Am i going mad ...?

chaser

How can I explain this -

Im sat on runway 27, which i understand is at a heading of 270, so if i flew in a straight line at 270 I should be able to do a 180 turn and return on a heading of 090 to the run way ive just taken off from - but i dont

Are my math right ? am i going mad - what am i missing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably the distance North or South you cover during the turn. You should bank left or right a little after takeoff, flight out a ways, THEN turn around (make a right turn if you banked left, vice versa). Then you'll be lined up with the runway again.

Remember you're traveling a few hundred kmh. A slow turn equals a mile or two one side or the other.

Also, most problems people have with landing I've found is they start approach too close in. You fly out 5+ miles/10km and THEN approach.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If you turn 180, you will be going 090, but offset by your turn rate. Think of it like the shape of a capsule. (_________)

unless you reverse course with an immelmen or split-s [vertical moves] you will be off course of the runway and need corrections.

Probably the distance North or South you cover during the turn. You should bank left or right a little after takeoff, flight out a ways, THEN turn around (make a right turn if you banked left, vice versa). Then you'll be lined up with the runway again.

Remember you're traveling a few hundred kmh. A slow turn equals a mile or two one side or the other.

Also, most problems people have with landing I've found is they start approach too close in. You fly out 5+ miles/10km and THEN approach.

Thanks I was planning on running touch and go but it was driving me made as i could not get back to the airport ill try what you suggested thank you :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How can I explain this -

Im sat on runway 27, which i understand is at a heading of 270, so if i flew in a straight line at 270 I should be able to do a 180 turn and return on a heading of 090 to the run way ive just taken off from - but i dont

Are my math right ? am i going mad - what am i missing

Not sure if it is your case, but keep in mind, that some modules require their gyroscopes to spin up before your HSI readings become valid. That is applied to a cold start of course. For example, cold start Su-25, and quickly start taxiing...., you will see HSI is off big time.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

If you turn 180, you will be going 090, but offset by your turn rate. Think of it like the shape of a capsule. (_________)

unless you reverse course with an immelmen or split-s [vertical moves] you will be off course of the runway and need corrections.

Thank you I get it now :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to practice this in BoB . You can fly out a few miles , make a turn to 90° off course , reverse the turn , and if you held constant bank angle/pull throughout , you'll end up flying directly towards and lined up with the runway .

I called it a light-bulb turn , and used it to practice landings in the Spit . Needless to say , I got a lot of practice ! I'm sure ATC wasn't happy tho....

You can also do a half+ loop & rollout to accomplish the same thing . Bit easier to keep everything in sight...i use this to see the effect of practice bombing .

Of course the best thing to do is a standard-rate turn at both ends of the racetrack , extending downwind to give yourself time to slow and configure the aircraft . After a little practice , you'll be able to do the whole thing visually , without worrying so much about bank angles , etc .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Also I am not sure that the runway number is exactly it's course. They seem to me to be close but not exact. In another sim I do a lot of short hops and I set it up so I start on the runway. As I am sitting setting up the flight, I note the heading displayed on the instrument panel. That is the exact heading number.

Thanks I was planning on running touch and go but it was driving me made as i could not get back to the airport ill try what you suggested thank you :pilotfly:

You should setup in a pattern to do touch and go's.

circuit_checks_profile.gif

Similar way we do it in the F/A-18 for Case 1 practice with the hook up.

If your using the A-10C, F-5E. Setup the TACAN and HSI for the Airport distance and Runway direction.

us_navy_day_case_1_landing_pattern.jpg?ssl=1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Not sure if it is your case, but keep in mind, that some modules require their gyroscopes to spin up before your HSI readings become valid. That is applied to a cold start of course. For example, cold start Su-25, and quickly start taxiing...., you will see HSI is off big time.

This too. Su-25T takes several minutes for the HUD and HSI to align correctly. I've gotten completely lost before over that. Very hard to navigate when each instrument says something different :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2