Looking for MiG-15 Squadron Leader

SeaQuark

x52dkyG.png

Perhaps this is an unusual request, but here goes.

I am looking for a MiG-15 virtual Squadron Leader. Someone knowledgeable in the MiG-15, guns-only tactics and teamwork, and who has enough interest in oldschool Red aviation to share this knowledge with others.

I run a virtual Sabre squadron, and host an open, 24/7 PvP server that we operate on. The Sabre squadron has about ~8-11 active members of varying experience levels, and we are at the point where we can field a 4-ship with some regularity. It is great fun, but without structured opposition there is only so far we can take it. There are definitely lots of good MiG pilots out there, but the trend so far is for 4 of us to run into only 1 or 2 of them at a time. And I think it’s the 4v4 and up engagements when things get really interesting, and will push both teams to their limits.

I have seen a few attempts to run such a MiG squadron, but none seem to have stuck around so far, and I want to do whatever I can to remedy that. Day to day running of the Red squadron and all decisions would be totally up to you. But for the right person I would be happy to help get things started, share resources & research, assist with recruitment & visual design, and give advice on tactics, procedures, and general squadron housekeeping. I've learned a lot running this squadron, and would be happy to share everything I've learned, and help however I can.

We have members in multiple time zones, so we have some scheduling flexibility; we try to do a mix of regular events + "pick up and play" at any time. I don't think it's even necessary that an opposition squadron be primarily English-speaking like we are, or stick to a tight schedule with us. There are many good possibilities; the key thing is that both squadrons primarily play on the same server (to increase the odds of us running into each other), and share an interest in friendly, team-based competition. Encouraging multi-flight, strategic-level PvP sorties would be the ultimate goal.

If this rings any bells for you, or you already run a similar squadron, message me, let's talk. I think the key qualities you will need are: A) time/inclination to run such a squadron B) confidence with MiG-15 and good understanding of guns-only team flying C) friendly, can-do attitude.

If, on the other hand, you would be interested in joining such a squadron, but don't feel qualified to lead it, feel free to post, and I will save your screenname for a "mailing list" if/when such a squadron gets off the ground.

Thank you,

- SQ

• 8 months later...

Can fly either of the migs, as for tactics and sops though, all of what i know is self learned, i've flown the Mig 15 and 21 in the sim for a few years now and have done dogfights against sabres various times with great success on both sides.

was a challenge to say the least when both pilots know their aircraft well and are unlikely to make common mistakes.

I don't mind helping out but i am UK based so time zones might be of some issue.

Glad to help out though if y'all need a hand

Should be picking up the 15 very soon, and although I'd love to join up with a 15 crew I'm already involved in a couple other squads. However, I know some folks who might be interested in jumping in the 15 for a sortie from time to time. Is there a good night of the week for Korea jets?!

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

I've seen some multiplayer maps lately that include the 15, the F86 and some later jets in Cold War scenarios. My Steam name is the same as here, if anyone wants to try doing some group flying. I'm fairly new to multiplayer combat but have some experience flying the 15 and just started with the F86.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started flying the MiG, and am a bit rusty on the F-86, but both put more of a smile on my face than any other DCS modules. I'd like to join in the fun if I'm not too green for this crowd. Certainly can't be squadron leader, but am happy to fly the MiG and serve as cannon fodder. :-) I might even manage a lucky kill or two.

Im willing at EURO afternoons and during the daytime over weekend.

Also "Korea" being american server means some americans should stop living the cold war and just fly MiGs.

You cant have "pledge to the flag" stuff and having 10 americans fighting ghosts on empty server. Being a MiG leader means nothing if that leader doesn't have any pilot to command below him.

Edited by Boris_CRO

mag.iur.

Timezone is a problem i cant play most of the time. But disparity of sabres numbers vs mig is reality. More americans should get to the red side.

Timezone problem could be solved be having a mid-ground with europeans. I know i have to play later in a day just not that late. 20:00 h CET is a good balance. Cant play at midnight for many reasons and even if i could by brain and eyes are dead at that point.

mag.iur.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...