toggle switch 'OFF' function

lesthegrngo

I hope I explain this properly so that you can understand and help with the question. I'm away from home at the moment on assignment so can't test it in game, so I'm hoping that you guys can explain how the game interprets an 'off' input for panels I am designing.

In my racing games, there are two options for commanding a function to off. One, as used by H pattern gear shifts, is the 'hold button for gear' function, where as long as the switch is energised it will command the game to hold the assigned function. The idea is that as soon as you move the lever it reverts to neutral. For DCS this means that if you have a toggle switch that has function 1, off, function 2 you could use an on-off-on toggle switch, with the function reverting to disabled or off when in the center position.

The second way is to actually energise a switch to command the required function to off, so for instance in the case of a toggle switch that has function 1, function 2, off, you would actually require an on-on-on switch as you would need a signal to command the off function.

Hopefully you guys can see what I'm trying to explain, the two methods require very different approaches and wiring schematics.

Where possible I want to use Bodnar switch boxes as they function well and lighten the load for inputs, as you can run 64 switches off each one. Clearly the second option requires the use of more inputs, plus it also means getting on-on-on switches which are not as easily available - plus I already have a load of ON-OFF-ON toggle switches!

Cheers

Les

DCS has support for this, but you'll have to edit the input lua files and manually add in the behavior you want. I wrote something up on how to do it on Reddit:

Be warned though that every time DCS comes out with a new patch, it will overwrite the input lua, so you'll want to make it OVGME-compatible or some other way of restoring your changes every time the game patches.

Thanks - so reading between the lines the default method is to send a signal to command the function to off.

So I have to set the individual commands to be altered individually or is there a generic command to change all then set the ones that don't apply?

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

So I have to set the individual commands to be altered individually or is there a generic command to change all then set the ones that don't apply?

You'll have to add in the off command to be sent when the button is released for each control you want it to apply to.

You'll have to add in the off command to be sent when the button is released for each control you want it to apply to.

Some modules have started to have binds for these types of switches out of the gate, but this depends on the module designer.

If memory serves, these can often be marked with "function x ELSE OFF" etc.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

DCS has support for this, but you'll have to edit the input lua files and manually add in the behavior you want. I wrote something up on how to do it on Reddit:

Be warned though that every time DCS comes out with a new patch, it will overwrite the input lua, so you'll want to make it OVGME-compatible or some other way of restoring your changes every time the game patches.

Actually you dont have to use any mod enabling software......everytime DCS updates it creates a backup folder in the dcs root directory. Any changes you make to the game go into the folder. Simply copy the all of the folders in the backup folder and paste them into the root directory and say yes to the overwrite......done deal.

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals