Litening II

BioZ

I am sure they will make it until the end of this month *fingers crossed*

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

Unfortunate, but this means that we'll hopefully a) have less bugs and b) less un-implemented features at release.

Sure? The delay of any Hornet feature hasn´t anything to do with more ore less bugs!

Take a look at the hotfixes. Some issues are fixed, some new appear!

The fact that we haven’t seen a single screenshot of a TGP DDI display should be a big clue that the TGP is nowhere near complete. We’ve been given screenshots and info for almost every other new feature.

It’s bizarre that it entered ‘internal testing’ and the end of May..... and the engineer responsible was ‘still confident of a end of June release’ a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that, it’s obviously a massive task that they must get right.

Why get stressed over something that you do to relax.

this should be the slogan for all games

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

+1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

The fact that we haven’t seen a single screenshot of a TGP DDI display should be a big clue that the TGP is nowhere near complete. We’ve been given screenshots and info for almost every other new feature.

It’s bizarre that it entered ‘internal testing’ and the end of May..... and the engineer responsible was ‘still confident of a end of June release’ a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that, it’s obviously a massive task that they must get right.

I'm not worried about the lack of screenshots, the visual part is already there, what is left is all the pod-aircraft interface, which is different for the hornet compared for example to the A10 or the harrier.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I'm not worried about the lack of screenshots, the visual part is already there, what is left is all the pod-aircraft interface, which is different for the hornet compared for example to the A10 or the harrier.

Expect symbology to be similar but with differences. I wouldn’t say the visual element is all there. That all needs coding and implementing correctly.

Edited by AvroLanc

Expect symbology to be similar but with differences. I wouldn’t say the visual element is all there. That all needs coding and implementing correctly.
Mmm i dont know, i expect the visuals to be almost identical to what we see in the A10, then at a kater stage hopefully will hava a rework of the FLIR rendering for all devices.

The symbology for sure will be different in the hornet, also the integration with the hotas, so well done in the A10 i dont expect the same in the hornet.

Mmm i dont know, i expect the visuals to be almost identical to what we see in the A10, then at a kater stage hopefully will hava a rework of the FLIR rendering for all devices.

The symbology for sure will be different in the hornet, also the integration with the hotas, so well done in the A10 i dont expect the same in the hornet.

I expect the visual (ie the actual flir image) to have to be adjusted to look right on the green monochrome DDI versus the A10’s colour display otherwise it’ll look odd. Different displays / resolutions etc. Not to mention the osb, menu symbology.

Edited by AvroLanc

I expect the visual (ie the actual flir image) to have to be adjusted to look right on the green monochrome DDI versus the A10’s colour display otherwise it’ll look odd. Different displays / resolutions etc. Not to mention the osb, menu symbology.

I thought ED was re-working the entire FLIR visualization...

The IR renderer is slowly being reworked and small changes have already made it to the sim. ED has said that the LITENING II will not wait for the IR rework, but the ATFLIR, coming later, will.

As for the LITENING II image, I would expect it to be much closer both in look and in functionalities, to what the Harrier has rather than the A-10C.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Maybe newest TPODs have 4K resolution :D

The technology to make 4K staring detector arrays does exist today, but to call it stupidly expensive would be a huge understatement. Though I wouldn't be surprised for a few specialty applications if it existed.

Though the current trend is more toward sensor fusion and dealing with various "band gaps" or exploiting them than improving already quite good resolution.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Interestingly it says 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM. Guess they write those up way before moving them to their respective place where we can see them.

Well, there always have been Crays rainbowdashwink.png

It's just unusual to have a 486 paired with the rest of the specs. My 66MHz DX2 had 16MB of RAM, which was a ton back then. Most comparable rigs just had 2 or 4, some even 8. And then, you'll have that CPU coupled with 2GB. But I guess it was a design choice to take a simple and sturdy CPU that doesn't produce lots of heat and would be fast enough anyway for that single purpose. 2GB of RAM around 2001ish wasn't that unbelievable - I had that 2 years later in my consumer rig. And they still sell cheap and ugly Office rigs with that amount even today... barely enough to run the OS alone rdlaugh.png

Space Shuttles used 8086 CPUs until they've been retired...

