DCS Whole World?

Kev2go

39:03

Wags answers a question.

" Is there eventually a plan to merge maps into 1"

( Paraphrasing here) Wags answers that there are current limitations on max map size, and whilst for now current map technology will be used the developers are looking at working towards creating a " whole Earth" map at some point in the future.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I wouldn’t get too excited yet. I don’t think this is on the horizon even for years. They just figured out the new map technology to have multiple maps and it’s taken years to do that. It’s a very complex simulation and simply doing the FSX or xplane thing wouldn’t work without scaling back the parts we all love.

Also it’s not very necessary. I for one feel no need to simulate an Atlantic crossing in an F18 and if I did I would do it in a different simulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t get too excited yet. I don’t think this is on the horizon even for years. They just figured out the new map technology to have multiple maps and it’s taken years to do that. It’s a very complex simulation and simply doing the FSX or xplane thing wouldn’t work without scaling back the parts we all love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ID imagine given how wags described it it infers World would have Low Resolution areas, and then the High resolution areas would be the Maps that we have ( or will get in the future) , which makes sense as i wouldn't expect entire world to have High detail that given map areas we have in 2.5 level of detail without really ruining performance.

But this is still valid for discussion as this is confirmed feature that we could look forward too in the future.

Also it’s not very necessary. I for one feel no need to simulate an Atlantic crossing in an F18 and if I did I would do it in a different simulator.

Your speaking for yourself here. Certainly Developers feel otherwise Since this is something they have planned. If not Wags would not publicaly announce something that " is not very necessary"

If implemented no one would force you to fly such long distances. Besides those other simulators don't have the same sort of visuals or advanced physics as DCS, and generally arent for Combat so there can't be a direct comparison.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD