Introducing the new Logitech X56 HOTAS

LOGIRich

As many of you know, we have been working on integrating and making quality-of-life improvements to the entire Saitek range since the acquisition in September 2016. The X56 has had particular attention, with some improvements having been implemented in production to the point where we have already seen a steady reduction in issues. These mostly involved manufacturing processes, such as better control over the damping grease for the throttle to prevent the problem where some people experienced excessive friction in the throttle movement, even when at the lightest setting.

Some issues still persisted, though, and through analysis of forums, online reviews and support tickets we were able to determine that the original X56 can be susceptible to Electrostatic Discharge (ESD). This update to the X56 takes multiple steps to further protect against ESD with the result that it is now in line with Logitech’s standards (and well above standard compliance requirements). This should prevent the axis/button failures that some people have experienced.

There are other improvements, the main points being:

• An improved manufacturing method for the spring on the twist axis to prevent early wear and improve centering of the twist
  • Tooling updates to further assist with the centering of the twist (plus fit and finish improvements elsewhere)
  • A new wiring harness for the twist axis in the stick and improved soldering process that prevents twist axis failures
  • A new look for the X56 which should make those of you who expressed their dislike for the blue very happy indeed

Lastly, we would like to express our appreciation for your patience and support as we have worked through defining and addressing these issues. It is not always a quick or straightforward process to arrive at a clear root cause and solution. We will continue on an ongoing basis to monitor the performance of X56 (and the rest of our product lines) and address any further issues as they appear.

Q. How can I tell whether my X56 is the updated or the original version?

The updated version of X56 has grey graphics printed on the base of the throttle and stick. The original version has blue graphics.

Q. Are all original X56 units compliant with relevant safety standards?

Yes. The original X56 passes all compliance requirements for any territory in which it is sold by Logitech.

The new version is already available through our website in certain regions and will be available from other retailers shortly.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the new look. Are there any updates of the SST software planned perhaps? Like, adding some new functionality, like e.g. a Tempo option or an option to iterate through a set of assigned commands with each button press?

It's a shame that X65 is discontinued, though.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Just dont use those pice of crap pots in ANY axis!! And if there still is mini ”mouse” > hall sensors thank you.

Saitek is crap and so is Logitech / madcat so far.

Stop making low quality crap.

Less bling , bling , more good components (no cheap potentiometers !!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you LOGIRich. I will be looking out for the reviews.

Is the new hotas specified so it is possible to see if you buy the new one from the retailers?

EDIT: I see the partnumber viewed on your site is now: 945-000058. Is that the new hotas?

Edited by HiJack

@Dudikoff Software remains as it is for the time being - we do have plans for improvements but everything takes time.

@HiJack That is indeed the new part number. The new version is easily distinguished from the old due to the new cosmetic appearance as well as a completely new part number, packaging and retail listing (once they go live).

Mine is the old blue one. Glad you guys are fixing it. I have ghost button presses pretty much constantly. I really like the layout but quality was severely lacking.

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

Hi LOGIRich,

It's good to see you posting here. I'd also be interested in buying the throttle seperately. The reason being that I have an X-55 throttle and stick from the Madcatz days. The stick is fine but the throttle has the ghost keypress and failing button issue on occasion. Other than that it suits me just right. I'd be interested in buying a newly upspec'ed, more reliable throttle if available.

PC specs:

I can't talk about future product development plans, unfortunately.

Regarding the possibility of the throttle being sold independently, no plans at this stage but we'll keep listening out for requests.

Thanks for the response.

As far as I’m aware the x56 is one of only two split throttles on the market currently. The TM Warthog throttle being the other, at a price of roughly $260 USD for the throttle only. The x56 throttle only would come in at significantly lower price point. I think you’d find a significant amount of potential customers that already have a flight stick but need a split throttle for a multitude of reasons.

