Single Engine Restart procedure using APU - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
bunraku

Reputation power: 13
bunraku is on a distinguished road
Default Single Engine Restart procedure using APU

Hi

What exactly is the process to restart an engine using the APU? I've seen some videos where people using the Motor Switch and some don't.

Is it as simple as

1) Bleed Air off
2) Start APU
3) APU gen on after decent time interval
4) Move throttle for affected engine over Indent?

Thanks

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots!!
bunraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
mvsgas
Veteran

Reputation power: 157
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

See page 589 of the manual.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
bunraku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
See page 589 of the manual.
I have it and it's not working for me.
Even watching videos on youtube it's not working.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots!!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
mvsgas
Veteran

mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

Ok, I need as much detail as possible in order to try to duplicate this. So
- Why is the engine off to begin? Left or Right engine?
- What missions is this happening?
- What versions are you using? (1.5.7.11476.394 or 2.1.1.11317.285.) please write the entire number of your version.
- What is your load out, speed, altitude?
- What time of the year? Time of the day?
- Atmospheric details: static or dynamic weather, temp, etc.
Any other information you can provide so anyone can try to duplicate.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64

Last edited by mvsgas; 11-14-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
GurbY

Reputation power: 3
GurbY has a spectacular aura aboutGurbY has a spectacular aura aboutGurbY has a spectacular aura about

Switching bleed air into off position isn't necessary if you try the APU restart (don't know if it is counterproductive by the way..)
Just follow the steps and it works.
- move throttle to OFF
- make sure you're below 20K ft and engine temp (of malfunctioning engine) is cooling down
- increase speed (dive) until you're below 15Kft
- move APU to START
- move working engine throttle to MAX
- set engine operate switch to MOTOR (of malfunctioning engine)
- move throttle to IDLE
- move engine operate switch to NORM

Works for me all the time...
GurbY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
bunraku

Thanks for replies guys. At work at the moment so doing this from memory. Not wanting to do a windmill start so just low level.

I am doing basic training campaign mission 2 in 1.5(Latest version just patched)

1) I am moving 1 engine to off.
2) Working engine to full and auto pilot on straight and level.
3) Bleed Air off
4) APU On
5) About 30 seconds later APU Gen on
6) Engine Operate Switch to Motor
7) Inoperative engine to Idle

Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
mvsgas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunraku View Post
Thanks for replies guys. At work at the moment so doing this from memory. Not wanting to do a windmill start so just low level.

I am doing basic training campaign mission 2 in 1.5(Latest version just patched)

1) I am moving 1 engine to off.
2) Working engine to full and auto pilot on straight and level.
3) Bleed Air off
4) APU On
5) About 30 seconds later APU Gen on
6) Engine Operate Switch to Motor
7) Inoperative engine to Idle

Thanks
It would be best if you try it in DCS and right after, come here and post while is fresh in your memory. I do not have that campaign so, again it would be best if you crate a simple mission, just place an A-10C in the air at 5000 feet, 50 percent fuel and no weapons. Can you restart left engine by following the manual then? Try the right engine. If not, come back and tell us the details.

I say this because I have no problem starting the aircraft as stated in the manual. Both engine start without issue.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Axelerator

Reputation power: 6
Axelerator has a spectacular aura aboutAxelerator has a spectacular aura aboutAxelerator has a spectacular aura aboutAxelerator has a spectacular aura about

The APU is designed to operate below 15k ft and engine APU restart should be performed below 10k ft.
Turn on the APU and APU generator --> engine operate switch to motor --> make sure itt is below 150°C then push throttle to idle --> engine operate switch to normal --> engine restarts itself.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
Frederf
Veteran

Reputation power: 38
Frederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Frederf

I find difficulty with the supplied -1 or DCS procedure for single engine air start via APU.

The left engine is turned off by the lever in the off position and reduces eventually to 10.5% RPM and 50C ITT. The APU is stabilized at 100% RPM and normal EGT. Airspeed at 6,000' is 240-250 knots level. That's all normal.

However when the left engine operate switch is placed into motor the ENG START CYCLE caution illumiantes. Wtf? That shouldn't be. The cycle should only initiate when the lever is moved from off to near idle.

The RPM is 27% with right engine idle and 32% with right engine max as expected, the APU alone not providing the same quantity of bleed air energy as the combined effort.

If one does the same procedure omitting the motoring step the engine starts readily without the ENGINE START CYCLE caution illuminating while the lever is still in the off position. This happens even at 20,700'. Even without the APU a cross bleed engine start was accomplished with right engine max, level (180 IAS) at 20,700'!

Regardless of APU state, other engine idle or max, I get the engine cycle start with the affected engine lever off when I motor.

For those that have the procedure working properly, can you please test the following:

1. Left engine lever off
2. Left engine operate switch motor
3. Is ENGINE START CYCLE caution light on or off?
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
bunraku

I am sorted guys. Was all down to IGN Motor switch timing.

Thank you all.