New Pilot saying hello.

BertoneX

Hello all...I was browsing youtube last month and a video for the upcoming F14 came up, watched that and was blown away. I've been out of the flight sim scene for a good 10+years but before that played solid from the mid 80's on. My grandpa had a Commodore 64 with Solo Flight and I played that for entire weekends when they'd let me stay. That droning sound from the game still fresh in my memory.

I still have all the Jane's games from the 90's, I think just about every MS flight sim, plus combat simulators, the original IL2.....Dynamix - Aces over Europe (who remembers that one), and others I'm forgetting the titles to. I think FSX was the last sim I played until now and DCS. What a leap!

So after seeing the F-14 video and finding out that DCS is free I immediately downloaded it. Oh ya, good stuff.

I played around with the TF-51 for a bit and when the 1/2 price sale came up I was ready! I got Normandy + assets, The real P-51, Spitfire, 109, 190, Mig15, F86, L-39 plus Charnwood for the Mustang, Big show and Epsom for the spit.

I haven't started the campaigns yet. I've only flown the Mustang, 109 and Mig15 so far. Maybe playing flight sims for 20 years helped, I've had no problems with the WWII planes. First flight in the 109 I took off, flew around, made a few touch-n-goes and then a full stop without bending the plane. Only got sketchy on the first roll out, I almost lost it there! I've made sure I'm on sim and not the game setting. No assist on.

I'm using my crappy Extreme 3d Pro from the early 2000s. The rudder (twist) was pretty twitchy, but added in some curves and a deadzone and now we all good. Planning to upgrade my controller situation after my wallet recovers from all the modules I just bought, plus the new GPU, PSU and 27" monitor....whoops. Free game huh? I'd like a TrackIR ASAP as well.

I've been doing the 1vs1 Mustang vs the 109. I can defeat the Mustang consistently now. Multiplayer here I came.....I'm mostly interested in playing WWII dogfighting so hopefully I can find other players sometime. I've looked at the servers and haven't seen anyone playing on a Normandy map yet.

Sorry for the long first post...I'll try to keep that under control next time.

Welcome to the forums-and DCS ! It's a really exciting time to be a flight-simmer , old , new , or returnee :)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Pretty much the same story here. Im more into the modern stuff. But I can fly and sort fight the 21 and now i can land the harrier on a deck and use about half the weapons on the harrier, though tanking still eludes me. Really looking forward to the tomcat.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi BertoneX,

Welcome to DCS

It makes it much easier picking up a new flight if you already have a good understanding of the fundamentals from other sims. Many here help the guy's just getting start as it can be a big daunting/frustrating a first getting every thing setup.

Was just reading the latest newsletter about the new dedicated server technology. It's being tested on the Burning Skies Multiplayer Server, not sure what map it's on?

Perhaps take a look at that server to see how many online. Here's their website.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

In stead of the 27" I'd recommend; go get a VR headset. I myself got a Rift today, and it's far more immersive than a flatscreen, you wouldn't believe. :)

Welcome to DCS.

Love my rift for single player with modded label and case 1 for the f/A-18.

Not so good for spotting enemy in multiplayer (No labels allowed) and then you will also need trackir, well it's very highly recommended.

The OP seems like he really wants to get into MP battles, so for now I would stick to trackir. You really do want to try VR, it's indescribable how good it is, even with the res drawbacks.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Love my rift for single player with modded label and case 1 for the f/A-18.

Not so good for spotting enemy in multiplayer (No labels allowed) and then you will also need trackir, well it's very highly recommended.

The OP seems like he really wants to get into MP battles, so for now I would stick to trackir. You really do want to try VR, it's indescribable how good it is, even with the res drawbacks.

Yes, but, he also said he especially likes WWII planes. And in those planes you can't really do BVR, it's mostly dogfighting at close range.

I'm sorry, I'm just overwhelmed by the intense first experience of DCS in VR. :thumbup:

Edited by dawgie79

I'm sorry, I'm just overwhelmed by the intense first experience of DCS in VR. :thumbup:

As i hope to be very soon !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes, right now I'm more into the WWII planes. I will be getting the A10 once I have a better controller setup and of course I'll be buying the F-14.....I was 7 when Top Gun came out, so that outta be enough explanation for that.

I've read many posts from ppl having trouble controlling the old warbirds. Playing sims forever definitely helps.

I also hold, or held, single and multi commercial license with instrument. Though haven't flown PIC since 2006ish. Cost too much personal and I didn't really enjoy flying as a job, I flew pipeline (as a right seat "observer" we called it, but I was on the controls a lot, 182rg) for a few years and it was making me not enjoy flying. So I quit and got a real job. I plan to get back into flying for real after the kids are thru college and moved out. In something fun like a Vans or Pitts. Not another high wing Cessna. To me a high wing cessna was like flying a minivan. I have a few hours in a champ, was working towards my tail wheel endorsement, but ran outta money. Have been lucky enough to get rides in a stearman, T6 and Nanchang. Tandem is where it's at for me.

But for now this sim is so dang real, I'm into it!

I can see myself going VR in the future. I'd love to try it. But that will require a dedicated computer and space for it. I don't think the wife would appreciate the family computer tethered to a flight seat and HOTAS. She's already uneasy about this new 27" monitor I parked on the desk.

What do I need to be able to chat during multiplayer? A decent headset? I need to get that going then try to find some ppl to start flying with.

The way it's going, these "games" and VR might be so good in 10 yrs I may not even need a real plane by then.....hmmmmm.

Yep,

Once the resolution is just a bit better for VR and then grab one of these 3 Dof platforms with yaw, which are getting more affordable you'd be set...:)

Headset with mic, bind to hotas.

Get to know teamspeak

Many use Discord so get an idea how to use that too. It's like a forum plus speech type of thing, depending the ---> thread your in.;)

and DCS Simple Radio

You haven't ground looped a stearman have you....

Cool video if your into taildraggers

Yes, the stearman's sort of ok....;)

Edited by David OC

...Dynamix - Aces over Europe (who remembers that one)

I do! And Aces of The Pacific, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Their Finest Hour, Red Baron etc. :)

Sim world has changed a lot since those days. Welcome to DCS :)

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Thanks for the info so far guys! I'm gonna get Discord. I played online for the first time last night. In a free play no weapons group. Had fun flying out to the carrier and landing on it in the P51. HA! Even picked up a few other guys in P51s and we did some formation flying and landing on the carrier. What a blast. But, not being able to talk is a huge limitation. Trying to fly formation and type text on the keyboard.....not gonna work.

So a headset is next on my list.

They have full motion chair rigs???.....holy crud. I bet that and VR and you're there. This will be the next best thing to a reality that can't exist. NONE of us will ever get to fly a real F-14, most of us will never fly a P51, or Mig-15, so this is it....I think it's gonna be a pretty awesome time to be into sims!

I used FS2004 a lot while working on my instrument rating. Being able to fly the actual approaches using the same GPS we had in the real plane was a HUGE advantage. I nailed the check ride because I knew it so well. The examiner said it was by far the best check ride he had ever had, and my instructor couldn't believe how impressed he was. This examiner didn't blow smoke, he was a very serious old man. My instructor at the time was a younger guy so he was into the sims, but I remember a few older instructors that thought sims were BS. They laughed at my instructor and I spending hours on my laptop "flying" all the approaches and holds...but I shut them up.

But FS2004 was nothing compared to the realism in this sim now......or maybe immersion is the better word. FS2004 was dead on for the IFR stuff. It just didn't feel like being in a real plane. But I get little moments of that "feeling" while playing DCS. Add a full chair and VR....sheese....gonna be amazing!

Yep, sims have come a long way.

I spoke to a pilot quite awhile ago about how he use this Q400 to get his type rating. Those same guy's also build full D level sims for training, so the sim is cRazy accurate for training (Every fuse/Training console version)

The big thing we still need is a new affordable force feedback stick.

Guy's here are still using the Microsoft force feedback 2 (1998) The only real good ones cost.... $$$ and the full software is not compatible for DCS, they say it will be at some point. The force still works, just not adjustable force from the sim. (Sim forces needed more for taildraggers then jets)

I'm looking to upgrade and the higher end options at the moment.

VKB-SIM Flight Gear

VIRPIL Controls

Warthog hotas

The one I'm after is from VKB (Gunfighter Pro with the MCG PRO Grip) just very hard to get one....Always out of stock.:mad:

Some of these guy's can also be found here if you need to ask something.

ED Forums » English » DCS World Topics » Input and Output

9752c1_ee10823a3b0d41b4b4d3fe6cf8ccd841~mv2.webp

Edited by David OC

Hi Mate!

I have to agree DCS is the only realistic flight sim about for military aircraft. It is a massive sandbox when you get to grips with the editor!

Track ir 5 is a must! I have a Gen 1 HTC Vive, but it has sketchy performance especially on more demanding missions! I still go back to track ir every time.

