DCS 2.5 and VR (Occulus Rift would be my choice)

Hey guys,

Lots of threads on this subjet and on a lot of different forums, some old posts, some recent, but lots of them kinda doesn<t match my exact questionning...

I'm planning to do the VR jump (well was planning this for a few years) :)

But i was focusing to change/upgrade my RIG for it, GPU, MB, CPU and RAM of course... but here i am now, after a few days after i finaly upgraded my GPU, went from a GTX 760, to a GTX 1070 8g. The change was beyound my imagination, seems like my CPU still does quite well... so as i spoke to the guy at the shop and been looking forums, i ended up with the idea of, getting the Oculus first, see how it goes, if not happy, then upgrade the rest, instead of initial plan tu upgrade all then buy the Oculus.

So my main quesiton is, to know if any of you ever had the same settings or still ahve it, and how it deals, but, as i not hardcore gamer point of view or stock CPU, no overcloking, found quite a few threads with the same settings, but OCed, i wanna to know by curiosity how it goes stock... As for both Oculus and HTC Vive, both applicaiton make sme pass recommended or better, exept the CPU which gives a minimum or better. But i wanna have the feeling of normal gamer, not people addicted to high ends CPU and RIG that for him, 100 FPS and less is crap, but more normal people, as to see if i can run it for a while until replacing all core items. So some idea of what FPS is good in VR general and what this settings might give you some of you guys as a reference.

So here's my setting.

Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) (which has some USB 3.0 ports)

i7-2600k 3.4g

16 g RAM (DDR3 1867)

EVGA GTX 1070 8g

Win 10 and DCS 2.5 Runing on SSD's

Any feedback appreciated, but again i don'T wana any hardcore gamer feedback that for them below 50 FPS with screen only is unaceptable. :)

Hi , i have same GPU. 1070 8gb

I find that dcs runs quite ok in VR , even in MP play in dynamic caucasus server is ok.

I have:

All Textures = high

Water = high

Visualrange = High

Shadows = low

Terrains shadows = flat

Civ traffic = low

Heatblur = low

Msaa= 2x

AF = 4x

Deffered shading = ON

PD = 1.2

Trees = max, Grass =1000

Runs quite smooth 45fps (ASW lock)

And it will get better when ED gets mem leaks etc.. fixed.

Im sure that VR gets more optimization in future.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My system is identical to that of OP, but I OCed my CPU to 4.5, and run 1080ti. Oculus runs pretty well at 45fps with ASW on mostly high settings (with flat shadows and civ traffic low). Imo 45fps and Oculus's ASW feel very good in modern setting (i.e. DCS), for WW2 combat you really do NEED higher fps.

I say go for it and upgrade everything once gen2 VR sets are out.

Edited by Katmandu

Thanks for the replies.

As for OC, thats what i read quite a lot, lots of people OC their i7-2600, so i know i can still tweak it a bit if i want a bit better and will still cost me less and wait for future real upgrade.

As for WW2, good thing, so far i have no interest in that erra wjem it comes to flight sim, so far, i'm adicted to the Harrier, main item i fly and modern targets, so i'm happy with Nevada and Caucas map.

I find that dcs runs quite ok in VR , even in MP play in dynamic caucasus server is ok.

I have:

All Textures = high

Water = high

Visualrange = High

Shadows = low

Terrains shadows = flat

Civ traffic = low

Heatblur = low

Msaa= 2x

AF = 4x

Deffered shading = ON

PD = 1.2

Trees = max, Grass =1000

My system is identical to that of OP, but I OCed my CPU to 4.5, and run 1080ti. Oculus runs pretty well at 45fps with ASW on mostly high settings (with flat shadows and civ traffic low). Imo 45fps and Oculus's ASW feel very good in modern setting (i.e. DCS), for WW2 combat you really do NEED higher fps.

I say go for it and upgrade everything once gen2 VR sets are out.

Wasn'T sure about 1080 or even 1080TI and even 1070TI with my Mobo from what i'Ve read, so when teh guys told me at the store the GPU purchase was final and no exchange or returns unless broken, it scared me, so i went safe with a 1070 as lots of people on forums used it no issues with same motherboard and CPU i had.

Occulus ordered last night. We shall see how it goes whne i get it :)

You should cancel your order if you can, the Vive Pro is a better product. If you don't like HTC, Pimax offers a better option than the old Oculus hardware you went with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should cancel your order if you can, the Vive Pro is a better product. If you don't like HTC, Pimax offers a better option than the old Oculus hardware you went with.

BS , Vive pro cost is crazy. And pixmax ... still not ready ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Occulus ordered last night. We shall see how it goes whne i get it :)

:thumbup:

Excellent choice!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset developed and manufactured by Oculus VR, a division of Facebook Inc., released on March 28, 2016.

:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1st, i've read Vive is better yep, but Oculus was better at lower lower performance/ lower res/FPS, which for now is my case with my old i7-2600, second, oculus is cheaper, third from al i read Oculus is more confortable for people wearing glasses and third, i tried Oculus and know it, Vive i never, so i rather not gamble a almost 200$ more bucks for something i havent tried.

