F-18 or F-14? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #31
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaiib View Post
If HB can come that close to hitting the NATOPS numbers, then the F-14 FM is light years ahead of the F-18 FM.
130 vs 145 is close? I'm designing FMs for other sims since decades and any greater deviation than 3kts, especially at such low speeds, is not even remotely acceptable.
That said, Heatblur is already aware of this issue.
As soon as they fix this bug, I'll buy it.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #32
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
130 vs 145 is close? I'm designing FMs for other sims since decades and any greater deviation than 3kts, especially at such low speeds, is not even remotely acceptable.
That said, Heatblur is already aware of this issue.
As soon as they fix this bug, I'll buy it.
Buy it? You talk as if you already have it in the other thread...

Once again the issues with the F-14 FM are small, and they are quickly being resolved as they are found (I reported several myself). This is a lot more than what can be said about many other modules in this sim.

Overall the F-14 has by far the most realistic FM in DCS IMHO, and the devs are fantastic when it comes to responding to feedback.

Last edited by Hummingbird; 07-11-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #33
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Buy it? You talk as if you already have it in the other thread
?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #34
dawgie79

Seems I'm one of the few who doesn't really like the F-14, just not my cup of tea. Don't agree with that it's hard to fly either by the way. Just different. But it's more the memory of Top Gun rather than liking the plane itself.

So I would opt for the F/A-18. Which is great. I like modern. And I find it rather childish that it's classified as a toy by some on this forum. That's BS. It's just a matter of preference.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #35
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...78&postcount=6

Gives the impression that you already own the module.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #36
Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgie79 View Post
Seems I'm one of the few who doesn't really like the F-14, just not my cup of tea. Don't agree with that it's hard to fly either by the way. Just different. But it's more the memory of Top Gun rather than liking the plane itself.

So I would opt for the F/A-18. Which is great. I like modern. And I find it rather childish that it's classified as a toy by some on this forum. That's BS. It's just a matter of preference.
Ditto
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:19 AM   #37
Deano87

I think the “Toy” comparisons for the F-18 have mainly come about because that was the general feeling of real F-14 pilots/ground crew about it, and we do have a couple of those here. They are of course absolutely right . I joke, I joke. There is always some banter between different aircraft crews and their jet is always the best.

Honestly though the two aircraft are so dissimilar in the way they fly, their technology level and the way they go about things that I don’t think you can or should really compare them. The clear answer is you need both. I have a blast flying the Tomcat, specially with a friend as talking ballast in the back but I’m probably more combat effective in the Hornet but you’d hope so as it’s a much more modern jet. I’d say they are both must haves.

With all of the above in mind, I think we can all agree that the F-16 is better than both of them.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #38
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Gives the impression that you already own the module.
Because I'm asking a question about technical details? Seriously?

@dawgie79
A personal preference and/or connection is a great thing, like e.g. Top Gun in DCS.
The F-14 was the most advanced and most impressive plane when I was young.
Once the Heatblur flies as it should and knowing that I can silence the ballast in the back, I will fly it.

A few month ago I've seen an F/A-18 with the updated software perform at an airshow and it was incredible impressive to watch, the high AoA maneuvering unbelieveable.
Unfortunately it doesn't look even remotely impressive on a video.
If I would have to make the choice what to fly IRL the F/A-18 would be a no brainer.
Both are meant to be the best killing machines, nothing else and as a pilot I would want to fly the best airplane with the lowest workload and (almost) carefree handling qualities.
I wouldn't care at all if it handles/feels lifeless like a videogame or like a 'real' airplane.

And last but not least I fully agree with Deano87 that the F-16 beats both....in DCS that is....except for the F-5. Still the most enjoyable plane for me in DCS and since the F-16 is FBW, it can't be beaten

Last edited by bbrz; 07-12-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #39
Cytarabine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgie79 View Post

Nah I tend to agree. I enjoy the the Tomcat, but it is largely Topgun induced nostalgia and those massive Phoenix missiles that make me fly it. If I could only have one module now it would be the Hornet. Fortunately I can have more than one so when I need my early 80’s Topgun fix I can jump in the Tomcat, but when playing a full mission give me a Hornet any day of the week.
Cytarabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 AM   #40
WindyTX

F14 is great but the hard work is done in the back which makes it easy in the front with Jester at least until you get to the dogfight part or land it on the ship. If you have someone to fly with then the 14 can be way more rewarding than probably any other module but if you are on your own 90% of the time then get the F18c.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is online now   Reply With Quote