I have tried many control setups. The best and realistic is the full Thrustmaster Warthog! I use the usual Saitek Pro Rudders and get a pretty decent feel from it all! I like all the new aircrafts, including the FA18C, however still fall back to the A10C. I can master the startup without any prompts and know the systems very well! Several years of muscle memory!

I did a little flying with RAF Air and really enjoyed the multiplayer! Just didn’t get enough time to do it all the time!

For maps I have them all!

I am still using Caucasus and still finding new valleys and areas to attack!

Welcome and hope to see you online sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm so glad to see new people finding their way into DCS. It so much reminds me of myself when I have found about DCS being a thing.

The HW upgrades that followed were massive. :)

TrackIr is the best thing before you will be ready to invest in a VR setup. To be honest VR has still a long way to go to be viable in Multiplayer dogfights, the power it needs from GPU is not yet there to support 2 x 4K displays.

Welcome to the community.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

In stead of the 27" I'd recommend; go get a VR headset. I myself got a Rift today, and it's far more immersive than a flatscreen, you wouldn't believe. :)

Welcome to DCS.

There are 32" option monitors tho. And you probably wouldn't do VR all the time, what about desktop use, I personally don't like VR replacing the screens completely, but being coexistant.

Also, ofcourse go ahead if budget allows, but I'd wait for VR to mature more. HDR didn't even come to monitors properly yet and what about WCG and not all the modules have the PBR cockpits either yet and ED is still some way out for Vulkan API and VR Improvements.

So the wowfactor would be a lot bigger once those things are in and ofcourse by that time a better VR headset with the necessary pixel count (resolution) would be available.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

There are 32" option monitors tho. And you probably wouldn't do VR all the time, what about desktop use, I personally don't like VR replacing the screens completely, but being coexistant.

Also, ofcourse go ahead if budget allows, but I'd wait for VR to mature more. HDR didn't even come to monitors properly yet and what about WCG and not all the modules have the PBR cockpits either yet and ED is still some way out for Vulkan API and VR Improvements.

So the wowfactor would be a lot bigger once those things are in and ofcourse by that time a better VR headset with the necessary pixel count (resolution) would be available.

Well, really a lot of people talk about the resolution, but I find that a bit exaggerated to be honest. Sure, you can't see DDI's and gauges and such real clearly as you can on a screen, you can still read them a bit, but the immersion makes you forget that. Plus, once you've learned an aircraft to a level you can operate it without thinking, it becomes even more immersive.

I actually was worried about the resolution of VR (I have a Rift) as well, untill I bought one two days ago and tried it. Really surprised at how clear everything still is, despite the resolution.

But that's just me. :)

Well, really a lot of people talk about the resolution, but I find that a bit exaggerated to be honest. Sure, you can't see DDI's and gauges and such real clearly as you can on a screen, you can still read them a bit, but the immersion makes you forget that. Plus, once you've learned an aircraft to a level you can operate it without thinking, it becomes even more immersive.

I actually was worried about the resolution of VR (I have a Rift) as well, untill I bought one two days ago and tried it. Really surprised at how clear everything still is, despite the resolution.

But that's just me. :)

The problem comes in multiplayer where you cannot spot enemies as labels are not allowed in multiplayer. You are on big disadvantage with VR there.

Nobody is disputing the fact that VR is the best for immersion. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

If you want a monitor you could try an Asus 43 it's not perfect but it has HDR and 4K and at $325 it's a deal. I have it and the Rift but I always fly in the Rift I can read everything I need and it makes close formation and combat spread way easier thanks to the 1:1 tracking.

Input devices, I am with you on the VKB mcg pro ,just be patient they do come back in stock and the Virpil with the deskmounts is a good alternative if you can't wait. I have both and the Warthog throttle with MFG Crosswinds. For me this is the best setup tho somewhat pricey. I have my Saiteck Combat pedals and Warthog stick but the gymbal was well worn by the end.

As to multiplayer I would get used to the radar and then it's not so bad.

Labels are always on sorta in DCS it's called the black pixel but it is a game so I wouldn't let your score in multiplayer worry you , VR is the way to go and there are plenty of outfits that do co-op missions regularly which are always great fun plus you can run the missions semi realistically which you don't really see on the big multiplayer servers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The problem comes in multiplayer where you cannot spot enemies as labels are not allowed in multiplayer. You are on big disadvantage with VR there.

Nobody is disputing the fact that VR is the best for immersion. :)

True in a way, but that problem could be "solved" if you'd setup multiplayer servers where only VR-users are allowed, so that everyone has the same disadvantage. :smartass:

You and others are right though. It's not that feasible for a multiplayer environment.