Edited by Doum76

I'd look at getting some prescription lenses made specifically for the Rift if I wore glasses (OT- I probably need to):

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-r...enses-adapter/

https://vr-lens.eu/

I've seen a few people say that glasses are quite uncomfortable for prolonged periods in VR. And a few horror stories of glasses scratching the lenses in the HMD, which can't be replaced.

Most people seem very happy with theirs from what I've seen.

I'd look at getting some prescription lenses made specifically for the Rift if I wore glasses (OT- I probably need to):

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-r...enses-adapter/

https://vr-lens.eu/

I've seen a few people say that glasses are quite uncomfortable for prolonged periods in VR. And a few horror stories of glasses scratching the lenses in the HMD, which can't be replaced.

Most people seem very happy with theirs from what I've seen.

Nerver thought about looking for this, you are just awesome man, thanks!

EDIT: damn, after seing the prices, i presume i'll go with a guys cheapest solution, he has 3-4 options with different cost, i guess i,ll be using the cheaest one as a start, using Nerf Darts on each side as a spacer to space up the gap of the glasses frames from the rift lens, so both lens sets doesn't touch.

Edited by Doum76

Well, Rift has arrived two dasy ago. It runs not that bad after all, i would expect way worste. Lots of high setings, some low, mirrors off, shadow medium, texture, water highest it can, cockpit ilum. on, full anistrop., MSAA 0 and i get average 45 DPS, still a lot more than what i ran over years with my old GTX 760, ltos of low settings and i was getting average 25 FPS, so now i got double, lots of hihest settings but most, in VR.

I'm sure getting the CPU OC would help a lot, but i ain't gonna risk to fool around with this. :)

I have:

All Textures = high

Water = high

Visualrange = High

Shadows = low

Terrains shadows = flat

Civ traffic = low

Heatblur = low

Msaa= 2x

AF = 4x

Deffered shading = ON

PD = 1.2

Trees = max, Grass =1000

will try this out :)

the improvement of Pro over Oculus is very small and not worth the ridiculous price you can get 2.5 Oculus units for the price of a Pro and if you are not sure tough it out over the summer Oculus should have version 2 out by fall

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I have just received my 4k Pimax and am NOT impressed. Seems to be very wavy in VR, the Vive was the same way. Not as pixelated as the Vive but still wouldnt recommend to others until they fix their failed promise of 4K which, simply is NOT true and dont fall for it! Back to good ole track IR

I have just received my 4k Pimax and am NOT impressed. Seems to be very wavy in VR, the Vive was the same way. Not as pixelated as the Vive but still wouldnt recommend to others until they fix their failed promise of 4K which, simply is NOT true and dont fall for it! Back to good ole track IR

Well, I would say the opposite - using Pimax 4K for two weeks already and happy as hell.

It may be a bit tricky to find the correct graphics settings to get the best picture/performance ratio, but when you do - it is a whole new dimension in DCS.

Yes, I did expect more from the headset, but then I found out that even the guys who have the top-notch gaming rigs (1080Ti and stuff) have to use medium graphics settings - else you will have a slideshow instead of a flight.

Just to experiment I tried to launch DCS with maximum graphics settings while still in Pimax - the picture is awesome. It's just that our PCs are still not ready to render all this goodness.

• Gigabyte Z97X SLI
  • i5 4670K OC + СoolerMaster 212 Evo
  • inno3D GTX980 iChill
  • 16 GB RAM
  • OCZ Vector 128 GB SSD + 3TB Seagate HDD
  • M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
  • Pimax 4K HMD

• Self-made air mouse controller
  • VKB Cobra Z (BRD Mod)
  • Gametrix ECS; VKB T-Rudder
  • Custom Mjoy 16 switch panel
  • Wireless Inertial Tracker + Opentrack

I'm pretty much happy with my Rift for now, been backing up for about 2 years to make the VR jump and decided a few weeks ago and i'm freaking out, even though better gear is coming out and blablabla, i'm happy with it, it's even with this setup 50 times better than screen+TrackIR :) i ratehr have less resolution now but being in VR than better res and not having it.

I think that pretty much sums up most folks view on VR (Those that opt to keep it).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There is lots left to wish but the experience is just overwhelming.

One of those things you cannot describe but have to "see" it yourself.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My brother had both the Vive and Rift, so I got to try both and found the rift to better for me with DCS World. I like VR and use it as much as practical, but the resolution is too low for multibogey air combat. Even when you can spot a plane, you can't identify it. 1080p was never good enough for me, but VR is like flying at 640x480.

So, for the near future, I have retained the ability to fly both VR and large monitor/TrackIR until VR improves its performance enough to equal or surpass my 2d monitor image quality.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is lots left to wish but the experience is just overwhelming.

One of those things you cannot describe but have to "see" it yourself.

Yeah, I tried it all and was underwhelmed by all the current VR solutions. I haven't deluded myself in thinking low resolution hashed pixelated tunnel vision is all that great.

4k screens blow VR out of the water.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]