Wouldn't be too hard to do a Mig-17, would it?

Jaktaz

There is, actually. The US F-3 Demon will be the perfect opponent for MiG-17.

MiG-17 has better climb rate while F-3 has some basic version of the AIM-7 like AIM-7B for longer range targeting. In terms of speed, MiG-17 is faster at medium and high altitude while F-3 is fast at low altitude. Since back then there is no look-down-shoot-down capability for the SARMs, MiG-17 can go low if you want to avoid long range engagement, but then that would give F-3 a speed advantage.

That's true but since DCS doesn't have the F-3 as an option then it'll be all on it's own. :smilewink: Now if DCS were to get the F-3 made for AI at least then I'm all in. :thumbup:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Personally, I like the idea of a Mig-17 module but with the Mig-15 and the Mig-19 I don't think there would be much of a selling point. Especially since, as you said, there's not much in the way of good opponents for the 17.

I agree with you 100% here. I love flying the Mig-15 over either of the 2 WW2 birds I bought. I don't even bother with the 109 actually. I find the Mig-15 a lot easier to handle both in the air and on the ground.

there are a couple opponents that you could add.

F86H block 10 - Hawg Sabre

There was article i read long ago interviewing a former Hawg National Guard pilot. Mentioned in one bit it was used in in mid 60s in a few instances as a Dissimilar aggressor of sorts to train F105, and F4 pilots going to nam so they could be better prepared against the Mig17. ( will try to dig up on the net)

AS someone else mentioned the F86F equiped with Gar8's clashed with Mig17s over Taiwan in 1958, however performance wise, the F86H would fare much better than the F86F, due to 20mm m39 cannons and improved performance regarding Acceleration & Climb rate. the Block 10 has the F86F block 40 style Wing slats.

Another Transonic aircraft that could be added as another opponent could be a Hawker Hunter Mk6.

That aside the Mig17F would be a historically significant aircraft to have in DCS.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 months later...

I am a great MiG lover but there certainly is a point where choices get too much. And when we hopefully soon have a MiG-19 in addition to 15 and 21, I can probably live without a Fresco which was afaik just an uprated 15 anyway.

It would of course be nice to have practically the entire MiG line in one game but it may not be the best choice, unless the 19s sell like hotcakes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That's true but since DCS doesn't have the F-3 as an option then it'll be all on it's own. :smilewink: Now if DCS were to get the F-3 made for AI at least then I'm all in. :thumbup:

Not just F-3.

There are 2 more well know fighters are capable of taking on MiG-17 on equal terms. Dassault Mystere 4 and the Hawker Hunter. They are both designed and released at the same era.

It will be awesome if we get MiG-17PM. It has both gun and missiles as well as a radar and a RWR.

Edited by PLAAF

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

I would love to have a mig 17F. I would pay a million for it...seriously! Now my question since 2014 was why the hell did belsimtek developed the mig-15?? Yeah i know it pairs up better with the F-86 but the 17 would have been so much more interesting with a tons of interesting historic mission to realize with it...

Still a fan of the mig-15 module though ;-)

I would love to have a mig 17F. I would pay a million for it...seriously! Now my question since 2014 was why the hell did belsimtek developed the mig-15?? Yeah i know it pairs up better with the F-86 but the 17 would have been so much more interesting with a tons of interesting historic mission to realize with it...

Still a fan of the mig-15 module though ;-)

MiG-17F is not that much of a step up from the MiG-15.

IMHO, MiG-17PF is the only way to go. It has radar, rwr, cannon and may be missiles (K-5 and K-55) as well. It will be a perfect match for future F-86L. :thumbup:

Edited by PLAAF

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

• 7 months later...
Not just F-3.

There are 2 more well know fighters are capable of taking on MiG-17 on equal terms. Dassault Mystere 4 and the Hawker Hunter. They are both designed and released at the same era.

It will be awesome if we get MiG-17PM. It has both gun and missiles as well as a radar and a RWR.

