Collective damping

Rogue Trooper

Whilst I have loved whipping around in the Gazelle and loved what it can do, I have always been controlled and obeyed certain rules set by previous DCS modules.... a muscle memory if you like.

When it comes to the collective, I have always respected a slow smooth collective that most other modules have forcefully supported in DCS. You whip your collective up in the Kamov, huey or Mi8 and you will see a lag in the virtual compared to the real.

As I have slowly pushed into flying real choppers, I have realised that this controller, the collective, is heavily damped, it does not allow fast changes in blade angle like the Gazelle allows. There is simply a mechanical speed of change in the real that simply does not exist in the DCS Gazelle sim.... but I know it is there in the real.

The current module assumes that the simmer has a perfectly damped collective.

I have seen guys doing crazy stuff "on the line".... this is because they lack real life damping. These fellas will not learn how to bring this weapon to bear correctly.... this is after all.... a sim.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

And that is exactly why I build my own controls. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I agree, in a real control setup there are the various mechanical tolerances, inertia due to component weight, frictions, cables, pulleys and bearings etc. then the aerodynamic forces acting against the inputs such as.....

Pulling the collective up results in movement of the pitch change rods at the swash plate, increasing the pitch of the main rotor blades to increase lift, this of course increases drag.

In a real aircraft this provides feedback not only in the performance but also in the apparent weight of the collective. Of course, most real controls such as cyclic and collective as well as having a longer throw than a joystick also have adjustable friction collars to increase stability and reduce over controlling etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Good old 30$ bike hydraulic dampers on all my controls, collective, cyclic and rudder. Feels awesome.

What make of hydraulic damper BaD CrC?

Do you use a settable friction value with these or just a standard fixed friction/damped value.... does adjustable damping make any difference when applied at the correct angle in regards to the collective?

Do the dampers bleed and if so how quickly?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.