AIM-9 Tone - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Catah

Reputation power: 0
Catah is on a distinguished road
Default AIM-9 Tone

Ok, hopefully this is in the right part of the forum for this post. This is something that's been on my mind for a while. Originally, I always thought the AIM-9's growling tone was initially a low growl, which would increase frequency/pitch (but still the same growling tone) when locked to a heat signature. However once I started flying the A-10C and F-5 in DCS I noticed that it starts with the high freq/pitch growl as its idle tone and goes to a flat, much higher tone (not the growling tone) when locked.

So my question is: What is the sound of the AIM-9 in real life? Are all these sounds real and change based on which aircraft it is or which variant of the AIM-9 it is? Or is one of these sounds only existing within the sim world?
Catah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Bushmanni

Reputation power: 19
Bushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of light

There's two types of seekers used in AIM-9, AM modulated (older ones) and FM (AIM-9L/M) modulated. The AM modulated seeker will get louder as the target gets closer to the center of FOV and then finally go silent with perfect lock. FM modulated will get both louder and higher pitched as the target moves closer to the FOV center.

AM modulation:
https://youtu.be/zZyvY3n9GDY?t=232

FM modulation:
https://youtu.be/7XH0TQLOgfE
Bushmanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Catah

Reputation power: 0
Catah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmanni View Post
There's two types of seekers used in AIM-9, AM modulated (older ones) and FM (AIM-9L/M) modulated. The AM modulated seeker will get louder as the target gets closer to the center of FOV and then finally go silent with perfect lock. FM modulated will get both louder and higher pitched as the target moves closer to the FOV center.

AM modulation:
https://youtu.be/zZyvY3n9GDY?t=232

FM modulation:
https://youtu.be/7XH0TQLOgfE
Thanks! That answers my question perfectly. The videos are exactly of what I was thinking of.
Catah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Svend_Dellepude

Reputation power: 15
Svend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really nice

Wouldn't the AIM-9 L/M seeker then be both AM and FM modulated?

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Bushmanni

Reputation power: 19
Bushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of light

It is but I think it's for claritys sake dubbed as FM modulated.
Bushmanni is offline   Reply With Quote