposition. You can do better though if you're will to spend. And wait I suppose if you want some of that Eastern love.

I found the x56 just fine. I use a blank profile and only thing I use the software for is so I can make things like the a/A weapon select on the stick work like it does on the real controller. If TM comes out with the hornet stick I'd probably buy it. But as of right now the 56 is working great

Does the weapon select have secondary functions? I know the SOI hat (castle) changes to the air to air/air to ground modes when in those master modes. At any rate I stayed all in on the profile and those modes work if you select them from the HOTAS category. Same with the paddle and pinkie.

I bought an x56 and went back to my x52. The things i don't like about the x56. Stiff throttles, sloppy joystick (requiring deadzones), poor button/switch placement. After fighting the x56 and wanting to like it I decided the x52 had enough buttons in more functional locations and smoother and less stiff movement. Sure you can use the pinky as a modifier... but it's not in a great location. Just my 2c. edit: spelling

Edited by xpantz

I have had an X56 for about 18 months now. There have been no problems with it (some report low build quality/things going wrong) - but I do keep it clean and the mini-sticks lubricated with a drop of light machine oil every few months.

I think it may be the best HOTAS I've had, all round. This despite me having an allergy to the plastic it's made from (I wear cotton gloves when I fly) - yet I still kept it and the only HOTAS I would replace it with would be the Virpil T-50, if I had enough money.

It has excellent movement in the stick - best I've had for controlling helicopters, regardless of which spring used. I tested all the springs and I tend to stick with the stiffest, out of personal preference.

Best of all, it's comfy to use. I sold my Warthog because after every combat mission my fingers were aching (I have a musculo-skeletal disease similar to arthritis). I have no such problem with the X56.

The only thing I dislike is the software, so I don't use it. You can set any number of shift/modifier keys within DCS itself - I have one on the stick (pinky) and one on the throttle (perky).

I also use it in other sims and it has been outstanding in all of them - especially Elite: Dangerous.

The only niggle I have is that one of the radial sliders is not centred at the physical detente position. It's great that they have those - but the lower one is not in the centre of travel and so it can be a bit frustrating when used for trim control.

This also goes for the crappy twist-grip, but I don't use that anyway.

Aside from the T-50 there is nothing currently on the market that I would exchange for my X56.

I've had: X52; G940; Warthog; CH Pro.

To put them in order for how happy I was with them:

X56

Warthog

G940

CH Pro

X52

Also - some motor racing sims I've used receive a constant output from the X56 (I think it's the mode switch - which I don't use but can't deactivate in any way) which prevents me from inputting any assignments for my wheel etc - so I have to virtually disconnect the X56 using USBDeview before starting such sims and then remember to reconnect again afterwards.

PS - I forgot - I did actually change the grease in the throttle to make it operate better. the grease it comes with is ridiculously viscous.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 3 months later...