Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #61
Drakoz

Reputation power: 4
Drakoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
USBDeview.exe
This is the utility I use to resolve the above. It identifies the USB ports and links to the Registry where you can modify the "Power Saving Mode" from 1 to 0 thereby nullifying the port from shutting down at presumed non-use. Note: Seems when big W10 updates become available, one has to reset them again.

Sorry, no link but a search should show it. If not I can upload once I figure out how to do that.
USBDView is made by Nirsoft, the same people that make USBLogView. Here's the link for USBLogView. There is a link on that page for USBDView as well.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

To those that don't know, USBLogView will show all USB device events (plug in, unplug, etc.). So it will show if a USB device is connecting and disconnecting due to, say, a bad cable or USB port. I don't think it shows devices being put to sleep, though. Or at least I never saw that happen.

USBDView is more of a device list display. It shows all USB devices currently pluged in, or which were plugged in in the past, but are currently unplugged, along with all kinds of system information including details about the drivers for each device and as Catseye says, registry info.

Catseye, thanks for the note - I hate to dive into the registry to solve this, but I'll check it out.
Drakoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #62
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Got this 3 times last night. Too bad my new axis assignment had the chopper throttle on one of it. The disconnection set the throttle straight to 0 which leaves you with no choice but to autorotate to the ground since I am mostly flying below 100 ft. (
Old 11-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #63
Olmba

Reputation power: 0
Olmba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Got this 3 times last night. Too bad my new axis assignment had the chopper throttle on one of it. The disconnection set the throttle straight to 0 which leaves you with no choice but to autorotate to the ground since I am mostly flying below 100 ft. (
This happen to me also, have this issue for months and sometime it's so bad that my chopper crash. I dont belive this is hardware related, more into DCS coding. Hope DEV will look into this so we can hav a fix.
Olmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #64
flyco

Reputation power: 7
flyco will become famous soon enoughflyco will become famous soon enoughflyco will become famous soon enough

Just for information, I have been recording these re-initialisation incidents since Jul 2016. All are very similar, with DCS re-initialising my input devices well into the mission, ousually in batches of 5, lasting for well under a second, and sometimes up to 100 times in a single sortie.

I don't know when the hot-plug facility was introduced, but I believe it was from about then, and that would be my best bet as to its cause. No evidence for this, purely circumstantial.

Edit - just checked and hot-plug appears to be first mentioned in late Jun 2016 in the Forum.

Last edited by flyco; 11-10-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added info
flyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #65
Dutch Baron

Reputation power: 3
Dutch Baron will become famous soon enoughDutch Baron will become famous soon enough

Hello all,

So after ordering the 5 port USB card, I installed it and was not surprised to see my issue has NOT been resolved by this USB card. I do have over 25 Euros less in the bank, but I gained 5 USB ports, whooopeeee!!!....
Just to be clear, I never heard any USB sound from being plugged/unplugged while flying in DCS, so I did not expect this USB card to solve the issue, but after being so desperate I am willing to do just about anything, except throwing more money at this problem.

After reading CiriBob's comment, regarding the RealTek audio card, I tried something that gave me a big shocker.....

So what did I do:
While in DCS and looking at the live log (using LogExpert), I removed my 3.5mm headset jack plug from the socket and BOOOOM!!!! the log filled up with re-initializations.
When plugging it back in BOOOOM!!! again the log filled with entries.

My log entries look like this:
00562.344 INFO INPUT: Device [Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {7B9A4200-572D-11e5-8002-444553540000}] created deviceId = 174
00562.344 INFO INPUT: Joystick created[Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {7B9A4200-572D-11e5-8002-444553540000}], ForceFeedBack: no
00562.345 INFO INPUT: Device [Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {7ADB85E0-572D-11e5-8001-444553540000}] created deviceId = 175
00562.345 INFO INPUT: Joystick created[Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {7ADB85E0-572D-11e5-8001-444553540000}], ForceFeedBack: no
00562.369 INFO INPUT: Device [Keyboard] created deviceId = 176

This is the ultimate proof that the hotplug functionality is the culprit here.

I my case it seems the RealTek audio card is the system affected by this, but CiriBob's suggestion to disable the RealTek is not an option for me, as this RealTek is my main and only sound system.
I updated all related drivers, but still have this issue.

As stated before, this issue appeared after a DCS update, most likely related to the hot-plug option.
Again, I hope ED can finally arrange a hotfix, or a procedure to turn this option off altogether, so all those players with this issue can possibly be helped, looking at the amount of views and responses in this thread, we are not alone in this situation.

I expect I will get some answers like, buy a new or another audio card, but why on earth would I buy a new card, while I have one in perfect working order, and the only situation where the issue occurs is in DCS and it has NEVER happened before this specific update over !! 1 year !! ago. I started this thread 07-11-2016.

So please my dear people of ED, can you PLEASE provide us with a hotfix or procedure or even a MOD to turn the hotplug functionality off and see if this fixes our extremely frustrating issues that many of us have been experiencing for over 1 year?

I know ED is VERY busy with all kinds of great stuff for the future, but a fair share of your paying customers have issues with the DCS RELEASE version, meaning the correct working version for paying customers, where these paying customers do have a right to ask for a fix on certain issues they are facing with the consumer product.

I am not ranting or trying to offend anyone, but I do expect that any professional company can understand that consumers can be very much frustrated by issues they are experiencing, especially for such a long time and during EVERY single flight they do in DCS.
Me being an active community member of TAW, means I fly a lot and do a lot with/for DCS.

So I hope BigNewy, SkateZilla or SithSpawn are willing to communicate this to ED and let me know the results of this communication.

