We need to have a chat about memory...

Stacker

I replied to your other post also.

We did not see these issues during our testing, this is why larger testing with a open beta is important.

Hey BIGNEWY thanks for chiming in, I'm certain that ED people are looking at the threads so I'm trying to be as constructive as I can.

I've seen in another thread that upping your pagefile to 16Gb solves the MP issue for ram usage. Sorry I cannot say for myself as I don't MP, yet.

2.5 is drop dead gorgeous for sure! I just wish I could bomb something without there being major stutters.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Hey BIGNEWY thanks for chiming in, I'm certain that ED people are looking at the threads so I'm trying to be as constructive as I can.

I've seen in another thread that upping your pagefile to 16Gb solves the MP issue for ram usage. Sorry I cannot say for myself as I don't MP, yet.

2.5 is drop dead gorgeous for sure! I just wish I could bomb something without there being major stutters.

I have my pagefile set to system managed on a dedicated 60gb SSD and I am still seeing the problems :)

Dont worry, ED are aware and working on the problem.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

From todays changelog:

NOTE

We hard working for memory leak solution.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

From the latest hotfix 1 changelog

NOTE

We hard working for memory leak solution.

I told you so, but you just had no faith

You now have your official statement, you will be able to sleep at night !

P.S: Ooops, sniped

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

From the latest hotfix 1 changelog

I told you so, but you just had no faith

You now have your official statement, you will be able to sleep at night !

P.S: Ooops, sniped

Why the attitude? Don't you see most pilots here are trying to help? Let's try not to be condescending shall we?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I hope they will find some kind of bug, since Memory usage is extreme....

DCS 2.5 uses 97% of my 8GB

P3DV4.1 with Orbx Global Base, ASN running, PMDG 747-400 at a gate at EDDF (Aerosoft) and UT Live with 50% trafic uses: 61% of my 8 GB

IL-2 BOK with highest settings all ground units activated and 16 AI aircraft uses 46% of my 8GB

And honestly - DCS 2.5 with my current settings (Low-Medium, 2xMSAA, DS:Off), Player AV-8B, 1 x AI AV-8B, 3 ships and 6 vehicles, doesn´t look as good as those two sims.

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Read the patch note, last line ! There is your answer

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just leaving this here:

The team is working very hard to bring 2.5 OB to final release. We have been reading all the feedback and striving to address all valid issues. The biggest one we are focused on is memory management. Less than a week after the 2.5 OB release, we released a hot fix today.

We don't want to paint ourselves in a corner and provide a 2.5 stable release date as there are too many unknowns regarding fixing some of the identified issues.

Thanks

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

today my first day of having upgraded to 2.5 OB...

it looks stunning but can confirm serious RAM usage in MP !

I know ED is working hard to fix this... all my prayers to them that they can finally fix this...the Memory issue is a SERIOUS DCS disease !

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

I was trying to run DCS 2.5 today on a rather minimum spec rig in order to have it run as a local server so I don't have to restart my training scenario everytime I look something up on the internet since 16GB in my main rig is also not enough and I need to close even a simple text editor with notes to push back the inevitalbe crash or freeze due to OOM as much as possible. I discovered that 8GB is definately not enough even to run DCS at the absolutely lowest settings possible.

Minimum system requirements:

OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3 at 2.8 GHz; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / ATI R9 280X DirectX11); requires internet activation.

OK, no AMD listed here, it's a Phenom II X4 955, 8GB of DDR2-800 and a Radeon HD 6950 running on Win 10. Lowest settings, fps around 60-90+ with ease, pressing F11, tilt cam up to maximize fps and then go to F10. Just wait for the crash, it will come in a matter of less than a few minutes. Task manager says DCS is just ~2700-2800MB, *B*U*T* loading it up makes the overall usage go from 2.0GB up to 6.4-7.2GB which means DCS uses at least 4.4GB-5.2GB actually (probably more 'cos Win will also free some of the initially used 2GB to make space) and not what Windows 10 is lying to me in the process list. The crash occurs roughly at 90% usage, same as it is the case on my main rig. Windows apparently likes to kill programs or disallow memory writing access as soon as there's "just" about 10% mem left. I just wonder: Why not use that 10%? I'm just saying, in case you got 32GB of RAM, that's a total of 3,276.8MB of wasted memory. Or shall I say, it's amost as much as the low bandwith memory of a GTX 970? rainbowdashwink.png

tl;dr: Please don't declare a minimum of 8GB if it barely runs on twice as much at all rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Guys, just a quick update here:

I upgraded my old Rig from 16 to 24 GB RAM today and immediately tested out DCS MP:

-> It makes a huge difference and even crowded servers are now again a joy to fly !