Mystere 4 would be more on par Korean war era Planes. Even then statisticaly speaking its still not the best Seriously ITs climb rate is worse than a F86F sabre. and its max top speed is 8 km.h slower than it also. But even then the sabre still has the gar8 sidewinder option unlike like the Mystere. otherwise Mystere 4 will be a better fighter/bomber... sure.

Hawker Hunter mk 6 on the other hand would be. Mig17F would have to rely on maneuvaerability , but Hunter on the other hand has a better climb rate, and acceleration, but not as maneuverable.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I think the question should be "Would anyone fork $60 for a MiG-17 when they already have the MiG-15?" instead of "Should Belsimtek develop a MiG-17?".

I'd probably get a MiG-17 when it is on sale, which is when I normally buy things. Anyhow, the real question being asked here is how much of the code could be reused? If someone would have to start from ground up basically to write an MiG-17F module then clearly they will have to charge $60 but if they can get a good MiG-17 by just changing a few variables and updating the cockpit.

MiG-17F is not that much of a step up from the MiG-15.

IMHO, MiG-17PF is the only way to go. It has radar, rwr, cannon and may be missiles (K-5 and K-55) as well. It will be a perfect match for future F-86L. :thumbup:

On the contrary. The MiG-17F improves on all the qualities of the MiG-15, making it the ultimate (?) gunfighter. The MiG-17PF on the other hand adds a very primitive radar and useless missiles.

There is now also Razbam's MiG-19 to consider. It has the radar and missiles. It's not as manoeverable as the MiG-15, but it is much faster... Looking forward to the promised MiG-19S.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Mig-17 is very similar to Mig-15. It's flight model would be different, engine management would be different, and the gunsight more advanced, but would it take as long as a typical module to do? Belsimtek seems to release modules at a good consistent pace, and I would love to see the early jets expanded into a more relevant era.

''It's very similar''

*proceeds to list key differences amounting to everything*

What do you think is different between any two aircraft besides the flight model, engine, and systems? That's like... the main things that take years to do ;)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

Being a Mig-15 fan and having hundreds of sim hours on it I would buy the Mig-17 in a flash.

Core i9 9900K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, 128GB G.Skill DDR4-4000, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, 3x Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB, 4x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB HDD, Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 10 Pro.

I hate to say this but the RP-5 in the MiG-19 is just a little bigger and better than the RP-1 in the MiG-17PF!

Hate to say it but RP22M radar in Mig21BIS is better than RP5 on the mig19, ;)

TBH generally as is every fighter that succeeded an earlier one.

But thats besides the point. not all dont fly A/C for the most potent capabilities, but for historical significance and or periodical scenarios. Mig17 is an important step in evlotion before the Mig19, and has use immediate period post Korean war. And FYI not all have radars. Some like myelf would rather fly radarless versions. and get extra perforamnce. Early radars are not as such a dominant sensor as they are in more modern times where they are basically a must have feature.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I would like to purchase a MiG-17 in a heartbeat too no matter which variant it is.

But if I have to pick a version, I would prefer a version that has either a radar, or missiles, or both, since the MiG-15 we have is the MiG-15bis, a version without missile or radar. If I have to pick one, I pick missile. This way, we can have an aircraft that is properly equipped to deal with missile equipped F-86 and F-100 if DCS ever decide to make.

Edited by J-20

It would be more popular if dos gringos had a song titled "I wish I flew the fresco!"

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The F8 crusader needs an adversary....

The mig19 os more its "speed"

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading through the Wikipedia for the data. So I was thinking, MiG-17 is basically a super MiG-15, and F-86K or L is a super F-86F.

So if we can have MiG-17PF and F-86K, then they can be matched perfectly.

MiG-17PF VS F-86K

Max speed

1,106 km/h VS 1,151 km/h

Celling

16,600 m VS 15,163 m

Rate of climb

65 m/s VS 61.7 m/s

Weapon

3x23mm cannon

2x K-5 or K-55

VS

4x20mm cannon