Would it be possible to swap out an original for an updated version my copy never has been usable imo. I’m a long time user of Saitek pro flight products. I have the yoke, with usb and ms2 throttles pedals two radio panels the switch panel, multi panel. Bip panel and trim wheel besides some initial troubles here and there I never had an item not be usable until I got the x-56 which hasn’t never worked reliably

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Great to see you posting here LogiRich. First step for good customer relations is getting in the trenches and listening/reading what's said about your products, and your customers needs.

I've dealt with Logitech recently when they acquired Astro headsets, sets I've long bought, a new one every year or so for all the gaming setups we have in our home, and Logitech was great considering I bought 2 right during the week of the transition. I hope it goes the same with Sai-catz.

+1 on selling the throttle and stick as single units. You can tell your marketing people as well as those responsible for sales quotas that you will move more product if you offer the X56 as single units. I'm happy to give you 3 links by PM, right now, to other popular sim games/players who have recently asked about the x56 throttle availability in just the last month - I don't want to disrespect ED by posting links to another game's forums is all.

You'll be able to undercut TM's single throttle price while matching capabilities that players want (split, dials, etc), while offering a superior product feature wise to the other stand alone throttles available (TM TWCS and CH's throttle). I firmly believe despite any extra costs in creating packaging and a logistics train, it would be a profitable move. Great PR too. That's important.

I hope Logitech will also create a new HOTAS, and continue to inovate in this area - it should be obvious Rich just from this one single game's forum that the custom market has exploded with new options - that happened for several reasons, not the least of which was a vacuum in new products from major manufacturers like yourself.

I've collected HOTAS since the early 90s, I have dozens, and many duplicates of ones I've liked over the years. I'd love to add more, and giving the growing sim market's players more options would be great. Particularly if you were to offer features that are innovative, or not available otherwise (force feedback while not my cup of tea seems to have a pretty solid following, as an example).

Hope to see you continue to give us information and stay in contact here Rich.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Well, I'll praise you for making an effort to improve your product, at least. I've had horrible experience with Saitek over the years and am in the process of replacing the few remaining bits I have with professional level gear.

It would be really great if you guys provided a good, affordable, entry level HOTAS for folks to get their feet wet with. CH hasn't been updated in decades and seem to have some dodgy characteristics, Thrustmaster's T16000M is decent quality, but the layout on the stick is all wrong for ergonomics.

The X-55/56 has the ergonomics all down (mostly) for a modern fighter, it's just the quality has been so lackluster in the past. Kudos for your efforts, again! I hope it bears fruit.

-edit

One suggestion I would make, is either slightly widen the throttle, or slightly lengthen the shaft, as in some positions it makes the right-hand switches nearly inaccessible.

-second edit

Also, I'd suggest reshaping the heads on the two small hat switches below the thumb rotary. They're far too round and there's not much feedback. They need more conventional Rook head shape or something (even if small), so you can feel what you're doing. Those little round nubs, it's nearly impossible to reliably push them into the specific position you want.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Nice to see logitech doing something, I really hope the new quality is improved compared last x55/56 version, I owned a x52 for almost 10 years.

You absolutely need to sell the throttle separately, I believe you will have more customers than the full hotas, The stick and button position is meh not very confortable but the throttle is really nice and splitted, do some competition to the TM T16000 Hotas!!! :)

Interesting. I have an X-56 that has never been connected to a PC (it's not alone). My X-52 Pro was sold many years ago.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the news.

Any chance your company is thinking about producing a force feedback joystick any time in the future?

That would get a lot of attention I am sure. We live in hope.

Happy landings,

Talisman

I second this. Please make FFB one. Looking forward to this new design avalaible in my country

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I can't talk about future product development plans, unfortunately.

Regarding the possibility of the throttle being sold independently, no plans at this stage but we'll keep listening out for requests.

Selling sperately shoukd be considered. As more boutique makers enter the market like Virpil and VKB modular setups mixing brands will be more common.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11