Much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

P.s. Please note that my emotions regarding DCS are high, but the only reason for that is that I LOVE DCS!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #66
flyco

flyco will become famous soon enoughflyco will become famous soon enoughflyco will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update Dutch Baron. Sorry about your expenses.

I have a Realtek card, but I use a Bluetooth headset via USB for sound. I will have to see if I can disable the Realkek and still get sound.

Nevertheless, I echo your pleas to ED. Do have a look at it for all those frustrated people who are experiencing this problem. I suspect it must be hundreds, but unless they have critical USB controllers and check the logs file, most may not be aware of it.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #67
quarz

Reputation power: 0
quarz is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, I can not tell you how good it feels to read this thread - I am somehow relieved yet still dissatisfied.

I stopped playing this sim in 2014 (had other things to do). During the summer of 2017 I had the opportunity to buy an Oculus Rift and tried it out only using an Xbox controller with dcs.
I was so blown away: I had to buy the Thrustmaster Warthog, MFDs, Milan's MFG Crosswind and REINITIATED "nolife.exe"

In short :all the sim products I now own are all new stuff ..yet I (often) sometimes have exactly the same behaviour with the Warthog Throttle as mentioned here by you.
I would therefore say we can safely exclude the possibility of the Warthog Throttle's internal electronics and wires of being loose.

Although, there still is a chance that a big stack of Thrustmaster's Warthog Throttles were made with faulty electronics and distributed into the wide world (and we are now the lucky ones owning these things) - or there must be something wrong with the way DCS / Windows handles this situation.

I noticed the here mentioned behaviour shortly after I started setting up controls for my Warthog (i.e. binding electrical power for FC3 aircraft on EAC Switch and opening/closing cockpit on the Radar Altimeter Switch -> I find this funny cause there is one guy in the beginning of this thread who practically mentioned "a sudden opening of my canopy + loss of electrical power", which of course is exactly the same thing that now happens to me

Oh man, my face when it occurred for the first time.. priceless.

Now, I actually also have another problem right now: With the latest two patches I am also having lots of timeouts in multiplayer (unwanted disconnects).
I'm not too sure whether both issues are somehow related to each other (specifically: if this issue with the Warthog Throttle ultimately causes the disconnects from server / connection timeouts).

I therefore want to ask you:

Do you have lots of connection timeouts recently (you are getting disconnected from servers, press "OK" and you can still see the server being online / people playing on it in the server browser)?

Last edited by quarz; 11-15-2017 at 02:00 AM.
quarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #68
flyco

Quarz, it's good to see more people registering this problem. Keep coming, the rest of you, try and persuade ED to take a look.

As for disconnections form Servers, i can't say that it is a regular occurrence, certainly not as bad as you seem to be experiencing. I get the occasional drop out, but usually it seems to be loss of connection with the server, rather than just dropping off the game-plot, which is what i understand you are experiencing.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #69
Drakoz

Reputation power: 4
Drakoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Baron View Post
I my case it seems the RealTek audio card is the system affected by this, but CiriBob's suggestion to disable the RealTek is not an option for me, as this RealTek is my main and only sound system.
I updated all related drivers, but still have this issue.!
You don't have to get rid of your onboard Realtek Audio because doing so will not solve the problem. Try it - disable the onboard audio through the BIOS and try DCS. See if you continue to get the problem. In my case, I saw no effect. But if your audio jack is faulty and causing your mic or headphone to connect/disconnect randomly, then yes, of course, disabling your Realtek audio will reduce the number of times this issue occurs, but not get rid of it.

Disconnecting or reconnecting a mic or headphone will cause the Realtek driver to re-init the audio devices because that is what it does. This is a normal feature of the Realtek driver (and probably every other audio card) to auto detect changing inputs and outputs and add/subtract them from the available audio devices. But there are many other things on our computers that will do the same thing, and any one of them can cause DCS to pause and re-init.

Reread my post, #60 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=60) where I explain all the ways it is possible to recreate this issue with DCS. It is normal for many different sources to cause a change in available devices on the system. And any such change causes DCS to pause and re-init DirectX. Obviously, while in DCS, you would want to minimize this occurring by not inserting or removing any such devices, but it seems (in my case at least), there is something in Windows that still causes DCS to re-init ever 1 to 15 minutes. My point being this is a normal part of Windows, and it is unavoidable to prevent it. No amount of turning off power saving modes, or the other fixes people have suggested consistently solve the issue.

What I believe is going on with DCS is that in reaction to these common and regular Windows events, DCS is issuing a DirectX reset or re-init which will reset some devices (like some FFB sticks, or certain USB I/O boards), and then doing so causes DCS to have to reacquire all USB input devices which takes 1-3 seconds, causing a complete lockup of DCS.

I've been discussing this verbally with friends that fly DCS and explaining the symptoms. More and more I am discovering that many people have this issue but have just been ignoring it because it doesn't mess up their USB devices, or it doesn't happen as often to them. It causes momentary lockups in DCS, but like me, they thought it was just a graphics glitch, or that DCS was just being glitchy period, and they just accepted that it is a fact of life. But now I think there is a pretty clear explanation of what is going on and possibly how to solve it.
Drakoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #70
flyco

In my case, this is an intermittent problem. I can fly a 2 hr sortie and not get a single re-initialisation. Other 30 min sorties will produce 2 or 3 of them. One strange property is that, apart from the initial start-up, they seem to come in batches of 5. And each batch of 5is completed in well under a second. But still long enough to switch a few of my Device switches to cycle on and then off.

Your theory may be right, but everyone’s system seems to misbehave in a similar, but not identical way.

If anyone is interested, I can let them have my collection of over a 100 log files, showing this. I thought not!

Tags
tm warthog, uncontrolled input