Trying to learn about the Tacan but text disappears in training to quick?

joebloggs

I'm just in the 3rd part of training on the F18 and was so please with it up until now. When I was learning the start up procedure the text of the instructor would pop up and only disappear when I pressed space bar, which was great because it gave me time to take it all in.

Now I've reached the third part of training which is about the Tacan etc, but the text disappears giving me no time to look at the gauges and take in what the instructor is talking about?

How can I keep the text up because this is driving me mad. I keep on having to start the training mission because the text disappears before I can see what he means?

• Like 1

I'm just in the 3rd part of training on the F18 and was so please with it up until now. When I was learning the start up procedure the text of the instructor would pop up and only disappear when I pressed space bar, which was great because it gave me time to take it all in.

Now I've reached the third part of training which is about the Tacan etc, but the text disappears giving me no time to look at the gauges and take in what the instructor is talking about?

How can I keep the text up because this is driving me mad. I keep on having to start the training mission because the text disappears before I can see what he means?

I had the same problem. I stopped using the training for that reason and the fact that you can't back up to the previous screen. I run the sim in a window so that the bar across the bottom of the screen is visible. That way I can access Chucks guide that I have saved and can go to you tube for tutorials there. I pause the sim, do my research on either of the above, then un-pause.

How can I keep the text up because this is driving me mad.

Sadly, you cant, as it is something that has to be built onto the mission ... however, you can use the MizEdit tool to export all the text of the mission, like this:

RNxlarO.jpg

I can then place the text onto a Tablet, or turn it into a PDF and place it on the kneeboard and then refer to it when flying the mission.

The MizEdit tool is intended for translating missions onto other languages, but has the option to export all the mission's text which comes in handy for this ... when exporting tell it to export the EN (ENglish) locale .. download the tool here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1862911/

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Sadly, you cant, as it is something that has to be built onto the mission ... however, you can use the MizEdit tool to export all the text of the mission, like this:

RNxlarO.jpg

I can then place the text onto a Tablet, or turn it into a PDF and place it on the kneeboard and then refer to it when flying the mission.

The MizEdit tool is intended for translating missions onto other languages, but has the option to export all the mission's text which comes in handy for this ... when exporting tell it to export the EN (ENglish) locale .. download the tool here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1862911/

Best regards

Just looked at this tool, but how do you extract the text from the training missions in DCS with it? There's no instructions on how to use it. Cheers!

Joe I just ran the mission and I think I've found your problem.

You're clicking the cockpit indicator (yellow box) before you've finished reading the text.

Listen to the audio, read the text, then when you have understood the information, press the appropriate control. If you press the control before you're ready the tutorial cycles to the next step as soon as the audio finishes.

Use the pause button, it will leave everything on the screen and "pause" your training - but you can read all the text, and then follow the instructions you were given. Not the most ideal solution, probably, but a functional one.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Just looked at this tool, but how do you extract the text from the training missions in DCS with it? There's no instructions on how to use it. Cheers!

Not at the Pc at the moment, but its on the first menu of the app, "save as text" is the option at that menu, it will ask the locale you want to export, type EN for english.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Joe I just ran the mission and I think I've found your problem.

You're clicking the cockpit indicator (yellow box) before you've finished reading the text.

Listen to the audio, read the text, then when you have understood the information, press the appropriate control. If you press the control before you're ready the tutorial cycles to the next step as soon as the audio finishes.

I'll give that a try, but I'm sure I wasn't pressing anything before he finished speaking. I'll try it again later though and let you know if it still does it. I'll also try the pause to see if that helps and I can still see the text. Cheers!

If you're not doing it, then something in your control setup is causing the tutorial to register a click of some sort.

If you touch nothing (after finishing the sections advanced by "Space") the text should remain, and nothing should happen until you click the appropriate control as indicated by the yellow box. If this doesn't work and it's not a control issue than I suggest the next step is to run a repair.

Hope you have this sorted soon!

If you're not doing it, then something in your control setup is causing the tutorial to register a click of some sort.

If you touch nothing (after finishing the sections advanced by "Space") the text should remain, and nothing should happen until you click the appropriate control as indicated by the yellow box. If this doesn't work and it's not a control issue than I suggest the next step is to run a repair.

Hope you have this sorted soon!

Will I have to do all my controls again after a repair?

Will I have to do all my controls again after a repair?

No, you shouldn't have to reassign your controls after running the repair tool. But you can always go into the folder where your control configs are saved - and make a copy of them just in case.

Personally, I run the repair tool at least once a week, and have never had it overwrite my control settings.

Cheers,

Don

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Not at the Pc at the moment, but its on the first menu of the app, "save as text" is the option at that menu, it will ask the locale you want to export, type EN for english.

Unfortunately, I am getting an error about missing dll when trying to run .exe file.

I downloaded again and tried, same result.

Is there any special way of installing that tool? Description in Downloads does not say much.

That is the message I am getting, downloaded for the third time... 🙂

Unzipped, and trying to run exe file.

TEMP01.jpg

1 hour ago, arb65912 said:

That is the message I am getting, downloaded for the third time... 🙂

Your windows is missing the Visual C ++ runtime .. install this Microsoft file to restore it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arb65912 said:

I thought that maybe because I am on Windows 11 made the difference

Actually, Windows 11 might be the culprit here, as Windows 10 does include that runtime by default, while it seems that Windows 11 does not include it (as it's pretty old)

On 10/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, Ziptie said:

No, you shouldn't have to reassign your controls after running the repair tool. But you can always go into the folder where your control configs are saved - and make a copy of them just in case.

makes  lt  so easy  to  re install  your  control imputs  if  something  happens

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here pilot guage

Its old but newer pilots may add more

TACAN - Tactical Air Navigation is used for moving things like ships

Not as powerful as Hi-VOR but same concept except station passage is min DME

Hard to directly overfly

Hope its a start

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD