Slaw Device RX Viper V2 Rudder Pedals

Aaaaand the best just keeps getting better. PS Slaw, my missus said to tell you "damn you". Looks like Slaw set number 3 is coming....

Hey Superjoe - what are those controller units you have in front of your throttle and the one on your right hand side? Color me interested, did you make these yourself or buy them?

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Are these still available for sale? I'm looking for new rudder pedals and noticed these mentioned in a review but can't find a real website for them online.

You email Slaw directly with what you want and he'll send you payment instructions. Waiting list was about four months, if I remember right. He's making this stuff from scratch in a machine shop, it's not industrial scale. No website.

They're the best that can be had, no question. Worth the wait and the price.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Thank you all for the replies. I got in touch with my over email and decided to go ahead with the Thrustmaster TRP pedals because of the wait times. If they arrive and they're too big. or whatever, then I'll consider slaw or crosswind/ace2. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

For me it was worth the wait. It is so well constructed. I am seriously impressed by the quality. I don’t think I will ever need to buy another set of pedals again. I didn’t like the quality of the TM pedals. They seemed like cheap pot metal.

They feel so realistic, and the heft to move them I love. It keeps me from over controlling the yaw.

????

• 1 month later...

It took several months with the global pandemic going on, but I he and I did stay in communication during that timeframe. The gentleman would not take payment prior to having them ready. I finally receive confirmation they were finished, I paid him via PayPal and the rudders shipped out immediately. They arrived within a week. I will say that they are absolutely fabulous, the workmanship is incredible!

Okay, for those who also own a set... I simply plugged them in to the computer and DCS automatically had them mapped to my controls; at least the left and right rudder. The toe breaks however are not, almost certain that I need to bind them to my controls. At least I hope that is all.

I type in 'Toe Break' in my action 'search' in hopes of narrowing down the location, but find nothing. Anyone know the DCS Action name for 'Toe Breaks' and/or where to bind?

Thank you Aurelius,

So last evening I found the 'wheel-break' in the axis commands, but was unable to bind the action to the rudder pedals. The rudder works, DCS recognizes a press on the left rudder and then right rudder. Just doesn't see the toe-breaks.

Kinda frustrating.

Good afternoon,

To begin, thank you for your help Aurelius.

I downloaded the Slaw Device calibration program, it does reflect that the rudder pedals and the toe breaks are present (it sees them). I assume that what I have done to calibrate these is also accurate, however there is no instruction or detail on the correct procedure to calibrate. Perhaps you could help me with this?

I guess it could also be that I am just too naive to understand how 'breaks' work on an airplane and my sim is working exactly as it is supposed to. My assumption is that if you start the aircraft moving forward at taxi speed, and you apply the rudder pedal, that it would turn the plane in that direction; and IT DOES. My assumption also is that if you were then to press down on both of the toe breaks, that it would stop the airplane from its taxi speed; IT DOESN'T. Is it simply that I do not understand how to stop the aircraft with the breaks?

I am brand new, but can actually land the F/A-18 on an airport field; I honestly think I am 100% at getting it onto the ground but have only attempted this six or seven times. On landing, I now purposely touch down at the extreme end of the runway, maybe even a few hundred feet before it, pull the throttle to idle, and steer it as straight as possible down the runway. It absolutely will slow down, but only to 80 to 90-kts if I'm lucky. If I stand on the toe breaks, it does nothing, it continues to travel at high speed.

When I get to the end of an 8,000’ long strip, I go ahead and steer it the best I can around objects, trees and a few air defense weapons. At those speeds I end up ¾-mile or so out through the grass at the end there until it slows enough that I can turn it around without tipping over. I then throttle it back up, drive it at slow speed back through the grass the ¾-mile to the airfield and find me a neat-o little parking spot in front of a hanger. But of course, it doesn’t stop with the toe breaks even at a very slow roll, so at that point I end up parking it in the grass next to the hanger; puff up and act like I am an absolute big-dawg of the fighter pilot variety! Gig Em!

I am brand new, but this just doesn’t seem to be the textbook way to land and park ;)

Victory...

In that Slaw Device calibration program, there are radio buttons labeled 'Invert' that can be clicked; you click the 'invert' box for left break left, then 'start calibration', press down on the left toe-break and release, 'end calibration' and then 'Save'. Rinse and repeat for the right toe-break.

No idea what the term 'invert' means in this regards, but you apparently need to click that. But not clicked on the left rudder and right rudder, just on the breaks. Also, need to be sure to 'Save' after the 'end calibration' or else 8-mins later when you are back in the cockpit in DCS you will still be wondering why you can't stop!

Thank you Aurelius,

I did see that 'dead zone' as well, and I do have some values assigned to them, but I can't recall what they are right off the top of my head. Seems as if they are Beginning Value, Center Value and End Value or something like that and very small numbers like '1'. I don't know if that is on a range of 1 to 100, or possibly 1 to 5, but it seems as if it were pretty low in comparison to the dead zones I have established on Track IR. What are the numerical values you have installed as I didn't change anything from what was default, so may be way off?

Appreciate it!

• 3 months later...

Jumped off the deep end and couldn't resist when told they were available. Mostly happy with the T-rudders but mostly want to remove another cable between the PC and chair as well with toe breaks as an option freeing up another button on the throttle. 

