Updated DCS Missile Performance - Forced AoA

Exorcet

I've been performing some casual testing on the update missiles in OB. The performance improvement is very noticeable at lower speed, slow missiles aren't always ignoreable now, but guidance still needs some tweaking to avoid sudden high g turns, especially if a target lock is lost for a second or two.

There is something that has me a bit curious though, even if it might not really impact missile performance. It's that the missiles seem to naturally balance themselves at positive AoA. They've done this since ever since AFM missiles were implemented and I'm not sure if this is causing them to fly less efficiently than they could otherwise. It's most noticeable when you fire a missile vertically and then watch it come back down. I've fired AMRAAM's up past 200,000 ft, which is quite a lot of flight time which I'd think would be enough to exhaust the battery. Yet when they come back down, they hold a positive AoA which increases drag.

A dead missile is obviously not very relevant to the sim, but if this artificial positive AoA is in effect during loft, it could cost the missile some performance. Guidance code is probably more influential overall but I think if something is causing weird AoA values it's probably hurting the missiles by some amount. Has anyone else noticed? Are the developers aware?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I am starting to wonder if the developers even care about fixing this issue. Thank God for mods though.

???

You're posting saying you don't think E.D. are interested in improving missile performance in reply to someone commenting on E.D.'s actual implementation of missile guidance changes & how they have improved missile performance...

Cheers.