wheel brakes (analog)

aledmb

hey guys!

i have independent brakes in my rudder pedals, but the yak-52 doesn't seem to have analog brakes, right?

when i try to map the brake axis (analog) to an axis on my pedals, it activates both sides (visible in the controls indicator).

how do you guys map the wheel brakes?

The Yak-52 doesn't have toe brakes on the pedals. Look at the stick. See the lever that looks like the brake handle on a bicycle? That's the brakes.

So they've modeled it for axis assignment, but not to toe brakes because the real airplane doesn't have them. IF you have a lever on your stick, you're all set. If not, you'll have to decide which axis seems closest to right. I use a slider on my stick, but have sometimes used a lever on my throttle quadrant.

As long as we're talking about the brakes, you'll find that the ground handling is easier with a touch of brakes on. With brakes off, it won't steer as well. So when taxiing, give it a slight touch of brakes and work the throttle.

The Yak-52 doesn't have toe brakes on the pedals. Look at the stick. See the lever that looks like the brake handle on a bicycle? That's the brakes.

So they've modeled it for axis assignment, but not to toe brakes because the real airplane doesn't have them. IF you have a lever on your stick, you're all set. If not, you'll have to decide which axis seems closest to right. I use a slider on my stick, but have sometimes used a lever on my throttle quadrant.

yeah, my stick does not have an axis... guess i'll use something in the throttle for that.

As long as we're talking about the brakes, you'll find that the ground handling is easier with a touch of brakes on. With brakes off, it won't steer as well. So when taxiing, give it a slight touch of brakes and work the throttle.

i figured that out very quickly, but i still don't get why the brakes make it easier to steer? maybe because of the weight transfered to the front wheel?

thank you for the help! :thumbup:

i figured that out very quickly, but i still don't get why the brakes make it easier to steer? maybe because of the weight transfered to the front wheel?

They are differential brakes; when you depress the rudder pedal on one side and squeeze the brake lever, the corresponding wheel on that side brakes, while the other wheel does not brake (and vice versa). The front wheel itself does not brake/steer.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

They are differential brakes; when you depress the rudder pedal on one side and squeeze the brake lever, the corresponding wheel on that side brakes, while the other wheel does not brake (and vice versa). The front wheel itself does not brake/steer.

oh, that's so simple... i wish i knew the basics before posting such dumb questions.

thank you!

In the real plane we tend to taxi a little faster than normal Western planes in order to have airflow over the rudder, this lets us steer and preserve air since the compressor refills the main tank slowly at less than flight power.

In close quarters, you lead with rudder, use maximum deflection typically, THEN stab the brakes with a squeeze of the lever - so if you want to turn left for example you put in full left rudder and will then squeeze and release the brake lever several times to get the nosewheel to brake over and turn left. After about 5 minutes it becomes second nature.

Ideally you should use an analog axis because in the real plane you can modulate the pressure, just not too many sticks that are setup to accurately model this system.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMFA-122)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

By the way, as long as we're talking about this, does anyone know of a PC joystick that does have a brake lever?

I thought I saw a VKB with one at some point. With all the Russian and British aircraft that I fly in my sims, I'm thinking that a second joystick would be a good idea.

And if I could find a longer stick with a brake lever, so much the better. And then I need to upgrade my old rudder pedals. And I could use a new throttle quadrant.

So, any peripheral recommendations related to flying would be appreciated. I'll try to break the news to my wife gently before I start upgrading...

By the way, as long as we're talking about this, does anyone know of a PC joystick that does have a brake lever?

The VKB Gunfighter w/ MCG grip's brake lever (analog axis) works really well in DCS; that's what I use as well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

In close quarters, you lead with rudder, use maximum deflection typically, THEN stab the brakes with a squeeze of the lever - so if you want to turn left for example you put in full left rudder and will then squeeze and release the brake lever several times to get the nosewheel to brake over and turn left. After about 5 minutes it becomes second nature.

can you replicate that exact technique in DCS?

i've been trying and it's kind of 8 or 80 for me... it either doesn't turn or completely overreacts.

can you replicate that exact technique in DCS?

i've been trying and it's kind of 8 or 80 for me... it either doesn't turn or completely overreacts.

Yes. As AcroGimp mentioned, you get used to it quickly. It's very similar to other tricycle gear equipped planes without nosewheel steering

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I'm simply using the trigger on my T16000M for braking.

Nice.:thumbup: But this is not analogue ands makes it... strange..

The Virpil grips have a break lever, too.

https://virpil-controls.eu/shop/grips.html

Btw:

I use my two toe brakes for braking in the Y-52. I combinded them both to a new averaged axis in a virtual joystick (vJoy) using the tool "Universal Control Remapper"

https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12249

I assign all commands in DCS to the virtual joystick. If I switch the stick, I only need to change the setup once in the UCR and all works in DCS. For all aircrafts.

Nice.:thumbup: But this is not analogue ands makes it... strange.

Sounds more strange than it actually is because IRL you press the lever/trigger just momentarily after applying rudder to get the Yak (or any other plane without NWS) to turn, that's why it feels surprisingly realistic.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I use a half of the rudder axis on my twcs throttle. To do that, set the axis to "slider" and give it a 50% deadzone. You may also have to invert it, I can't remember.

I don't own the 52 but I do something similar with my TWCS rudder for other aircraft.

This setup uses the left side paddle for braking - on some aircraft you need to un-tick 'INVERT' or else the brakes are locked on.

tlYhCkI.png