Damper should arrive today.... and got the shipping notification from Slaw. Can't wait! 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2 ore fa, Uxi ha scritto:

Jumped off the deep end and couldn't resist when told they were available. Mostly happy with the T-rudders but mostly want to remove another cable between the PC and chair as well with toe breaks as an option freeing up another button on the throttle. 

Damper should arrive today.... and got the shipping notification from Slaw. Can't wait! 

Did you buy the pedals from Vipers? I currently have the VKB T-Rudders, but I pre-ordered the Slaw pedals 1 month ago. No news yet. How long ago did you place your order?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Direct from Slaw. Was put on waiting list 12/31. Told they were ready 2/19 and paid same day.  Got DHL tracking today 2/23. ETA 3/1. Delivered 2/25 (amazing fast!).  Gorgeous and perfectly constructed.  I was impressed with how solid the T-rudders were and these blow them away. Went together very easy per the video and added a matching silver and black damper. 

Unfortunately even though they're quite heavy (in a solid good way), they MUST secured to use them since even modest deflection (at least with the damper) meant either they shifted or my chair rolled or both.  I bought a 2 ft x 4 ft melamine board from Home Depot, cut a couple wheel holes for my chair's casters and then bolted the pedals to it and voila, butter. 

Edited by Uxi
  • Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 5 months later...

Just ordered me a set of the Viper RX2 and hopefully they get shipped..and apparently I got the last one for this batch. Now I can only hope I get them in the next month or so................

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

• 1 month later...

Is anybody using these for helicopters?

I am hoping it will be fine for the Apache when it comes out. I can see Slaw is working on a new type of pedals that works in a perpendicular fashion so I wonder if I pre-ordered the wrong pedals... I bought a damper and hope with this + setting a looser centering it will work fine. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

Im using them for helis and they are just fine. I have a steering damper installed on mine now and makes flying the russian birds a little bit easier but they take some getting used to...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

24 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Im using them for helis and they are just fine. I have a steering damper installed on mine now and makes flying the russian birds a little bit easier but they take some getting used to...

Thank you for the info.

That's bit of a worry. I thought they would be good for helos if the centering is reduced/removed + a damper. Maybe the TM TPR is better then... I must admit I find the look of TM TPR to be very ugly... 😞 while the slaw device is a piece of art 🙂 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

I only say getting used to because I came over from crosswinds where you put your feet on the pedal. These pedals you keep your feet on the ground, so they operate like you normally would in a helicopter minus toe brakes. The TM TPR pedals would be the same as these but they take it a bit further as I think both pedals have dampers? Never tried them before so cant really comment on them...but these slaws are very nice indeed!

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

Thank you. How do you find the Slaw compared to the MFGs? Worth the upgrade?

15 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I only say getting used to because I came over from crosswinds where you put your feet on the pedal. These pedals you keep your feet on the ground, so they operate like you normally would in a helicopter minus toe brakes. The TM TPR pedals would be the same as these but they take it a bit further as I think both pedals have dampers? Never tried them before so cant really comment on them...but these slaws are very nice indeed!

Yes and no. You have better toe brake action with the slaw pedals, the design is solid as a rock and as smooth as silk when it comes to flying. But the crosswinds was REALLY close already. Truth be told, Ive always wanted a set of slaws since Ive heard about them, but settled for crosswinds in 2014 when I first got them and dont regret it. Not really worth the double price for them, but worth it if you consider its full metal construction, asthetics and ease of use (its plug and play immediately; no calibrating whatsoever),it makes up a considerable amount of the shame brought on. If I was married, my wife would have choked me and then divorced me for being stupid.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 2

My wallpaper and skins

On 9/11/2021 at 9:53 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

Yes and no. You have better toe brake action with the slaw pedals, the design is solid as a rock and as smooth as silk when it comes to flying. But the crosswinds was REALLY close already. Truth be told, Ive always wanted a set of slaws since Ive heard about them, but settled for crosswinds in 2014 when I first got them and dont regret it. Not really worth the double price for them, but worth it if you consider its full metal construction, asthetics and ease of use (its plug and play immediately; no calibrating whatsoever),it makes up a considerable amount of the shame brought on. If I was married, my wife would have choked me and then divorced me for being stupid.

Have old Slaw BF109s, new Slaw Viper V2s and MFG crosswinds.  

wife just shakes her head much like I do when she comes home with a new $180 hair color 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I got my slaw pedals a few days ago. Very cool. I need to fasten them to a board or something so they don't move. Pushing the pedals moves them backwards while braking makes them kind of tilt forward. I tried to use velcro but it isn't strong enough. 

Now, I installed a damper but the pedals won't recenter by themselves any longer. I'm not sure if it's because the damper I bought is bad and the pressure even on the lowest setting is pretty tough to make it move. Any ideas? Do I need to strengthen the centre spring? 

ps: I haven't told my wife how much they cost... 😉 

• Like 1

Yup. They mustc be bolted down to something.  I bought a 2 ft x 4 ft melamine board from Home Depot, cut a couple wheel holes for my chair's casters and then bolted the pedals to it with small M5 bolts and wingnuts I already had.

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist: