Su-27 / Su-33: No Radar when inverted below 1500m - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
SnapRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPixxel View Post
Interresting find SnapRoll.

Maybe this is intended to model this behaviour. But it just shuts off the radar no matter what the target aspect is. He can be hot and 5 km in front of you, and your radar will lose lock. According to that F-15 manual it would only affect lock on a a cold bandit.

I have not tested it and yes, I totally agree.
SnapRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
Ironhand
Veteran

In my test the target was hot not cold.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
GGTharos
Veteran

That information comes from the (RL, non-ED) flanker manual. This isn't exactly 'news' for a cassegrain radar, or any radar that requires guard horn. The specifics of the implementation could be in question though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknetinium View Post
I hope we are not making Su-27 after F-15s manual, Is this somewhere to find in Su-27?

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #14
BlackPixxel

A better and still simple approximation would be to reduce the sensitivity a bit just as it gets reduced when you get lower than 1500m.
BlackPixxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
Teknetinium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
That information comes from the (RL, non-ED) flanker manual. This isn't exactly 'news' for a cassegrain radar, or any radar that requires guard horn. The specifics of the implementation could be in question though.
It would not lose lock or just turn the radar off, It would have harder to keep lock or would not keep it as well passed 120 degrees at low alt.

51st Bisons Discord
Teknetinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #16
GGTharos
Veteran

We'll, you have a backup for this exact reason

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #17
Teknetinium

Do you have a back up that you loosing lock, if so, plz let me see. Where did ED get 1500m from?

51st Bisons Discord

Last edited by Teknetinium; 07-12-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #18
Weta43
Veteran

My memory from reading Overscan's guide to Russian Radars is that this doesn't sound too dissimilar to the limitations described there, and that there were quite a few limitations on the Su-27 (& MiG-29) radar operation that would disgruntle a few players if E.D. were ever to do a full fidelity module of the Su-27S.

Still - Having your capabilities downgraded in the name of realism is easier to swallow when the realism is applied even-handedly...

I'd be applauding E.D.'s implementing the limitation - if they weren't adding imaginary weapons and pylons to the Ka-50 at the same time...
Old 07-12-2019, 01:26 AM   #19
Teknetinium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
My memory from reading Overscan's guide to Russian Radars is that this doesn't sound too dissimilar to the limitations described there, and that there were quite a few limitations on the Su-27 (& MiG-29) radar operation that would disgruntle a few players if E.D. were ever to do a full fidelity module of the Su-27S.

Still - Having your capabilities downgraded in the name of realism is easier to swallow when the realism is applied even-handedly...

I'd be applauding E.D.'s implementing the limitation - if they weren't adding imaginary weapons and pylons to the Ka-50 at the same time...
Some other capabilities would get implemented that would make the flanker 2 time better not weaker. A lot of people would not disgruntle to fly it just for that reason.

51st Bisons Discord
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #20
GGTharos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknetinium View Post
Do you have a back up that you loosing lock, if so, plz let me see. Where did ED get 1500m from?
Do you have a back up for not losing it? The documentation is more against your position than not.

Like I said, you already have a back up for this, so use it. The IRST was added exactly for these situations, not for 'sneak attacks'.
It's a back up for the crappy radar. In RL.
Later versions of the flanker got a much improved radar both on the computing power side and the antenna (planar array vs cassegrain) ... But that's not the model you have.