High Level bombing

Cunning_Fox

Would be nice to get some tips on this as its impossible to bomb some things in the Campaign for the 15bis due to AAA and MANPADs.

I am trying to bomb things from 5,000 meters AGL, so far my bombs land about 100 meters short.

I was wondering if anyone has been succesfully level flight bombing enemies into oblivion from higher alt.

Would be nice to get some tips on this as its impossible to bomb some things in the Campaign for the 15bis due to AAA and MANPADs.

I am trying to bomb things from 5,000 meters AGL, so far my bombs land about 100 meters short.

I was wondering if anyone has been succesfully level flight bombing enemies into oblivion from higher alt.

At 16,000 feet / 5000 meters.....Only with the A-10C with GPU's, JDAM's and targeting pod etc.:D

100 meters is good from that height, she's old school. You basically need to get up real close and drop on their head.

What year is the Campaign set in..? AAA would be OK, MANPADs for this type of jet is a bit much to deal with.

First flight 1947, not many MANPADs around back then.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You know, I do know how to bomb with old aircraft - I have been studying them for 30 years now and flying for that much too (sim or otherwise). Thanks for the background, but I was asking a specific question, not "how it was done back in the day".

So let me repeat myself - what I'm asking is if anyone has trained themselves to bomb from that height - please let me know the method. The only one I can think of is going 600 km/h @ 5000 AGL and counting after the target disappears under your nose. FAB-100M falls like a brick. I get usually 100 meter faults due to not being able to keep the altitude.

I'm doing the godawful Museum Relic campagin and I'm dropping my bombs on the Hill 39 before I engage the 25s.

maybe use tacview and possibly create your own template?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

CCRP style bombing from high alt in a fighter that only has forward looking iron sights would be next to impossible.

My question for you is, why do you have to bomb the hill? Hasn't a new threat presented itself? Get rid of that weight.

Edited by Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

CCRP style bombing from high alt in a fighter that only has forward looking iron sights would be next to impossible.

My question for you is, why do you have to bomb the hill? Hasn't a new threat presented itself? Get rid of that weight.

I assumed that since I have bombs, I have to make use of them, because Matova don't have much to spare, especially for a museum relic like this one.

(Immersion!)

So what I've done is I levelled off and proceeded to bomb from 5,000 meters to avoid the IR missiles. I had to look at the river on the right side to guage my position. It actually worked.

The reason I'm asking is because the AI can do it from anywhere and they hit the spot. And in level flight, AFAIK, so I thought there is some kind of pilot Voodoo I didn't know about this.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

The reason I'm asking is because the AI can do it from anywhere and they hit the spot. And in level flight, AFAIK, so I thought there is some kind of pilot Voodoo I didn't know about this.

The AI do not fly it like it was a MiG-15, they fly it like a modern jet with a HUD using CCIP or CCRP to hit the target. The

Hopefully this will be corrected when they have a general look at the AI behavior after they fix the ATC, GCI etc etc....

The Sabre AI has been fixed after-all and no longer use the radar gun-sight to begin BVR engagements like an F-15

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

From my knowledge High altitude level Bombing was enabled by Bomb sights. Since the Mig doesn't have a bomb sight installed this could be quite difficult. The easy answer would be to pull a JU 87 and do a vertical dive. After all, the Mig has Air breaks, so it must be a dive bomber. The other solution could be to steal a trick from your WW2 Mud Mover Comrades. Some variants of the IL-2 had lines painted on the hood helping them with bombing. A custom skin and a lot of trial and error would make that possible.

il248sb_title.jpg

You know, I do know how to bomb with old aircraft - I have been studying them for 30 years now and flying for that much too (sim or otherwise). Thanks for the background, but I was asking a specific question, not "how it was done back in the day".

So let me repeat myself - what I'm asking is if anyone has trained themselves to bomb from that height - please let me know the method. The only one I can think of is going 600 km/h @ 5000 AGL and counting after the target disappears under your nose. FAB-100M falls like a brick. I get usually 100 meter faults due to not being able to keep the altitude.

I'm doing the godawful Museum Relic campagin and I'm dropping my bombs on the Hill 39 before I engage the 25s.

You're being way too short to people to just answer your own question like that.

You have an altitude problem.

Do you mean altitude or attitude? :-)

There is no method of bombing from 5000m in level flight without a bombsight or modern CCIP/CCRP equipment. If you really manage to constantly get hits within 100m of the target from that altitude in a MiG-15, you are already a god of level-bombing. Think of the difference in milliseconds of pulling the trigger it takes to get a difference of 100m at 600km/h...

Seriously, even with a bombsight 100m off target from 5000m would be considered a good drop. IIRC in WWII USAAF considered "bombs on target" if they hit within a mile of the target, and that was with the excellent Norden bombsight.