F/A-18C Armament Thread

Angelthunder

the HARM operational range is 92nm? Wow. That's one heck of a stand off distance.

Like all range indications, probably very heavy dependant of your altitude and speed, expect a heavy loaded hornet to struggle to get to speed or altitude for that figure to pop up.

Next to that, most SAMs that you'll actually be able to engage don't transmit that far, the ones that do are usually covered by anti-missile capable platforms like the Tor/Gauntlet and/or the Tunguska/Grison.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea how the HARM is targeted/aimed? I.E. if it's anything like the sidearm or if it's more like a KH-58

There are different modes:

- TOO: Target Of Opportunity, use of the HARM sensor in azimuth/ elevation to find and lock targets.

- PB: Pre Briefed, when the SAM position is known

- SP: Self Protect, can use the RWR to quickly engage a threat even off bore sight.

At least this is what we had in some other Hornet/ Super Hornet simulators :music_whistling:

http://www.ausairpower.net/API-AGM-88-HARM.html

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

That's the way it was in Jane's F/A-18.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

So it would be aimed using the MFDs?

There are different ways:

- target's coordinates input in the system

- radar designation

- targeting pod

The guidance is done through the HUD (align align FPM and bomb fall line).

From what I experienced in some other Hornet/ SH sims, Mk8X bombs can be released in AUTO or CCIP, with Paveway II guidance kit or not.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

http://www.team-super-hornet.net/index.php/17-general-documentation/jane-s-f-a-18e-gameplay-guide/14-employing-the-agm-88-harm

From the TEAM SUPERHORNET SITE

Employing The AGM-88 HARM

What is the AGM-88 HARM?

The HARM (high-speed anti-radiation missile) is a weapon designed to destroy hostile ground radar emitters. A Superhornet can carry up to 6 HARM.

HARM is one of the most useful stores available in Jane's F-18. It is a weapon for which target designation can be performed quickly and simply, can be automatically targeted at an imminent threat, and can be fired in a forgiving engagement envelope. No matter what your other stores, it is almost always a good idea to have some HARM on board.

HARM can be employed in one of three modes, selected with PB3, PB4, and PB5 of the HARM SMS MDI page.

Using the AGM-88 HARM in TOO mode

TOO (target of opportunity) mode is the most common method of targeting HARM. In TOO mode, when a HARM is the active weapon, the SMS MDI page displays the emitters that are viewable in the HARM seeker's FOV (field of view). If additional emitters are detected by aircraft EW systems but they do not fall in the HARM seeker's FOV, an arrow is displayed on the right and/or left side of the MDI display, indicating in which direction to point the aircraft in order to bring those emitters within the FOV.

The currently designated HARM target is boxed on the SMS MDI display. In addition, if the emitter is located at a point in space that is within your HUD constraints, the emitter's location on the ground will be boxed in the HUD. Note that the manual indicates that the MDI box can be dashed; it is actually a solid box at all times. To change the designated HARM target, place the TDC in the SMS MDI display (click on the MDI or use the TDC keyboard commands to move the TDC) such that the TDC indicator diamond is displayed in the upper right corner of the MDI. Once the TDC is assigned to the SMS MDI, the TARGET_UNDESIGNATE command (mapped to the backspace key by default) will cycle the target designation box through all visible emitters on the MDI page. It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish exactly which emitter is currently selected for HARM targeting, especially when a number of emitters are closely grouped. There are a number of methods that aid this process.

Selecting the LIMIT option (PB20) will display the top 5 threats instead of a maximum of 15.

PB12 will cycle the displayed emitters between land and sea (L/S) targets, land targets only (LAND), or sea targets only (SEA).

Zooming in on the SMS MDI using the ZOOM_LEFT_MDI and ZOOM_RIGHT_MDI commands will make the MDI image take up more of your monitor.

Note that the manual states that pressing the RSET (reset) button (PB15) automatically selects the highest priority HARM target; this feature is not implemented.

Occasionally an emitter will stop emitting after a HARM has been fired. In this case the HARM remembers where the emitter is and will aim for the last known point. The farther away the HARM is from the emitter at the time emissions cease, the less likely the HARM is to destroy its intended target.

Using the AGM-88 HARM in SP mode

SP (self-protect) mode is an automatic targeting mode of the HARM. When the HARM SP mode is selected and the Superhornet's EW system detects that a ground-based radar is guiding a missile at your aircraft, a HARM will automatically be selected for firing and the intended target will be boxed on the HUD and in the SMS MDI display. No other emitters will appear in the MDI. The next press of the weapon pickle button will release a HARM.

If a hostile radar is guiding a missile intended for your aircraft, the HARM SP mode will activate even if another weapon, or even another master mode, is currently selected. This condition is called an "SP pullback", indicating that the current master mode and weapon selection has been pulled back and replaced with an active HARM. When a pullback condition exists, "HARM" will appear in the middle of the HUD. If the release of a HARM is currently inhibited, "HARM" will appear. HARM release will be inhibited if the landing gear is down, the Master Arm is OFF, or if the release of another weapon is currently in progress.

