Struggling with VR Settings - Valve Index

Tempest7

I've flown about 16 or more hours with the latest stable and probably won't go back to the beta unless I hear of dramatic changes to clarity. I can see everything with smooth framerates unless on a heavily populated server. Even then, once I'm off the ground I'm still mostly maintaining 45FPS. While I'm all for helping with making SteamVR better, if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I've flown about 16 or more hours with the latest stable and probably won't go back to the beta unless I hear of dramatic changes to clarity. I can see everything with smooth framerates unless on a heavily populated server. Even then, once I'm off the ground I'm still mostly maintaining 45FPS. While I'm all for helping with making SteamVR better, if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol.

Pretty sure that SteamVR release and beta are the same for the last few days.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I read the intention is to make present steamVR beta the public released version. Perhaps they have pushed it out.

On my steamVR beta settings, there are three options I can choose.

a. Non beta version

b. Beta version

c. lkg released version

For me b & c makes my VR in dcs a drag. Lots of micro jittery with steamVR SS and Global setting at recommended value. Dcs set PD at 1.0

The non beta version is relatively smooth and provides better experience in cockpit.

Surprisingly, the Tomcat cockpit is just great in clarity.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The latest stable SteamVR 1.7 (released Sept 10) is supposedly the exact same as the latest SteamVR beta 1.7.15 (released Sept 6) which was the final release candidate for the stable version.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I read the intention is to make present steamVR beta the public released version. Perhaps they have pushed it out.

On my steamVR beta settings, there are three options I can choose.

a. Non beta version

b. Beta version

c. lkg released version

For me b & c makes my VR in dcs a drag. Lots of micro jittery with steamVR SS and Global setting at recommended value. Dcs set PD at 1.0

The non beta version is relatively smooth and provides better experience in cockpit.

Surprisingly, the Tomcat cockpit is just great in clarity.

As I said above, the beta version is the exact same as the non beta version!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Whilst more cpu cycles sounds right, I get no improvement at all going from 3.9 to 4.4ghz. NOTHING. Exact same event and view. If anything there seems a slight reduction in average fps at the higher setting and thats repeatable. Makes no sense. This was 2D to make the comparisons easier.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Whilst more cpu cycles sounds right, I get no improvement at all going from 3.9 to 4.4ghz. NOTHING. Exact same event and view. If anything there seems a slight reduction in average fps at the higher setting and thats repeatable. Makes no sense. This was 2D to make the comparisons easier.
Though VR requires more CPU, so you may be GPU limited in 2D, which would explain the lack of improvement?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Pretty sure that SteamVR release and beta are the same for the last few days.

They are.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

They are.

Not any more!

Not any more!

I thought I saw something come out yesterday but it wasn't for the stable version which I'm now using. Anything new in the new one worth testing?????

Inquiring minds want to know lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought I saw something come out yesterday but it wasn't for the stable version which I'm now using. Anything new in the new one worth testing?????

Inquiring minds want to know lol.

Features added for 1.8.1 beta version were things related to base station for Index Hmd.

Have not noticed any significant improvements for me.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Great new feature added to 1.8.2 last night so that we don't need a controller to access the SteamVR overlay etc.

However, I'm having some problems. For example, I can't see how to exit that mode. Used to be a click on and a cick off, but, obviously, that doesn't work now. Long press? Has anyone worked that out?

Also, my desktop cursor is uncontrollable after taking off the HMD. Have to go into TM and close down SteamVR before it comes back to normal.

Great new feature added to 1.8.2 last night so that we don't need a controller to access the SteamVR overlay etc.

However, I'm having some problems. For example, I can't see how to exit that mode. Used to be a click on and a cick off, but, obviously, that doesn't work now. Long press? Has anyone worked that out?

Also, my desktop cursor is uncontrollable after taking off the HMD. Have to go into TM and close down SteamVR before it comes back to normal.

Supmua answered on another post but look outside the overlay when pressing the button. It works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Features added for 1.8.1 beta version were things related to base station for Index Hmd.

Have not noticed any significant improvements for me.

I switched to the beta and along with no longer needing controllers to operate the camera or overlay, the image seems clearer with my same setting and no stuttering.... yet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS is CPU clockspeed/GHz dependent. You really want to be at or above 5.0Ghz. AMD's aren't going to do that.

With the new BIOS updates for Ryzen the 3800/3900X chips are as fast as, if not faster than the 9900K in single core. So that's wrong in terms of real world performance later. Before you reply I'm saying that Ryzen 4.6 GHz equals Intels 5.0/1/2 GHz because it's a different architecture. It's roughly the same speed.

Edited by Der Hirte

Supmua answered on another post but look outside the overlay when pressing the button. It works.

With last night's 1.8.3 update, all issues resolved.

1) fpsVR and other overlays all OK

2) exit from Steam overlays by holding down the Index button just like controllers and selecting cancel. Double pressing while looking away also works, but it brings up the camera image as well, and

3) the bouncing dektop cursor when SteamVr was loaded issue has gone to.

I continue to be impressed by how quickly these issues are resolved in SteamVR.

Edited by imacken

With the new BIOS updates for Ryzen the 3800/3900X chips are as fast as, if not faster than the 9900K in single core. So that's wrong in terms of real world performance later. Before you reply I'm saying that Ryzen 4.6 GHz equals Intels 5.0/1/2 GHz because it's a different architecture. It's roughly the same speed.

Where are the benchmarks for DCS? Has anyone posted them or started a thread I can go look at and compare?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU clock speeds are only comparable with chips with the same architecture. Otherwise it’s apples and pears.

The Intel Pentium had a clock speed of almost 4GHz about 15 years ago!

https://www.techspot.com/review/1877-core-i9-9900k-vs-ryzen-9-3900x/

For pure gaming Intel is still a tad faster overall, but when it comes to 4K gaming it is the GPU that is the deciding factor.

When it comes to productivity program, the new AMD chips beat Intel by a long shot.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I agree the new AMD chips are powerhouses for multi-core, multi-thread applications and programs. What was suggested originally (when discussing best upgrade for FPS in DCS VR) is that AMD is the better chip for DCS. Disregarding all software other than DCS and focusing only on VR FPS in DCS, which is better? Intel or AMD?

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the 9900K/2080Ti folks would all be using AMD chips if we think they're superior isn't it. Having said that, the type of VR setting we typically use is >4K in rendering resolution so I think you will see no difference between top of the line CPUs from both camps and it will be a matter of who has better GPU and RAM in the setup.

My next PC build might house an AMD CPU, unless Intel comes up with some breakthrough in performance. On the GPU side, nothing beats NVIDIA right now.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1877-core-i9-9900k-vs-ryzen-9-3900x/

For pure gaming Intel is still a tad faster overall, but when it comes to 4K gaming it is the GPU that is the deciding factor.

When it comes to productivity program, the new AMD chips beat Intel by a long shot.

Not valid because it uses the old AGESA/BIOS versions, read carefully what I wrote. They are just one or two weeks old. You posted an article from mid July.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4036454&postcount=40

9900K is only "noticeably" faster than the high end Ryzen chips if you achieve ~5.2GHz and even then it's not worth to mention and call it a performance difference.

That would be because your overclock is unstable or you made some type of mistake in the bios. Either with a power limit or some other type of limiting option. Overclocking is not easy to do right.

If you're getting a reduction in frame rates loosen memory timings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]