DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

The developers want to test the product on a broad range of hardware and software environments to find problems they didn't know about so that they can say with some certainty that the product is ready for release once the newly found bugs are fixed.

So far - Open beta patches are released to commercial version within a few day, a week at worst. And in most of the case, they is just no difference, despite all the bugs complain - then we see a hotfix coming afterward, following the same pattern.

That is a personnal analysis and I may be wrong, but i think Open Beta is more a kind of "safety catch". If they is a major showstopper, like BOSD or CTDs, then they will hold up before releasing it to the standard version and just tell the OB users "sorry it's a beta, hold on for the fix", and rework it. If nothing MAJOR arises, then they release the patch a few days after, wether it's bugged or not. Note I have nothing wrong with this. :P

I would also be interrested to know the customer ratio between OB and standard. It seems to me all the DCS drugged guyz are using openbeta, since all servers are still full after going to openbeta.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is "CPU multi-threading" the same thing as utilizing multiple cores of a processor?

Yes.

I have an i7 with four cores. Edge does not have "CPU multi-threading". Does that mean that it will not use more than one core of my four core processor?

Yes, and no. As far as we know, DCS won't use more than the 2 threads (one for sound) that it uses now. However, EDGE will use DX11 which, in turn, can take advantage of multiple cores/threads.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Is "CPU multi-threading" the same thing as utilizing multiple cores of a processor?

i think that is not the same thing, i7 got four cores but capable to utilize eight threads

unfortunately dcsw utilizes only one core at present, so your total cpu load is ~25% always because only one core works on 100% :cry:

sign-pic4.jpg

i think that is not the same thing, i7 got four cores but capable to utilize eight threads

unfortunately dcsw utilizes only one core at present, so your total cpu load is ~25% always because only one core works on 100% :cry:

Not entirely true. DCS currently uses two cores according to dev posts. One for sound, one for everything else.

My hope is that the mission editor will allow you to place units (infantry and zu-23) onto roof tops.

its able to be done now. so im sure it will be able to do 2.0 just better!

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Not entirely true. DCS currently uses two cores according to dev posts. One for sound, one for everything else.

maybe, but iv never seen high cpu loads on other cores, i mean dcsw stresses only one core (load is 100%)

other core loads (core1) ~0%, except core0-with windows stuffs (~5%) - if i set to use dcsw on core2 and core3 only

sign-pic4.jpg

Long time ago I've read that ED was working about 3D mission editor which is quite friendly for people who want to set units up exactly as they want. Will be it in DCS 2?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Long time ago I've read that ED was working about 3D mission editor which is quite friendly for people who want to set units up exactly as they want. Will be it in DCS 2?

Not in the initial release I believe. But it was said somewhere that in DCSW 2, main menu will be part of the engine itself (i.e. no more separate launcher.exe and dcs.exe). This would mean 3D units in encyclopedia, livery preview in editor, and yes, 3D editor would be possible too (although I don't know any details about this one).

But it was said that DCSW 2 won't make use of these features right from the start, they will be added in later.

I am curious about bug where lights from plane on the ground can light terrain up behind hangars :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Now light "produced" by plane which stays in front of the hangar lights terrain up behind hangar... normally there would be darkness.

ಠ_ಠ

I think it is just wip... But the lights seem lacking at night. It just seems too dim. Are they dynamic lights or just baked on?

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I think it is just wip... But the lights seem lacking at night. It just seems too dim. Are they dynamic lights or just baked on?

Without seeing it in motion it looks like bake on lighting. Hope fully the dynamic type come in as that's the best part from those videos we are not suppost to post about. Looks epic flying at night sure hope we get that too

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Thank You

My sincere Thanks and appreciation to all The Talented Developers working hard on EDGE,NTTR and all the other maps in development,I can't even comprehend the amount of painstaking work involved to make what's Old New and do it with all the new features that are coming to DCS World.Cheers!!:thumbup:

I hope you all have a fantastic,fun and peaceful Holiday Season with your families,Some well deserved time off to enjoy with those you Love.

I believe that you are going to set a New Milestone with your work in Flight Simulation,Once users start posting in game screenshots of NTTR The Community will be coming to DCS in Droves with $Cash$ in hand:)

I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year,And a Very Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate.

imagejpg1_zps8a1d9cdc.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]