BTW I had the chance to play my games on a 486 laptop my dad had from the company he worked for in 1996 or 1997 which had a 640x480 TFT screen... but I kept my CRT until 2012 dealwithit.png

But lets not get too OT here now twi-notbad.png

There were good reasons for that. They weren't off the shelf 8086's they were rad hardened versions with a bit more redundancy. And really if you can write "efficient code" 8086's can do alot.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Ahh i understand, but to clarify its the Litening 2 G4 that has 1K resolution, which is what succeeded the AT version. L2 AT had 640 x 512 resolution which was carried over from preceding ER version.

Prior to that the original Litening 2 had only a 320x 240p resolution

So that being said currently the resoultion of the L2 on the A10 is still too good, unless ED wants to also include ( or change) it to the Litening 2 G4.

Thanks for the clarificiation. That being said even the 640x512 images can look fairly good given decent magnified optics.

This depends on the resolution of cockpit displays option.

Because of that, in DCS, a way to simulate the pod quality is to either render the TGP video separately from the rest of the PiPs, at its real resolution

Or

Apply a blur filter on top of the TGP video, when a lower quality pod is used (the highest quality TGP would have the filter to 0%).

I think thats what HB did with the lantrin (blur filter). At this point using my CV1 in VR I figure I'm at enough of a visual penalty that I'll run the displays at "high res" since they still look like crap :)...

It shouldn't really be that hard to render a low res image in a high res one. Just render 4x as many pixels per original pixels. Kind of a reverse SS.

Anyhow, sensor resolution is just one of the many issues with the FLIR model, I'd rather see an actual diurnal cycle modeled, different emissivity and reflectivity modled, and for god sake thermals see through smoke first :)

Update from NineLine from a couple of hours ago:

is93N7X.png

That oven needs quite long to bake things aj-hm.png

BTW thanks for giving me that invite link the last time I asked, it worked. But I haven't seen any posts like that one there yet still. Must be hidden somewhere, or did you just ask him directly in a private chat? pinkiepieexcited.png

Hoping that the delay just means we get a much more feature complete and bug-free TGP in the end.

As long as it will be great and powerful I'm fine with it... trixie.png

Just wish I could spend time in the holidays with it, hardly ever get to flying under the week outside of that. But probably the devs also get their well deserved holidays, and as always, family and private life goes first.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think thats what HB did with the lantrin (blur filter). At this point using my CV1 in VR I figure I'm at enough of a visual penalty that I'll run the displays at "high res" since they still look like crap :)...

It shouldn't really be that hard to render a low res image in a high res one. Just render 4x as many pixels per original pixels. Kind of a reverse SS.

Anyhow, sensor resolution is just one of the many issues with the FLIR model, I'd rather see an actual diurnal cycle modeled, different emissivity and reflectivity modled, and for god sake thermals see through smoke first :)

Same here. Can't wait until FLIR behaves like... FLIR. With proper emissivity rather than a color map, visibility affected by surrounding temperature, correct whiteout during a bright flash, afterburners showing up like Christmas trees...

I do like the fact that it now accounts for the "hotter" smoke from exhausts and explosions, it's a step in the right direction, but it's far too much. It should only show up a tiny bit hotter than the surrounding air and only for a small distance from the source, since the smoke gets cold quickly.

I haven't checked, does regular smoke (ie smoke marker) blind the TGP the same as "explosion smoke"?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yep, I'm pretty sure it shows up super bright, at least in the Warthog.

Multispectral smoke should show up, normal smoke not so much.

Thanks for the clarificiation. That being said even the 640x512 images can look fairly good given decent magnified optics.

Hoenstly if you see videos of the SNIper ATP SE, then even the L2 AT in DCS still looks comparable if not still ending up appearing superior in resolution quality, which it shouldn't be.

So at least from the perspective of a virtual pilot the res still looks too good for something that should be 640x512

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Hoenstly if you see videos of the SNIper ATP SE, then honestly even the L2 AT in DCS still looks comparable if not still ending up appearing superior in resolution quality, which it shouldn't be.

So at least from the perspective of a virtual pilot the res still looks too good for something that should be 640x512

agreed. This extends to the mavericks too. Its way too clear in DCS