How do you all think the MIG-15 Performs?

Harley Davidson

I'm currently enjoying it in the museum relic campaign. It's one of those things you always like coming back to. Like a good old puristic roadster in a racing game.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The MiG-15 was one of the first mods I got a few months ago, and I've flown it on and off. I found it hard to fly and particularly had to aim and shoot. So, I put it away ... until now.

Having picked up the Sabre in the recent sale, I got my fill of it (for now) and decided to give the Mig another try. There's an instant action dogfight mission in the Nevada batch - two Mig-15s against two Sabres. Merged with the Sabres, pulled up and over, and came down on one of the Sabres and blew it out of the sky. Up again, down.... and the second Sabre was gone. All this time, I had been trying to turn with the F86s, playing their game in the horizontal plane instead of using the vertical.

So, I just re-tried the Recon mission in the Black Sea missions set - two MiG-15s vs. three AI-controlled F-86s. This mission had been giving me such a hard time - could never get it completed. The default mission has the F86 AI set to random. This time I edited it set and set all three AI F86s to excellent. My stupid wingman got shot down in the first 30 seconds. So, now I'm up against three Sabres by my lonesome. Guess what - got all three of them. Yes, they are AI, not people, but for me this was an accomplishment - first time I got all three Sabres by myself (excellent AI at that). I need to get some more practice before I'm ready to go up against human opponents, but now that I'm learning how to fly the MiG correctly, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite DCS mods.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

The Mig-15 reflects Soviet thinking of the time.

No frills, simple.

May even be called 'rough around the edges.'

It wasn't made to be pretty.

It was made to fly, shoot stuff down, get home and easy to train on.

27MM and 37MM cannons are devastating.

The F-86 on the other hand was more refined in construction and reflects different thinking of East and West at the time.

Having flown both the F-86 and Mig-15, I prefer the Mig, but that is just a personal thing.

IMHO the Mig has advantage at altitude and climb, but roll rate decreases with speed.

The Sabre seems a bit more responsive at lower altitudes and has a better roll rate at all speeds.

I think the biggest disadvantage with the Sabre is time on target.

With the 50cal guns, have to put a lot of rounds in the target to take it down.

With the Mig's cannons, shorter time on target,:

One or two rounds into the target and it goes down.

Edited by josuha1901
spelling

The only problem I have with MiG-15bis is lack of real playground. I live in Europe, so It means that Korea 1952 is for me a kind of desperation. It's empty anyway 😕 so we (there's 2 of us, and others are learning) fly Blueflag Coldwar instead, but it's A2G playground mostly. Bad place for MiG 15bis between F5E, AV8B, and lot of Chaprals...

We're hungry for combat, but most of the times there's no place to play. Two sewers and both mostly empty

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 4

On 12/30/2020 at 10:06 AM, 303_Kermit said:

The only problem I have with MiG-15bis is lack of real playground. I live in Europe, so It means that Korea 1952 is for me a kind of desperation. It's empty anyway 😕 so we (there's 2 of us, and others are learning) fly Blueflag Coldwar instead, but it's A2G playground mostly. Bad place for MiG 15bis between F5E, AV8B, and lot of Chaprals...

We're hungry for combat, but most of the times there's no place to play. Two sewers and both mostly empty

I am in Europe too and feel similar in that I love the Mig-15, but Korea 1952 is the only server to go and mostly not many folks about.  That is the reason I have not flown the Mig-15 for a very long time.  Perhaps that will change in 2021 though.  We are lucky to have the Korea 1952 server, but I wish there was more folks interested in Korea and the Mig vs Sabre match up.

I might dust off the Mig-15 over the coming weeks to see how things are going.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

On 12/31/2020 at 5:14 PM, Talisman_VR said:

I am in Europe too and feel similar in that I love the Mig-15, but Korea 1952 is the only server to go and mostly not many folks about.  That is the reason I have not flown the Mig-15 for a very long time.  Perhaps that will change in 2021 though.  We are lucky to have the Korea 1952 server, but I wish there was more folks interested in Korea and the Mig vs Sabre match up.

I might dust off the Mig-15 over the coming weeks to see how things are going.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Well i know its not korea 1952 but kirks now has a pvp section so assuming some bozos dont come ruin it then you could slot up in migs and sabres

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Здравия парни.Да МиГ15 и для меня самый лутший самолёт! Летаю всегда на Кореи Sr частота 3.800.Рад всёх слышать в ефире).Вопрос, не уже ли почти у всёх самолётов была проблема валенки на крыло?Я так не думаю что это было таким масовым явлением.У нас в DCS это слижком преувиличено)

22 hours ago, TotenDead said:

Удачи вам перевести и понять то, что написал человек выше, уважаемые англоговорящие пользователи

Lol...

What boots is he talking about?

• Like 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 9:13 PM, Doc3908 said:

Just finished a quick fight with two Sabres - "ace" level AI, everyone's at 50% fuel. Yes, not like flying against human players, but still fun. I still can't get over those gorgeous 2.7OB clouds. 

AI F86 Are useless. You can add 8 of them and they're harmless. Jump "Korea 1952" 🙂

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...