Can we have the new WW2 canopy effects for the Mig-15?

Lixma 06

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been flying the MiG-15bis a lot online and offline lately. The existing canopy reflection is worthless. It not only looks bad, but really limits visibility out of the cockpit. I lose sight of contacts at nearly point blank ranges all the time depending on the lighting/angle to the sun.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 9:47 PM, streakeagle said:

I have been flying the MiG-15bis a lot online and offline lately. The existing canopy reflection is worthless. It not only looks bad, but really limits visibility out of the cockpit. I lose sight of contacts at nearly point blank ranges all the time depending on the lighting/angle to the sun.

That's how it works in real life.

9 hours ago, Zeagle said:

I have flown in real life and I drive cars with lots of glass every day in bright sun. Certain angles can make reflections/glare a problem, but at most angles, the reflection is transparent enough that you don't even notice it unless you focus on it. Dogfighting would be impossible if fighters were blinded in such a wide range of angles and lighting conditions. To approach undetected "out of the sun" required careful flying in a very steady position to blind the opponent but not shadow the sun. The MiG-15 has a baked on reflection that becomes opaque much of the time. If that is the "realistic" just like "real life" solution, why don't all of the official ED aircraft have the same problem and not just the MiG-15bis? Why am I not blind in the F-86 which was made in the same time frame by the same group: Belsimtek. Use a consistent technology to get the best result and apply it evenly. The MiG-21 was another aircraft that had a canopy that could hardly be seen through, especially through the gunsight. The MiG-21bis finally got a clear canopy. If it can't be realistic due to game engine limitations, then I will take 100% transparent over 95% opaque every single time. 

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

22 hours ago, Zeagle said:

In real life, your eyes have a variable focus. When focused far on an opponent, you won't notice blinding reflections as much, as if you focus your eyes on the canopy.

Problem is, that can't be simulated (unless perhaps in VR) on a computer screen. In the game (sorry - simulation) you have a fixed "endless nearfield" focus.

If you're driving your car in bright sunlight the dashboard will mirror in the screen and if you focus on it, it can become distracting - but if you look right through it, it's not much of an issue.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I think the word "blinded" is a bit much..lol. And the term "baked" doesn't mean the same as it did before the advent of shaders and GLSL. 

Your car probably doesn't have a bullet proof windshield with a gunsight behind it. So I am discounting that analogy.

How about an image or a video of the issue? I can support my claim with many images.

Capture.JPG

On 4/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, Zeagle said:

I think the word "blinded" is a bit much..lol. And the term "baked" doesn't mean the same as it did before the advent of shaders and GLSL. 

Your car probably doesn't have a bullet proof windshield with a gunsight behind it. So I am discounting that analogy.

How about an image or a video of the issue? I can support my claim with many images.

Capture.JPG

That is a 3d reflection, that make sense. Today you have a 2d Sticker in the cockpit and collimator sight. 

Put a VR headset and you will see how disoriented and you will see how baked they look. It looks like you are in a bus with a semitransparent sticker in the window. 

When you move your head you should see the reflection move based on perspective. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest update gets rid of the horrific baked in reflection texture and replaces it with a very transparent texture with just enough dirt to see the glass. This eliminates the need to install a "clean glass" mod, but almost completely eliminates any visible reflection / glare. A great solution for playability but perhaps a disappointment for those that liked the baked in texture. For multiplayer, this is even with the F-86 and much more fair whether it is realistic or not. Maybe it could be more realistic, but overall I find the new default texture to be an improvement over both the old default and the clear glass mod.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]