bomber formations

rogonaut

Just an FYI for the old bomber mods like the He111. When they were released aircraft in the strategic bomber class could only be a single aircraft in a flight so there is a parameter you should be able to locate in the main aircraft lua that looks like singleInFlight = true change this to singleInFlight = false being careful not to chop off the comma at the end of the line. You will then be able to have up to 4 aircraft in a flight and with the changes that came in with the B17 from ED all the aircraft will appear in game - well they did for me with a quick test of the He111 this evening anyway.

So for an example to help out, if you look in the He111 folder you'll a file named something like He111.lua. Open it up with notepad++, scroll down to around line 223 and you find the parameter I mention above. Change it as suggested, save it and exit. Load up DCS and see if you can create a formation of 4 aircraft in the editor and go from there. All the bombers like the B26 and B24 etc that Markindel released will be like this if I recall things correctly.

Please note that if you use something like JSGME you need to unload the mod before you make the edit and then reload the mod before starting DCS.

This should save you some work in creating formations although I do not know if setting them up using the WW2 bomber formation and carpet bombing advanced waypoint actions will work properly as there may be special code for the ED B17 which is not present in the mod. Note also that due to the inability to properly set the turret firing arcs in these mods you will find the formation of He111s etc very deadly. Basically no-one has discovered how to set up the turrets properly since the release of the official B17.

Have a go anyway and see how you travel. Hope it helps.

Thank you!

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 4 months later...