Tips on warbird aircraft recognition in MP?

Mr_sukebe

Does anyone have some good tips on how to recognise aircraft in VR?

I've recently started joining MP servers to learn how to combat fly my warbirds. I'm really struggling to spot friend from foe. Last night, I shot up what I sure was an Fw190 in my Spit, only to realise when I'd set him on fire, that it was a Mustang. Felt really bad about it.

Burning skies has labels limited to dots only, and even using the zoom function in VR doesn't seem to help that much.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Learn to spot color and shape. It takes practice. Sometimes you gotta get in close to see, depending on aspect, but a lot of the planes have distinct things about that to look for. The Spit has a huge prop, mustang has a huge intake on the bottom, 109 has very skinny wings, none of those and its a 190 ;)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Now been a while since I flew the warbirds, but the germans MG's have green tracer fire, where the allies have yellow.

Was a good way for me to spot who is who at distance, and then pick your prey, and dont loose sight of it.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |