HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 491 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #4901
Unclezam

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Why would it do that? It sets a max frame rate, not minimum.
That is a good question. I am just reporting what I have been experiencing. This has been the case with Odyssey+ WMR and most likely also Reverb (I will double check this).
Unclezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #4902
stuartaston

I see very rare instances of a reported 46 fps, even though I have both motion vector and vsync enabled... It never creates a problem and if I'm honest I suspect it's artefact generated by pre-rendering frames...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My DCS VR Settings FPS Bump in VR Shaders MOD for VR Making an IC compliant version of the Shaders MOD
stuartaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #4903
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclezam View Post
That is a good question. I am just reporting what I have been experiencing. This has been the case with Odyssey+ WMR and most likely also Reverb (I will double check this).
You are absolutely right! I tried with DCS VSYNC on, and sure enough, the frame rates were varying all over the place between 45 and 60.

Now this is interesting as it should be allowing up to 90. I always use NCP VYSNC on, but it happily alows up to 90, so I really don't know what's going on with DCS VSYNC. Never used it before!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · 2 x Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #4904
sirrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
This may help some people.

https://youtu.be/ywGhE1vnRVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamidorix View Post
I'm just going to copy paste my response on reddit to the youtube video a couple pages back, since I own a reverb and I touched on driver enabled MSAA (doesn't work) and the effect of virtual reality pre-rendered frames (less means less ghosting but more min frame times).

"
I immediately doubt your credibility when you still somehow have not grasped the PD vs Steam SS difference, that LITERALLY gets repeated as nauseam across the internet. PD setting of 1.5 means make the resolution 1.5 times wider and 1.5 longer, for 225% more pixels. Steam SS 150% means 150% more pixels. PD 2.0 is the same as Steam 400%. This gets spammed so much by people on the forums; I get the various boomers not grasping it but I really don’t get how you missed it.

Anyways, you also most likely don’t understand the full impact of upping pre-rendered frames, but that is more understandable. When you queue up 3 frames on the cpu, you now are making your headset software predict 3 x 1000/FPS milliseconds in the future as opposed to 1 x (single frame gpu render time). This is a huge difference and will make late stage rotational reprojection super shit (tons of ghosting on fast moving distant objects). Now, obviously this is a per user subjective thing as many will be bothered by low frame stutters vs ghosting and vice versa, so I certainly agree with trying 4 and seeing if zooming in on far away targets or rolling over trees bothers you.

I personally suggest using Nvidia low latency ultra, as this will use average frame time data to schedule the cpu frame completion to coincide with gpu frame render. This gives you the GPU throughput of 2 pre-rendered frames (the gpu is never waiting on the cpu like in 1 pre-rendered frame), with the latency (equal to just the gpu render time of one frame) of 1 pre-rendered frame.

Finally, I don’t think you understand the implications of implying that you can enable driver level MSAA in this D3D11-powered deferred rendering pipeline game. You flat out can’t enable driver MSAA in D3D11, and you flat out can’t design a driver level multi sample implementation in a deferred rendering engine.

After re-watching your video, I am confident all you are observing is the transparency super sampling. While the setting does in fact work, it is pointless to enable, as NVCP transparency super sampling merely ordered grid super-samples pixels that pass alpha test, i.e it costs just a much as full-scene super sampling per pixel. So, by enabling you end up spending more gpu power per pixel on alpha textures than the non-alpha texture pixels, which is the opposite of efficient behavior. MSAA is generally so efficient vs full scene supersampling in part because it culls the alpha texture pixels from sampling as opposed to prioritizing them.

Also, to elaborate, AA override or enhance does absolutely nothing, as it will in most deferred rendering engines, and ANYTHING D3D11+ or Vulkan. However, post process FXAA works, and interestingly enough MFAA (maxwell-gen aa interleaving) works with DCS 2x or 4x MSAA. This is the real driver trick if you require DCS MSAA; as long as you maintain decent frames rates MFAA will interpolate 2x or 4x samples with motion vectors every other frame to essentially create a 4x or 8x sample at half the cost.
"

Oh my... All this different and conflicting info, in so many posts and video's.. It's getting might complicated for Reverb newcomers like me

I assume I should still start with vr4dcs.com, or is there nonsense on this site as well that I should definitely avoid?
System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) - Pointctrl <-- must have for VR users!! - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #4905
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post

Oh my... All this different and conflicting info, in so many posts and video's.. It's getting might complicated for Reverb newcomers like me

I assume I should still start with vr4dcs.com, or is there nonsense on this site as well that I should definitely avoid?
Yes start with that guide. There's too many conflicting views on VR.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #4906
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post

Yes, the advice on vr4dcs is - on the whole - pretty good. One thing I would certainly disagree with, and that is it recommends using the non-beta version of SteamVR. I would say, always use the beta version. It gets updated every other day, and features options and improvements that sometimes take weeks to get to the 'release' version. If there is something not working OK, it takes literally a minute to go back to the release version.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · 2 x Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #4907
Rogue Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
In my opinion, 60Hz is horrible! Too much flickering. 45fps at 90 is preferable to 60fps at 60Hz all day long.
What flickering at 60Hz are you talking about imacken?
An overall image in the game? was one eye predominantly more flickery?
Or are the menu's more flickery?

I found 60 Hz to be absolutely perfect but the last update about 1 or 2 weeks ago sporadically dropped my fps below 60Hz so I have reset the system to 90hz and locked it down to 45hz.
For the chopper pilot flying low at 4 or 5 metres above the ground this creates weird image abnormalities along straight edges when looking down through the nose blister or when looking at buildings towering above you through the fast rotating blades. it is as if the 45hz frame rate cannot keep up with fast rendered images.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #4908
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
What flickering at 60Hz are you talking about imacken?
An overall image in the game? was one eye predominantly more flickery?
Or are the menu's more flickery?
Just the typical flickering of lower refresh rates really.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #4909
Rogue Trooper

how does that look, like a low or high frequency line that drops across the total image in both eyes?
or a pulsing effect of the whole image?
Is it eye ball related, right eye more?
I want to look for it when I go back to 60 Hz.

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 01-30-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #4910
Rogue Trooper

I think the reverb crowd needs to sound off about their specific needs... their weaknesses and their strengths, this may help us come to an understanding of our situation in the 3 dimensional virtual world.

We need to set a automated thingy that always shows at the bottom of each of our posts.... like the thing some high end spec system posers always have.... how do you do that?
The post note should have everything relating to VR, system spec (basic), ipd, glasses, and current settings in DCS and VR.... everything that may be relevant to the VR experience only.

It is better if we move as a heard.

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 01-30-2020 at 09:20 PM.