Landing Light Pointing - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
159th_Viper
Veteran

Reputation power: 468
159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 159th_Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
View the "external" video (if you haven't already). "Far" is first followed by "Near". You get far greater coverage with "Far" than your image suggests.
Yeah had a look but obviously misread

I'm of the opinion that 'Near' as detailed in your vids would be the more appropriate light to use for landing merely due to the fact that it casts a brighter light on the most important piece of real-estate that you need to bother about, ie the runway straight ahead, especially in circumstances where you have zero runway illumination - all good and fine seeing what is going on next to you but pretty useless in the dead of night during landing when that's obviously not your intended direction of travel

But hey, stranger things have happened.

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....
One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'
'We came from the Sea..........And Tremble our Foes like a Storm on the Lee'

Last edited by 159th_Viper; 11-14-2017 at 05:11 PM.
159th_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #22
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 41
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
After watching Ironhand's videos i searched for "SU-27 night landing". This was the first and best i could find, maybe this helps? No "clear" shot of the landing lights though.
Definitely shows that the twin lights angle off to the left, though it seems to be a bit less extreme than what we see in the sim. But it's hard to tell.

Here's one from the pit. Unfortunately the resolution sucks. But it definitely seems to only illuminate the ground to the left of the aircraft. As they land, there's no hint of that light to the right side:

[EDIT: Thank you, Unknown, for solving my problem.:EDIT ENDS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159th_Viper View Post

I'm of the opinion that 'Near' as detailed in your vids would be the more appropriate light to use for landing merely due to the fact that it casts a brighter light on the most important piece of real-estate that you need to bother about, ie the runway straight ahead, especially in circumstances where you have zero runway illumination - all good and fine seeing what is going on next to you but pretty useless in the dead of night during landing when that's obviously not your intended direction of travel

But hey, stranger things have happened.
That one vid I found shows the light to the left. Of course, what you can't tell from it is what you see straight ahead. BTW, Unknown's video actually shows all three lit at the same time...something we do not have available to us. I wonder if that's the real issue.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 11-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
159th_Viper
Veteran

159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute159th_Viper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BTW, Unknown's video actually shows all three lit at the same time...something we do not have available to us. I wonder if that's the real issue.
Yeah, I'm thinking that there is something amiss. Interesting to note also is that on the Russian Knights rollout in your vid you can see the illumination to the right (9min31sec) as well.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #24
Ironhand
Veteran

Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking that there is something amiss. Interesting to note also is that on the Russian Knights rollout in your vid you can see the illumination to the right (9min31sec) as well.
I missed the transition! Thanks for pointing it out. At 9:22 the landing light is extinguished and what remains illuminating is the taxi light. That's what you're seeing illuminating the ground equally on both sides of the aircraft from that point on.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
159th_Viper
Veteran

Quote:
I missed the transition! Thanks for pointing it out. At 9:22 the landing light is extinguished and what remains illuminating is the taxi light. That's what you're seeing illuminating the ground equally on both sides of the aircraft from that point on.

Aye, the transition occurs 5 seconds after touchdown. That's what we are missing it seems - I would assume that it's an automatic transition to one-bulb illumination from two-bulb illumination as opposed to a pilot toggle.

Then again, you know what they say about ass-u-ming.

Also still does not explain the three-bulb illumination during taxi of the other vid....

Last edited by 159th_Viper; 11-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #26
Fox One

Reputation power: 13
Fox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the roughFox One is a jewel in the rough

Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Aye, the transition occurs 5 seconds after touchdown. That's what we are missing it seems - I would assume that it's an automatic transition to one-bulb illumination from two-bulb illumination as opposed to a pilot toggle.

Then again, you know what they say about ass-u-ming.

Also still does not explain the three-bulb illumination during taxi of the other vid....
Since we started this video comparison, I've found another video also showing all three lights on during the touchdown sequence:

As you watch further, though, during the takeoff that follows it appears that only the taxi light is illuminated. But it's hard to tell. In places it looks like there's a 2nd light source. I was hoping for the same camera location on the subsequent landing sequence but...no such luck.

BTW, I assume that, when you refer to "one-bulb illumination", you're referring to the taxi light and not that one of the two landing lights (far) is extinguished.

Last edited by Ironhand; 11-14-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Alter video link per Unknown's instructions
Old 11-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #28
159th_Viper
Veteran

Quote:
BTW, I assume that, when you refer to "one-bulb illumination", you're referring to the taxi light and not that one of the two landing lights (far) is extinguished.
Yep.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #29
unknown

Reputation power: 10
unknown is a jewel in the roughunknown is a jewel in the roughunknown is a jewel in the roughunknown is a jewel in the roughunknown is a jewel in the roughunknown is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Su-27 Russian Knights Night Flight

BTW, anyone know how to display a YT link with a timestamp using the YT brackets? I've never been able to get it to work. I can only get it to work using the URL brackets. Without a timestamp, there's no problem.
I figured it out with a little help from google. Copy your YT link that you put between the YT tags and add ?start=XXX
XXX = position in seconds for example 8minutes * 60seconds + 32seconds = 532 seconds in your video?

[ YOUTUBE ]u-DmK-x2-bo?start=532[ /YOUTUBE ]

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 1800X, 32gb RAM, Radeon R9 Fury X

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Hotas TM Warthog
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #30
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I figured it out with a little help from google. Copy your YT link that you put between the YT tags and add ?start=XXX
XXX = position in seconds for example 8minutes * 60seconds + 32seconds = 532 seconds in your video?
Thank you!!! I knew there had to be a way.

Last edited by Ironhand; 11-14-2017 at 07:55 PM.