The only time a HARM pullback will not occur in SP mode is if the HRM-OR (HARM Override) option is boxed on the SMS or EW MDI pages. This option is toggled with PB16 on either of these two MDI pages; when the HRM-OR text is boxed the override is active. HARM Override is useful for the terminal stages of weapons deployment, when an SP pullback would interrupt weapons delivery.

Like TOO mode, HARMs fired in SP mode will attempt to strike their target even if target emissions cease while the HARM is in flight.

Using the AGM-88 HARM in PB mode

PB (pre-briefed) HARM mode is used to launch HARM at pre-designated targets. In this mode HARM is guided by GPS and it does not matter if the target is emitting. PB mode uses the HARM as a medium-range guided missile with a warhead specially designed to kill radar equipment.

To select pre-briefed targets for HARM, box the TGT option on the SMS MDI by pressing PB1. Once TGT is boxed, use the UP and DWN buttons (PB12 and PB13, respectively), to change the selected target. You will see the target number and label change in the lower right portion of the MDI. Be sure to only select radar targets for HARM launch, as the missile will be ineffective against most other vehicles and structures.

Once a target is selected, a time displays next to the TOF line in the upper right of the MDI. TOF stands for time of flight and indicates how long a HARM would be in the air, in minutes:seconds format, if it were launched at that moment. This is useful for calculating when to launch a missile so that it destroys a target at a specific time. When your aircraft is in range of the currently selected PB target, an IN RNG indication appears at the top right of the MDI. At this point a HARM fired will reach the target.

Once a HARM is fired, the time next to the FLT indication activates. This is the flight time of the last launched missile and indicates the time remaining before it reaches its target. This is useful for knowing how long it will be until a radar stops emitting (and guiding). The bottom time line indicates the difference between these two times.

HARM Employment Considerations

With the exception of PB mode, there is no range indicator for HARM targets. This means that it can be difficult to tell when you are in range of an emitter. There is no in-range indicator in a real F-18 either; HARM detects emitter strength and thus a determination of range is not possible.

A simple rule-of-thumb will do you well when targeting HARM in TOO or SP mode. If the emitter box on your HUD is at or below -5 degrees on the horizon , a HARM fired at that point in time will reach its target before running out of energy. Be sure to use the -5 degree line on your HUD pitch ladder since Jane's F-18 uses haze to ease the lanscape rendering load and the visible horizon is not the true horizon.

It is also very helpful to know that the Jane's F-18 HARM outranges all SAMs in the game with the exception of the SA-10. That means that if missiles from a launcher are reaching you, you can reach the launcher with a HARM if that launcher is not an SA-10. This is the reason that the SA-10 is one of the two hardest SAM threats to overcome in Jane's F-18. The other is the SA-11 because SA-11s can still guide even if their main radar is destroyed (although they will do so at shorter ranges); completely neutralizing an SA-11 site requires the destruction of all radars and missiles.

In the beginning of campaigns in which hostilities are in full swing (such as the stock campaign) it is a good idea to load lots of HARM if possible. At the end of a mission, remaining HARM can be fired at targets of opportunity in order to reduce the number of active SAM radars on subsequent missions.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Well, even if the Hornet and Super Hornet can perform the same task, the 2 extra wings stores on the SH allow you to fight like "an army of one".

Sure you can take 2 Fox 2 + 2 Fox 3 + 2 or 3 fuel tanks, 2 weapons to strike the target and 2 HARM for self protection.

But with the Hornet, you will likely have to make some choice :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

Are you talking about the Unguided rockets?

Either.

I haven't heard of the CRV7-PG being used in service (yet).

But it is an interesting rocket. In addition to the high explosive, illumination, and smoke rounds there is a British semi-armour piercing incendiary round for use against buildings, an anti-shipping round, and a cluster round.

Of course the real prize would be the WDU-5002/B flechette anti-tank round.

They are good rockets, about 41% faster than a Hydra-70 and very accurate (3 mils in ideal conditions). They've been in use on CF-188/CF-18s for years.

In theory, we should get getting them...

I hope. We're an ally, not the USN... so not the exact same variant (ours has some other detailed differences such as a lateral high powered lamp for reading the tail-codes on Tu-95s). Just because it is fitted to ours doesn't mean it will be modelled.

We could probably have modded it in - but with the cancelling of the Eurofighter Typhoon module... we may not see it in engine for a long time.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. I remember people asking for USMC F/A-18 stuff and the answer from ED was they are making an US Navy F/A-18C Lot 20 Hornet, so the stuff asked will not be included. I don't think they will then implement stuff from other countries except for the skins.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Any word on if the CRV-7 is going to be included? For us Canadians...?

Are you talking about the Unguided rockets?

Either.

I haven't heard of the CRV7-PG being used in service (yet).

But it is an interesting rocket. In addition to the high explosive, illumination, and smoke rounds there is a British semi-armour piercing incendiary round for use against buildings, an anti-shipping round, and a cluster round.

Of course the real prize would be the WDU-5002/B flechette anti-tank round.

