English Electric Lightning - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #41
Basher54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
All marques could have guns, they were fitted inside the forward belly fuel tank, the F.Mk1 and F.Mk2 both had guns mounted in the nose above the intake, they were deleted for the F.Mk3 but were added with the modified forward ventral fuel tank, the F.Mk6 also did not have guns fitted to the airframe and used the same method as the F.Mk3.

Not sure that is totally correct.

The F.3 only had a small ventral tank and couldn't use that large Ventral gun pack at all. That diagram, shows an F.53 which I have only ever known as an export version of the F.6 (despite some sources calling it an F.3) and the only version to have that ground attack capability and under wing pylons.

Some F.3s were used to prototype the F.6 and given the bigger ventral pack and an interim F.3A designation before it was changed to F.6. - and some F.3s were just converted to F.6 later.
Basher54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #42
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher54321 View Post
Not sure that is totally correct.

The F.3 only had a small ventral tank and couldn't use that large Ventral gun pack at all. That diagram, shows an F.53 which I have only ever known as an export version of the F.6 (despite some sources calling it an F.3) and the only version to have that ground attack capability and under wing pylons.

Some F.3s were used to prototype the F.6 and given the bigger ventral pack and an interim F.3A designation before it was changed to F.6. - and some F.3s were just converted to F.6 later.
You may well be right, those pictures are taken from the weapons manual for the F53 but I had been looking through the weapons manual for the F3, T5 and F6 (AP 101B-1003, 5 & 6-15B) just before it and it had included a similar diagram showing just the ventral gun pack and as it was also in the F53 diagram just used it.
The text does mention the F.6 for the gun pack with no mention of the F3 or T5, sloppy reading on my part.

Anyway here is the diagram from the other manual

Old 07-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #43
stickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
You may well be right, those pictures are taken from the weapons manual for the F53 but I had been looking through the weapons manual for the F3, T5 and F6 (AP 101B-1003, 5 & 6-15B) just before it and it had included a similar diagram showing just the ventral gun pack and as it was also in the F53 diagram just used it.
The text does mention the F.6 for the gun pack with no mention of the F3 or T5, sloppy reading on my part.

Anyway here is the diagram from the other manual

The 2 front line squadrons at Binbrook (5 & 11) throughout the 70's, mk3 were missile only and mk6 had the belly guns in ventral tank. We never hung anything under the wings (apart from the odd recalcitrant liney) and offered a prayer up when equipping the overwing fuel tanks - usually only for overseas deployments.
It may well have been possible to change - but never done and the jockeys never trained for anythoing other than A/A.

And from your earlier post - if you think the cockpit was cramped - should try fitting with 2 people hanging upside down in there to replace the computer red plug under the floor behind where the bang seat would sit.
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #44
bkthunder

Beautiful aircraft. Given that DCS is somewhat lacking in simulating a full combat experience (bad missile FM, no DC, basic AI etc.), but it absolutely excels at minutely simulating the flight model and systems of an aircraft, I think this would be a hell of an interesting / quirky airplane to fly around and appreciate the FM.
Besides, the MiG-21 and F-5 are also pretty useless in AA without a GCI.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #45
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
And from your earlier post - if you think the cockpit was cramped - should try fitting with 2 people hanging upside down in there to replace the computer red plug under the floor behind where the bang seat would sit.
Seems to be a familiar comment about working on the Lightning, I don't fancy doing an inlet check, I would never get past the radar.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #46
stickz

Certainly an engineer was not considered by the designers. If you did not have your arm ripped apart by locking wire daily you were on holiday. But it did teach you to work blindfolded and be totally ambidextrous.

As for entering intake, you squeezed your head sideways in at the top by the standby pitot then pushed and let your weight carry you down and in. Surprising the size of some who could get in. Wonder if I still could?

When you really did not want to do it was after a bird strike to check the intake vanes. Several heavies had to be pulled out due to collapse over the years. Counted something as a right of passage.
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:35 PM   #47
schroedi

Why is the Lightning discussed so detailed in the Razbam forum, was it announced as a module somewhere?
schroedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #48
joey45
Veteran

A wish for Razbam to do it.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
V0.99 of my UK Yak-52 is now available in the user files..
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #49
frodrigues2016

Send a message via Yahoo to frodrigues2016

So most of everyone likes that extra belly...its extra miledge...superior to the mig-21 and dont forget those extra tanks above the wings.No other planes is like that except perhaps the old good jag.

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------
Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34
Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

Last edited by frodrigues2016; 07-09-2018 at 12:57 AM.
frodrigues2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #50
Alicatt

The over wing tanks fairly restrict the speed of the Lightning, not that it runs out of thrust, it runs out of elevator control and that limits it's max speed to M0.9 ish
One pilot was reminiscing about trying to catch a Victor tanker that had gotten ahead during a ferry flight from the Med and he managed to push his speed up to M0.95 before he ran out of elevator deflection, the aircraft tries to pitch down as speed increases with the over wing tanks fitted, they can however be jettisoned.
He did indeed manage to rendezvous with the tanker before he ran out of fuel

He did mention that the Victor could maintain a higher cruise speed than the Lightning with over wing tanks on.