Will the color of normandy trees ever be fixed?

Wolf8312

Even in 2D they look very cartoonish when the light hits them, and I can't imagine there is anyone who thinks they look right, and realistic under such conditions, so how come they have they never been altered after all this time?

Is it something to do with deffered shading perhaps and simply being unable to fix them?

I'm sure normandy after the latest update is looking alot better, but gah those trees are annoying. In perfect conditions when there is no light, the map looks so much better!

Even more than performance (or maybe not more than performance) if theres one thing that is off with normandy it's the trees/light.

Is there no way to just change them so that they are darker when the light hits them? Is this something being worked on, or am I the only one who has a problem with them?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

No you are not the only one. It has been discussed at length in other threads. The trees are one thing, but there are many more things to bring up but it has been done already with little effect. I would not expect much more to happen to this map though. Fingers crossed for the new WW2 map in development (Last newsletter).

I think they look better than the Caucasus trees for the most part. The best thing about the Normandy trees is that they respond to the direction of light....i.e. one side will be in shadow while the other is brightly lit.

gRp2XKE.jpg

This gives them a terrific reality boost; they really look like solid objects.

Compare them to the Caucasus trees which were it not for the shadows on the ground you would be hard pressed to say in what direction is the sun.

omdzpqe.png

Also, there appears to be more variety in the Normandy trees. Not only sizes but shapes and hues.

The only problem I have is that their LOD transitions are too sudden and close to the player and it distracts from the effect.

That's the main problem though. They look fine on one side when there is no light, and terrible when the sun hits them!

Honestly I think it would be better if the devs could just make it so that light didn't affect their color as much as in the caucasus.

I find it hard to believe anyone could have looked at those colors and thought yep that's realistic.

I do hope Normandy will receive some visual improvements, as at the moment it's not a finished map imo. Don't get me wrong it's a great map. Flying across the channel in the big show campaign in a spitfire is fantastic.

When I arrived in france and dived into a swarm of 109's I think its the closest I have ever been to comprehending the shit storm such pilots would have found themselves in, and how difficult it would have been to win and survive (I didn't).

The atmosphere from high altitude is incredible and the map from that height looks beautiful!

But in the interest of the sim itself, those colors when the trees are bathed in sunlight are incredibly jarring, and need to be of a darker tone and color.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

That's the main problem though. They look fine on one side when there is no light, and terrible when the sun hits them!

8<

You mean, at night they look fine, but in the day.... :megalol:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Nah they really ain’t that bad. From one side I find them acceptable, what I meant was when the sun is behind you as oppose to flying into it.

------------

I was just pulling your leg a little ;)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I've changed my mind.

I prefer the overall look of the Normandy trees but God how they shimmer. They're seemingly immune to any kind of AA or AF so unless it's a static screenshot the Speed-Trees are miles ahead.

Message ends.

edit: the trees in Las Vegas are also damned fine.

Edited by Lixma 06