Mig-15 Hope for Campaign/Missions

frixon28

Hey everyone,

I am seriously thinking about buying the MiG-15 (I hope to buy a real one eventually!), but I was wondering if it was worth it(thinking about it before the sale ends on the 23). No doubt the module itself is amazing, but considering this Module is fully released now and there is still an abysmal lack of content (campaigns, missions, no pilot) is it really worth it. Is there more of a future for this aircraft, because in my opinion not having a campaign available with it and a lack of mission really hinders what you can actually do with the module. If not I think I am going to get the Fishbed. I really want to get this module but there just has to be more to it, there simply is a lack of content. Does anyone know if BST has said anything about a campaign for the F-86/MiG-15? I can't believe that they would give the Hip a campaign but not some of the most iconic jet fighters of history!

Just looking for some real world advice and opinions!

Frixon28

Keeping in mind the unfitting timeframe of the Mig with the available maps, I totally understand that there is no campaign from BST. Makes no sense until a 1950 map is available.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Hi Frixon,

They released a campaign separately for the MiG-15 and F-86 called Museum Relic. I think you can use one plane or the other.

But you have to purchase it additionally, check the DCS website, under campaigns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Museum Relic campaign is just purely fantastic. One of the best out there for DCS. I think it's worth getting the MiG-15 and F-86F just for it.

At this moment both planes are needed to play the campaign but due to recent news this will change though the timeline is not known at the moment.

Keeping in mind the unfitting timeframe of the Mig with the available maps, I totally understand that there is no campaign from BST. Makes no sense until a 1950 map is available.

The map would be nice but lack of it isn't the main problem. The bigger issue is lack of the units from the era. Furthermore those few that are available at the moment are in some cases not even fully functional - for instance the Bear bomber not being able to drop bombs.

In result creating interesting and engaging missions for Sabre and Fagot is extremely difficult. I would assume that's the reason that more or less there is almost close to no content in terms of single player and multiplier missions. It's a pity but unfortunately this is the situation - after getting the modules and enjoying learning time there is close to nothing out there.

On the other hand those are yet another reasons for which all the great work with Museum Relic campaign can be appreciated.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi frixon28, there is a pilot-body that can be switched on or off. MiG-15bis is a very well made module, but is lacking a bit in content atm. I would say the most "complete" packages are A10C, BS2, FC3 and the MiG-21bis. You know, It is what it is. If singleplayer content is more important to you, more important than flying the module of your favourite aircraft in the whole wide world... have a look at my suggestions. If you can make do with DLC campaigns, user made missions etc. the MiG-15bis is not a bad choice.

MiG-21bis is a great module, for sure worth getting into but as for the SP stock campaign... well just to say that it's probably better to get into it when another options of flying MiG-21bis have run out.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

The current Caucasus map is actually not all that inappropriate for the MiG-15bis. If you squint a little and ignore that it's a few decades too modern, there was a number of PVO squadrons operating MiG-15s in the 60s in current day Georgia (look up "14th Air Defence Corps "or "14-й корпус ПВО"). As others said, it's more about the lack of units.

Hey everyone thanks for all the replies!,

Thanks for clarifying that the MiG-15 does include the pilot model, I posted too soon and a review I was watching later on showed it off so I apologize sincerely for not looking into that more. I should have mentioned that I was aware of the Museum Relic Campaign, however I can only afford to buy a single module. What I really meant to ask is there any speculation/news/conspiracy theories about if BST will eventually be releasing a campaign. I just really wish BST will be adding more content to the Fagot/Sabre before they try to release another module.

Thanks for the help and time.

Frixon 28

I'm not aware of any official declarations or even hints from the developers that the MiG-15bis module will in the future come with a campaign. As for speculations... don't base your purchase decisions on speculations ;). As far as content goes, the MiG-21 module has more of it. It's also a more complex aircraft with a wider array of weapons and systems to play around with. The 15bis OTOH is more bug free at the moment.

BTW, in case you haven't played the Mi-8 campaign you mentioned in the first post - give it a go. It's actually quite interesting and fun.

The MiG-15 is a well made module. I enjoy flying it, and do so quite a bit. For the price, I don't see how you could go wrong. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 4 months later...
I wished someone can make a Korean War Campaign! :v::v: Put in the P-51 in it.. That'll be cool! I'll be waiting for it.

Realistic Korean War scenario would be borderline impossible at the moment. Actually not only due to the lack of map but mostly due to unavailability of units (even AI only) from this period of time.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Realistic Korean War scenario would be borderline impossible at the moment. Actually not only due to the lack of map but mostly due to unavailability of units (even AI only) from this period of time.

I think the ground unitswould be easier than most think. Most of the U.S. And U.N pixeltruppen are all ready done for Normandy, with the exception of a few models of tanks. Don't forget that the Korean conflict began just five years after WWII. Even the North Korean tanks and other weapons were T-34s and other WWII Russian weapons.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

At this moment both planes are needed to play the campaign but due to recent news this will change though the timeline is not known at the moment.

This is the problem here. I have only the MiG 15 but held off buying because I certainly will not get the F-86 just to play a campaign.

The MiG-15 is a well made module. I enjoy flying it, and do so quite a bit. For the price, I don't see how you could go wrong. :-)

It is one of the best in the whole game imo, less from the plane itself but from the side of a software product.

The graphic model is perfect and shows no aliasing problems whatsoever (compare that to the horrible state of the Mig21s exterior), the cockpit is fantastic and readable (again compare to the pixelated Mig21 instruments). With diveplane11's Klimov mod it also has one of the best sounds, and it is a very easy to fly plane with good all round view that even a beginner can land.

Right now my favorite module besides the L-39 and the 109K4. If it had a way to switch off the gunsight it would be my number 1 actually.

So the answer to the OP - if his question was "do the owners rate the module as good?" - then my answer would a unequivocal yes.

I also think it's beautiful. Always have a thing for buxom women and 50s planes, so maybe that's just me.

The map would be nice but lack of it isn't the main problem. The bigger issue is lack of the units from the era. Furthermore those few that are available at the moment are in some cases not even fully functional - for instance the Bear bomber not being able to drop bombs.

Actually has not a big issue.

-ED has plans to add Cold War AAA and SAM air defence units. Continue working on expand WW2 assets pack, has plans to add more and more AI units, and surely we see some Korea AI unit. Hormuz and future maps coming with proper era AI units.

-3rd parties working on yours "assets packs" as RAZBAM with air and navy free assets to DCS World centred on AV-8B module, and surely other 3rd parties can get ours "assets packs" to other modules and in the future maps.

-Have a 3rd option, show in the last patch´s, the "Chinese team" with the free "People's Liberation Army" pack with naval, air and weapons units. Others team can make specific "era" packs with the EDM plugins, Photoshop and lua coding, and make quality units, talking with ED to donate them and expand some specific AI era units.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

I would not mind to fly over Normandy or Caucasus actually.

Caucasus is the home game of the MiGs, and lends to all kinds of training, patrol and border conflict scenarios, and the buildings in Normandy would be semi correct for a 1950s WWIII scenario.

I dont think Europe changed that much between 1945 and 1950 and it would not disturb me much that the few tenements, drive-in cinemas and roads that have been built after the war would be missing. I imagine Normandy 1950 with a bit of extra electrical and neon light and a lot more cars would already do.

Guys, hold your horses a bit ;). My comment was from January when Normandy and WWII assets pack were still far from the release.

Now its a bit different story, with units from WWII assets pack the mission planners got some units to play with. Personally I enjoy a lot flying MiG-15/Sabre over Normandy. I think it actually could be a base for a "operation unthinkable" like campaign. Still we're not yet there and "ED has plans" or "3'rd parties have plans" usually means for sure not soon - which still leaves the issue open ;)

Edited by firmek

My personal dreams/wishes for DCS involves much more infrastructure/immersion with this game. Across all the modules, there needs to be much more units of all kinds that could make you play your module in a far more realistic environment (meaning the units, the maps would be too long to make/costly). I think if DCS could get this out, it would make the game more enjoyable than they realize. Or maybe its just my opinion...

I would be really happy if there was a realistic peace time campaign. with radio traffic, air traffic and mostly routine patrols. Occasional shooting of American spy planes etc would be still believable but the constant full fledged WWIII is actually a bit too much for me.

Part of the reason is that I am still learning (though I have played DCS on and off since 2004) and would never expect to go into war without at least a couple hundred hours flight time and a real understanding of the systems. That aspect always put me a bit off combat in this sim tbh, you either spend your time wading through pdfs or going into war without preparation, there is never a real interactive introduction in the game, like a real pilot career.

• 2 weeks later...

Do I understand this correctly?

You have to buy both Mig-15 and F-86 in order to play the Museum Relic campaign? Or is it enough to have one of them?

One more question: Is there any default campaign included in Mig-15 module?

Edited by Terzi
typo

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Both planes were required when the campaign was released, but last winter I believe they modified it so that one is enough nowadays. No idea how it works, though.

Check the Campaigns section of the forum, every payware campaign has its own sub-section there with lots of info available.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Museum Relic Campaign, and it is awesome! The maker, Apache600, starts you off slowly, and gradually ramps up the difficulty level. Although I haven't gotten to them yet, I understand that the missions that depend on navigation are really top notch. Apache600 is an airline pilot and really works you with basic navigation. The campaign missions even include the ability to select an "autocomplete" within the first seconds of the mission in case you just can't complete the mission. Almost every comment on the campaign in the campaign section says how this is the best campaign out there at this point in time. All for less than the cost of a single meal on a night out in most places.

You should do all of the training missions for the F-86 or MiG-15 at the very least before doing the campaign. They will help. I have both the Sabre and the -15, and will be doing the campaign with both. Do yourself a favor and read the threads in the campaigns section. Again, the designer is Apache600.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

• 2 months later...

Well, i made a campaign back in 1.2.6 called Los muchachos de Kozhedub ("Kozhedub Boys") but all briefings and messages were in spanish. It's an 18 mission, historical -based on the book RED DEVILS OVER THE YALU- coop campaign flown by 14 pilots (can be mabe SP as well). I can´t verify if it's working on 2.5 and honestly i have no time to convert all story line and briefings to english, but i can upload one or two missions so you can give it a go, if you guys are interested.

Some images from that MiG-15; 1951 KTO campaign

G4FLm2u.jpg?1

a6w9vFF.jpg

w5qtGS6.jpg

q79aJKD.jpg

dHtaa6z.jpg

uGuxw31.jpg

0krB6oA.jpg

nMiJhx8.jpg

od0t02s.jpg

8YFVXCb.jpg

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/LfVaMdX.jpg

OWuH3jh.jpg

WaT4lB6.jpg

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"