They are good rockets, about 41% faster than a Hydra-70 and very accurate (3 mils in ideal conditions). They've been in use on CF-188/CF-18s for years.

I hope. We're an ally, not the USN... so not the exact same variant (ours has some other detailed differences such as a lateral high powered lamp for reading the tail-codes on Tu-95s). Just because it is fitted to ours doesn't mean it will be modelled.

We could probably have modded it in - but with the cancelling of the Eurofighter Typhoon module... we may not see it in engine for a long time.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. I remember people asking for USMC F/A-18 stuff and the answer from ED was they are making an US Navy F/A-18C Lot 20 Hornet, so the stuff asked will not be included. I don't think they will then implement stuff from other countries except for the skins.

Short Answer is NO.

The Air frame Modeled is USN F/A-18C Lot 20 Mid 2000's,

Not A CF-188.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Good to know. It is a shame as it reinforces the sense of being left out of history (i.e. many simulations of the Mighty 8th but none of the equally important night bombing campaign or Mediterranean in WWII)... but now I'm just whining I suppose.

It does feel kindof weird when what is essentially Canada's main combat aircraft is modelled in such high fidelity and yet somehow Canada still ends up with no aircraft modelled. :) Uh-oh, I can feel an incoherent and largely indefensible rant about the Avro Arrow coming on :D

But seriously - thanks for the straight answer.

Good to know. It is a shame as it reinforces the sense of being left out of history (i.e. many simulations of the Mighty 8th but none of the equally important night bombing campaign or Mediterranean in WWII)... but now I'm just whining I suppose.

It does feel kindof weird when what is essentially Canada's main combat aircraft is modelled in such high fidelity and yet somehow Canada still ends up with no aircraft modelled. :) Uh-oh, I can feel an incoherent and largely indefensible rant about the Avro Arrow coming on :D

You will get a Canadian skin or two :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I'm not mistaken, CF-188 are customized (and later upgraded) F/A-18A.

It's the same for the Spanish EF-18 with custom upgrade, or specific Swiss F/A-18 (with a cockpit which looks like Super Hornet).

It's difficult to make them all...

Mirage fanatic !

If I'm not mistaken, CF-188 are customized (and later upgraded) F/A-18A.

It's the same for the Spanish EF-18 with custom upgrade, or specific Swiss F/A-18 (with a cockpit which looks like Super Hornet).

It's difficult to make them all...

I know these are different planes, and im not trying to say ED needs to make them, but it should be clarified that differences arent as big as you think, at least not when compared to Swiss hornets for EG.

The CF188 upgrades are the equivalent of the USMC F/A18A ++.

The only difference in avionics are the Displays are all LCD and colour capable, and that the Analog fuel display is retained being orginally an F/A18A whilst All F/A18C's have digital fuel display . Otherwise except for those 2 things F/A18A ++ and CF188 are up to same avionics standards as a 2000s era USN F/A18C's that we are getting in DCS.

So to those fellow Canuck Drivers, dont despair, the USN hornet is more than close enough to fill in RCAF's Hornet capabilities.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Still any news on the loadout we will have on the F-18? Especially if we have the possibility to mount 2 jdam on a single pylon.

2018-04-26.thumb.jpg.b1153304218f34f225554daa7ab0d79a.jpg

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

Still any news on the loadout we will have on the F-18? Especially if we have the possibility to mount 2 jdam on a single pylon.

Yes... it's been a while already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13

It's not clear yet if we will be able to mount the JDAMs on the BRU-33.

LGBs and others? yes.

It's not clear yet if we will be able to mount the JDAMs on the BRU-33.

LGBs and others? yes.

JDAM's require a MIL-STD-1760 databus so the BRU-33 will not be able to use them. The BRU-55 is the rack that is MIL-STD-1760 capable. Being that this is a mid-2000 Hornet and the BRU-55 was not purchased for the fleet until last year I doubt it will make it onto the DCS Hornet.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

JDAM's require a MIL-STD-1760 databus so the BRU-33 will not be able to use them. The BRU-55 is the rack that is MIL-STD-1760 capable. Being that this is a mid-2000 Hornet and the BRU-55 was not purchased for the fleet until last year I doubt it will make it onto the DCS Hornet.

Yeah I am aware of that. I wasn't sure about the necessary wiring.

Thanks!

So no JDAMs on BRU-33.

All this talk of the HARM, and I'm over here looking forward to the Shrike. :)

I'm also the guy that doesn't care about the AMRAAM... i really like the AIM-7 and getting kicked in the junk... Thank you sir, may I have another!

I play 100% multiplayer, and i can generally get within 10 miles of a SAM radar by beaming and hitting the deck when fired at... I know nothing about SEAD, but I figure a Shrike will do the trick.

FWIW, my 2 cents is that the exact capabilities of the HARM are classified, and there's a pretty large energy difference between a search radar and hand held radio. I would be pretty surprised if it could home in on a hand held radio, given the amount of EM radiation flyin around out there today... but i could be wrong. I'd love to read the article from which that statement was derived.

Edited by Banzaiib