L-39 and Warthog throttle - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
L-39beeratros

Reputation power: 0
L-39beeratros is on a distinguished road
Default L-39 and Warthog throttle

Hello, I recently got my Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and I'm having a hard time setting up buttons for L-39 actions.
For example: the throttle has great toggle for air brakes, which works just as in real L-39 (one way spring loaded, other way fixed, middle position retracted) but I'm unable to map the middle position for retracting (while trying to assing the middle position DCS options don't register anything), and it's the same with some other switches - for example the 2 switches in bottom left corner of throttle body would serve nicely as pitot heat switches, however again I'm only able to map 1 position to action, not the other one.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice!
L-39beeratros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Frederf
Veteran

Reputation power: 38
Frederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Frederf

Without TARGET the device only outputs a button on the up-down positions, nothing for middle. It's the same for all the other switches, if it has N positions then it has N-1 button numbers assigned to it.

The DCS A-10C has special control lua definitions that have to be held down to keep the switch on. If the button press stops then it enacts the other switch position. The L-39 probably doesn't have that already but it should be able to be written by some user.

The other option is a TARGET profile which generates some bindable output on middle flap position.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
L-39beeratros

Thanks, looks like I'll have to see what's that TARGET thing about
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 9
feefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nicefeefifofum is just really nice

Look in the input/output forum for instructions on setting up custom .lua profiles for your Warthog. I'd recommend steering clear of TARGET, as you'll be forced to reload your profile every time you change aircraft.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
L-39beeratros

Thanks but I already fought my battle with TARGET yesterday and finally won - everything mapped nicely as I hoped it would be. Only disadvantage is that I have to run TARGET software before I start DCS.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Morpheus

Reputation power: 7
Morpheus will become famous soon enoughMorpheus will become famous soon enough

You can start TARGET after DCS and change profile "in game" when you change plane. Only problem is with Teamspeak, you have to launch TS after TARGET profile and live TS before changing profile
Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
Frederf
Veteran

Frederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to all

Not always before! DCS happily discovers joysticks plugged in during runtime.

I was curious if the LUA edit made it possible and surprisingly it works without any visible sideeffects.

Code:
-- Flaps
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 1,    value_up = 4,    name = _('Flaps Flight Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 2,    value_up = 5,    name = _('Flaps TakeOff Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 3,    value_up = 6,    name = _('Flaps Landing Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 1,    value_up = 2,    name = _('Flaps Up (Hold)'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 3,    value_up = 2,    name = _('Flaps Down (Hold)'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
The last two lines are added to the appropriate controller .lua in \DCS\Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Input\L-39C\joystick. In this case it was Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua as it matches the name of the controller. If there was no such file then the edit would go into default.lua.

The state on up button press are 1, 2 on release. The states 1 and 2 are to press the top and middle button respectively. The second command sets state 3 on press (buttom button) and 2 on release (middle button).

After this edit is accomplished all that is left is to start DCS (without TARGET running) and assign the buttons 22 & 23 to the new commands in the 'Flight Control' section. Now all three buttons are accessed logically by the output of these two buttons naturally using the Thrustmaster controller without TARGET.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Morpheus

Reputation power: 7
Morpheus will become famous soon enoughMorpheus will become famous soon enough

Thans for this, I think update "erase" these lines no ?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
Frederf
Veteran

Possibly
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
EinsteinEP

Reputation power: 23
EinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of lightEinsteinEP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Thans for this, I think update "erase" these lines no ?
Yes they can.