BUT: after approx 20 mins of fluent MP gameplay I checked my ram usage:

the RAM usage went up to 21,2 ! out of 24 GB !

No troubles so far, but DCS seems to eat up nearly all your RAM atm , just a matter of time..

my RAM issues seem to be healed for the moment but pls ED keep on your work on ironing out the RAM leak... *fingers crossed*

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Usually I settle anywhere between 17 and 22GB RAM, Swap is usually 30.5GB constant.

VRAM goes up to 10.5GB with my settings in 2D ( non-VR ), all HIGH/Ultra, DS+MSAA8x, mirrors, everything maxed out for testing, giving a solid 65fps+ in a Ka-50.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

tl;dr: Please don't declare a minimum of 8GB if it barely runs on twice as much at all rdlaugh.png

This!!! At the very least update the requirements. Its unplayable on minimum settings on a system which has the minimum requirements, and is barely playable on a system with the recommended requirements. If i see that the requirements are over and above my system i dont bother installing even.

We have had 3 hotfixes and not a peep about the memory problem after the first statement. Its a game breaking problem for people without $800 GPU's.

A statement of "we are working on it" doesnt quite get to the root of the problem, maybe they could could show some priority in what is being fixed, I mean for example adding a colour map on the harrier, that is great but why not fix the lighting problem first so we can actually see the MCDU screen properly.

When the release version is "released" next year or the year after maybe just maybe they won't move the system requirement goal posts again.

maybe they could could show some priority in what is being fixed, I mean for example adding a colour map on the harrier, that is great but why not fix the lighting problem first so we can actually see the MCDU screen properly.

The colour map and the MCDU lighting on the Harrier has nothing to do with 2.5 beta bugs or DCS for that matter, you`re way off base, that`s implemented by Razbam. you should get your facts straight before making such a bold statement.!

Edited by rick66

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

This!!! At the very least update the requirements. Its unplayable on minimum settings on a system which has the minimum requirements, and is barely playable on a system with the recommended requirements. If i see that the requirements are over and above my system i dont bother installing even.

We have had 3 hotfixes and not a peep about the memory problem after the first statement. Its a game breaking problem for people without $800 GPU's.

A statement of "we are working on it" doesnt quite get to the root of the problem, maybe they could could show some priority in what is being fixed, I mean for example adding a colour map on the harrier, that is great but why not fix the lighting problem first so we can actually see the MCDU screen properly.

When the release version is "released" next year or the year after maybe just maybe they won't move the system requirement goal posts again.

It's a beta. It's WIP. More patient kid! Go and play football it's Friday ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Imho, one should check thre PageFile settings, over 30GB swap is way off imho.

Have enough OOMPS and bypass the bug is what counts now, cure will come.

The colour map and the MCDU lighting on the Harrier has nothing to do with 2.5 beta bugs or DCS for that matter, you`re way off base, that`s implemented by Razbam. you should get your facts straight before making such a bold statement.!

The whole lighting system in Dcs 2.5 is fubar so no not just a harrier problem.

Have you tried starting cold and dark at night ? Have you tried flying at any time other than dusk or sunrise?

I was talking about priority, adding a "map" to the MCDU is not exactly high priority compared to a memory leak which stops a high proportion of your players being included in multiplayer.

I bought the product from ED using their website not Razbam, if when the final release is ready there is a problem it is ED's problem not Razbam. I fly the harrier every day its my go to aircraft, just a shame because of the lighting in DCS world I cant use it correctly.

It's a beta. It's WIP. More patient kid! Go and play football it's Friday

I'm patient read my post i'm waiting for the release version next year or the year after, also footballs for girls prefer to spend my time checking my lobster pots and surfing in the North Sea