Normandy and Assets pack - confused!

Just purchased Normand and Assets pack and to be honest I think I am missing something;

There are no missions

No training

No campaign

The mustang is fun to fly but no weapons. Not even offered at loadout

I downloaded a mission from user files only to find myself flying over Normandy against Migs! and no weapons!

It also states that it comes with a Bomber B-17 but I cannot see.

Is it because I am playing DCS Open Beta 2.5?

Feel I have wasted my money!

Have you purchased the Mustang? You may be flying the TF-51D that comes with the base game that has no weapons.

Missions on the Normandy map will be found under the particular aircraft your wanting to fly and the B-17 is AI only.

You don't need to buy campaigns though. You can just use the mission editor to create your own missions or download user made missions from the forum/website. There are also the generic Instant Action missions already included in the game. You need to buy a WW2 aircraft first though, because the asset pack only contains AI units.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just purchased Normand and Assets pack and to be honest I think I am missing something;

There are no missions

No training

No campaign

The mustang is fun to fly but no weapons. Not even offered at loadout

I downloaded a mission from user files only to find myself flying over Normandy against Migs! and no weapons!

It also states that it comes with a Bomber B-17 but I cannot see.

Is it because I am playing DCS Open Beta 2.5?

Feel I have wasted my money!

I think you have misunderstood the description in the e-shop.

Maps do not come with missions, campaigns or training missions. These all come to a varying degree with aircraft modules, there are paid campaigns as well.

The Assets Pack only contains AI vehs including the B-17 to use in missions or campaigns that you or someone else built or paid one that you bought. If you have the Combined Arms module as well, they promise that we will be able to drive the vehicles (not aircraft) and probably aim the Anti-aircraft guns someday.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am w/ the OP

During the sale I bought the Persian Gulf map and the Normandy-Assets pack. Already own the FA18 and Mustang. Fly the FA18 in PG and there are maybe 15 new missions added to the list I already have in Caucusus. Cool. So then I go to Normandy in the P51. First it is set many months after the invasion so what is there to do at that time? I was thinking to fly the P51 to be able to help w/ the advance through France. Guess not. Second, there are maybe 5 missions. Takeoff, land, free flight and I forget the other two. So I do free flight and land immediately so I can get armed w/ gun ammo and 10 rockets. Take off and try to find a train to take out. There is nothing moving anywhere other than a few other P51s. So why do we get 15 usefull missions w/ the PG map and 5 nearly useless ones w/ Normandy?

During the sale I bought the Persian Gulf map and the Normandy-Assets pack. Already own the FA18 and Mustang. Fly the FA18 in PG and there are maybe 15 new missions added to the list I already have in Caucusus. Cool. So then I go to Normandy in the P51. First it is set many months after the invasion so what is there to do at that time? I was thinking to fly the P51 to be able to help w/ the advance through France. Guess not. Second, there are maybe 5 missions. Takeoff, land, free flight and I forget the other two. So I do free flight and land immediately so I can get armed w/ gun ammo and 10 rockets. Take off and try to find a train to take out. There is nothing moving anywhere other than a few other P51s. So why do we get 15 usefull missions w/ the PG map and 5 nearly useless ones w/ Normandy?

You might want to check out these:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/p-51d_tbnob/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/p-51d_charnwood_campaign/

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you. I don't mind spending a little more and these are inexpensive so I will buy one or both of them. I was just surprised at the difference between Normandy and PG.

... I was just surprised at the difference between Normandy and PG.

The Maps has nothing to do with the missions available .. each aircraft cames with a number of missions, its up to the aircraft developer how many missions will provide and for which map.

So, you have the whole gamut from the I-16, that only has 6 missions in all and all of them for Caucasus only ... to aircrafts like the F-14, that has 32 Instant action missions for the 4 maps.

So, next time you look for missions, check the aircrafts rather than the maps :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks guys. I am learning all the time. I bought the Charnwood campaign. WOW lots to learn there. Some how the P51 is suddenly hard to get down the runway. Have to look into that. Maybe I have had some help turned on w/o knowing it. Sure isn't there now. Having a hard time w/ bombs always falling short. I think I need to go to a steeper angle. It will be a while before I progress beyond the first mission and that is fine.

Thanks guys. I am learning all the time. I bought the Charnwood campaign. WOW lots to learn there. Some how the P51 is suddenly hard to get down the runway. Have to look into that. Maybe I have had some help turned on w/o knowing it. Sure isn't there now. Having a hard time w/ bombs always falling short. I think I need to go to a steeper angle. It will be a while before I progress beyond the first mission and that is fine.

For all the WW2 aircraft there is a special rudder assistant game helper, that is turned on by default. You can change that in the options menu in the special category.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Did they not talk about a "big release" (more of our promised units) of the asset pack this summer? Thought I read it in some newsletter..

This thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3930888&postcount=198

"This summer we plan to release a major update to the DCS: World War II assets pack"

As of May 31, this update was "planned" for summer 2019.

It is not clear if this remains the plan or not. There are still 6 or 7 (+/- a tad) weeks of "summer" depending on your definition. This means at least 3 OB updates (JUL31, AUG08 & AUG22) are in the frame, if the May "plan" is executed and assuming OB updates occur every 2nd week on a wednesday.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 3 months later...

you can also learn to create your own missions in the mission editor.