HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

I got this Update email from Connection today:

We know you are eager to jump into a next-generation VR experience with the incredible HP Reverb G2. While HP has not yet announced an official release date, we wanted to let you know the headsets will ship this fall! We’ll provide another email update as soon as we confirm the release date.

Please keep in mind that orders will most likely ship over a period of several weeks following the release date, due to high demand and ongoing constraints related to COVID-19. We apologize for the wait, and we understand how excited you are to get your hands on this new technology in person. If you have any technical questions related to the HP Reverb G2, you can reach out to the HP Support Team at 1.800.334.5144.

We’ll be in touch soon!

-The Connection Team

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I got this Update email from Connection today:

Got the same update from Connection today. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Got the same update from Connection today. :D

When I saw the "Update on Your HP Reverb G2 Pre-order" subject line, my heart skipped a beat. LOL.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

When I saw the "Update on Your HP Reverb G2 Pre-order" subject line, my heart skipped a beat. LOL.

Heh. I almost deleted mine without reading it because I saw the "Co--" in the sender line and just figured it was my daily spam e-mail from Corel. :D

I was definitely glad to have that confirmation that my order is still valid. I think when I ordered mine, I must have set up an account with Connection after the fact, because when I log in to my account with them, it shows no orders associated with it. But, I can still click the order number link in the e-mail they sent me originally and it takes me right to it. Strange. But I guess I don't have to worry about it having gotten lost somehow.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The latest post from system active re the G2

'We are still waiting for HP to officially announce the release date of the HP Reverb G2. We have been told the announcement is imminent. We will of course update you immediately.

Our full allocation of Reverb G2s for the first release has now sold out. So you are one of the lucky ones :)

For your peace of mind I'd like to bring your attention to the HP 3 year Next Business Day Exchange VR Headset Service for HP Reverb G2 - priced £72.

Should your headset develop problems in the next 3 years HP will advance exchange it to be delivered the next business day. Please follow this link to our website where you can see the full details and buy this extra cover. HP Reverb G2 Carepack

If you have any other questions or wish to contact us please email reverb@systemactive.com

The SystemActive team'

The 3 year next day replacement for £72 sounds not a bad deal given that VR sets are not always reliable. Not sure what the normal guarantee is. What are others thoughts on this.

Same email to me, guess we are all "lucky ones!" I'm not going to bother with £72, if it has a fault it will be covered I just may have to wait between sending mine and getting another. As I'm not running a business using the G2 its not that much of a big deal.... Don't want to cut into that steal of a price I paid back in July!!!

I know. When I got the email - I felt the same thing when I saw the subject line. I thought this was going to be my lucky day!

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Just had this email

Just a very quick note to let you know we are still waiting for HP to make the official announcement about the exact release date. We are not aware of any problems and expect HP to make the announcement next week.

Please accept our apologies for the delay and the uncertainty surrounding the new date. Thank you for your patience.

If you have any other questions or wish to contact us please email reverb@systemactive.com

The SystemActive team

Nothing is easy on the leading edge of technology mate.

Prepare for disappointment and absolute amazement at the same time.

I will hold the line steady with my 2080ti until the reviews come in specific to DCS.

I have a feeling in my waters that something big is coming down the pipe with the G2 software wise.

Yeah, I agree with you. If I had a 1080 Ti or older I would be upgrading to something this year for sure. But already having a 2080 Ti which I am fundamentally quite happy with so far I've been crunching the numbers and looking at early reviews. My conclusion is that - even though I can afford it - the 3080 is a nice upgrade, but not great value at £800-850 including the cost of a water block. And 10GB is a step backwards. And I am not convinced that £750 extra for a 3090 is worth it. I am also not impressed by the heat generation of these cards. Heat = noise and also uncomfortable rooms during the summer. Especially so wearing VR kit. So my plan is to wait for the G2, use it initially with my 2080 Ti and be happy. Only then if I am crying out for more GPU performance will I consider one of the upgrade options.

By the time I have assessed the G2 paired with the 2080 Ti we should also know about the performance of the 6900 XT and Nvidia should have announced their 20GB 3080. Waiting is the smart play right now for 2080 Ti owners. I might even sit this cycle out.

Likewise Zen 3 should be very, very good with IPC gains and clock speed gains (base and sustained turbo). But I don't fancy investing in the last of the AM4 chips ahead of an architecture change to DDR5 and all the other bells and whistles from Xen 3's successor. Again, my Haswell is reaching 4.8 GHz and getting the job done for peanuts, and it is a fully depreciated sunk cost anyways.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here regarding the delivery Email.

Has anyone in the UK or globally, been offered the 3 year warranty package guaranteeing the sending out of a new headset before you send your old headset back (broken or just not right)?

If you did receive such an email.... did you decide to take the additional cover?

I hate these extended warranty things but this is the first time I have bought something without reading "proper" user reviews first.

I am somewhat tempted for the first time in my life, without doubt the G2 will be upgraded well before 3 years is up!

Should I just rely on good old European consumer rights?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Yeah, I agree with you. If I had a 1080 Ti or older I would be upgrading to something this year for sure. But already having a 2080 Ti which I am fundamentally quite happy with so far I've been crunching the numbers and looking at early reviews. My conclusion is that - even though I can afford it - the 3080 is a nice upgrade, but not great value at £800-850 including the cost of a water block. And 10GB is a step backwards. And I am not convinced that £750 extra for a 3090 is worth it. I am also not impressed by the heat generation of these cards. Heat = noise and also uncomfortable rooms during the summer. Especially so wearing VR kit. So my plan is to wait for the G2, use it initially with my 2080 Ti and be happy. Only then if I am crying out for more GPU performance will I consider one of the upgrade options.

By the time I have assessed the G2 paired with the 2080 Ti we should also know about the performance of the 6900 XT and Nvidia should have announced their 20GB 3080. Waiting is the smart play right now for 2080 Ti owners. I might even sit this cycle out.

Likewise Zen 3 should be very, very good with IPC gains and clock speed gains (base and sustained turbo). But I don't fancy investing in the last of the AM4 chips ahead of an architecture change to DDR5 and all the other bells and whistles from Xen 3's successor. Again, my Haswell is reaching 4.8 GHz and getting the job done for peanuts, and it is a fully depreciated sunk cost anyways.

Yeah I think this is the way to go for now.

I am pretty sure the G2 will run exactly like the G1 when it comes to FPS, so I have no problems with this.

I would need to see at least a 5 - 8 fps gain in DCS with the 30XX cards before I start to get restless.

10 fps gain would get my attention pretty quick mind.... A 10 fps gain would be superb with my current graphics settings and system settings. It would give me shadows on Caucuses, The Straights of, and Nevada. the other maps will be a gain in performance with no visual gain.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

100% concur. I'm going to wait this out and see what else comes up on the horizon. I'm very happy with my 2080ti so far. If for some reason the G2 craps all over it and the GPU becomes the bottleneck, I'll reassess at that point.

Like an alignment of the planets.

Something is around the corner and it is a US driven thing, something that is in small comments from big players.

I have a funny feeling in my waters.

Probably will make no difference in DCS though.

Hey chaps,

I have a G2 on preorder and I am leaning towards upgrading my 2060 SUPER to a 3080, I am also debating about whether or not to upgrade my CPU from a i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz?

I know that 4K is normally driven by the GPU but would I get any advantage in DCS getting a i5 10600K/R5 or i7 10700k/R7?

From what I can tell the R7/i7 would help with the minimum FPS but that is really the only benefit.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I am also debating about whether or not to upgrade my CPU from a i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz?

Mate I just upgraded from an i7-6700K@4.2 to an i7-10700K@4.7 (not overlocked it yet) and all I can say is ... do it.

It made a noticeable difference to DCS in VR (with Rift S, Reverb G2 is on the way), and rather significant difference to F2020.

RTX 3080 will round it out nicely.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Upgrade? Yes, if you can easily afford it.

*** BUT ***

You are literally 2 weeks away from the announcement of Zen 3. Sure... the bots will be rebooted for action, but I would wait myself. I know you can always make this argument... but 2 weeks...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mate I just upgraded from an i7-6700K@4.2 to an i7-10700K@4.7 (not overlocked it yet) and all I can say is ... do it.

It made a noticeable difference to DCS in VR (with Rift S, Reverb G2 is on the way), and rather significant difference to F2020.

RTX 3080 will round it out nicely.

That is what I wanted to hear :thumbup:

Upgrade? Yes, if you can easily afford it.

*** BUT ***

You are literally 2 weeks away from the announcement of Zen 3. Sure... the bots will be rebooted for action, but I would wait myself. I know you can always make this argument... but 2 weeks...

Oh yes I will definitely wait, even if I don't go for the Zen 3 it might push the prices of the i7 down.

I am also collecting all the bits and pieces for my first watercooled build.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I am betting on the Zen 3 being the most cost-effective upgrade path for me and in the not too distant future, maybe flight sims will really start taking advantage of multi-core cpus, which will only make AMD's cpus an even better choice.

But AMD has disappointed me for so many years, that it won't surprise me if Zen 3 and Big Navi fall significantly short of my hopeful expectations. In which case, Intel / 3080 gpu here I come!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am betting on the Zen 3 being the most cost-effective upgrade path for me and in the not too distant future, maybe flight sims will really start taking advantage of multi-core cpus, which will only make AMD's cpus an even better choice.

But AMD has disappointed me for so many years, that it won't surprise me if Zen 3 and Big Navi fall significantly short of my hopeful expectations. In which case, Intel / 3080 gpu here I come!

Hope in one hand. You know what in the other.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Devices will begin shipping to preorder resellers the second half of October, and we expect units to begin reaching your hands the beginning of November.

o Some of the loudest feedback has been about brightness. Key to this discussion is the topic of backlight persistence, which is a measure of what % of each frame the backlight is turned on for. The brightness for a set pair of optics comes down to how long your backlight persistence is, and how bright you can drive your panel during that time.

o Additionally the lower your persistence, the less display smear you get when you move your head.

o The choice came down to longer persistence and a brighter image, or lower persistence and a dimmer image. We did not like this choice and went back to the drawing board to improve how bright we can drive the backlight.

o The tradeoff is increased power draw; the device can no longer draw enough power over USB-C alone. Reverb G2 will require the included power adapter to be plugged in to the wall to function, and in return you get the best visual experience we can deliver.

Saw this somewhere so sharing this information..

So when lucky you get it early November.

Edited by Slecht

I like the new power plug requirement.

+1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Looks like I have a better chance getting this thing in December than I do getting one of the Nvidia GPU's.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz