Space Bar Not Working

I haven't played in a few months so i jumped on to do the training missions to get a refresher in the A10c. but when they ask me to hit space bar to advance to next step it no longer works. its only a problem in the A10c the space bar works fine in the mirage, I have not yet tested the F5e to see if its a problem there.

• 1 month later...
The issue is probably a a faulty default binding on the HOTAS function spacebar should be on. That should be either firegun or weapon release. I ran into the same problem when I bound silence Master caution button to spacebar. :)

ill check, but it only gives me issues on the a10c training's, all other training's i have no issues and a10c campaign missions i have no issues

• ED Team

If this is happening during the training, while the text is being read, wait for the speech to finish before pressing the space bar to continue. It should help, the trigger seems to be getting messed up.

If you can tell me which mission it is specifically and what version of DCS I will take a closer look

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just would like to add my name here.

I too have this very odd issue.

I just noticed DCS isn't registering space bar and failing to advance through scripted missions or trainings

Space is mapped by default to gun trigger

so I wanted to check why it's not working, I cleared that keyboard binding

and attempted to re-bind it

but space bar isn't registering at all

Steam / Openbeta

also when I am in the controls menu

I press space.

the expected behavior is that it should automatically jump to whatever space is bound to

well it doesn't

but space bar is registering if I want to rename a mission, or "save as", then I can add spaces in the name

so the key does send input

I have ruled out 3rd party software. Tried without trackIR and have nothing else running that could "steal" the space input.

I have ruled out any USB weirdness by removing my controllers and trying various USB ports.

Ok, one more thing I just found out. If I try a modifier + space then I can remap / give input.

But if I do space alone, it doesn't register any of it.

The problem is, even if I set Gun Trigger to LCtrl-Space, that doesn't make any script move forward.

Ok, I have found the culprit.

It was in UILAyer.

I mapped SPACE one day to "RESET VR HEADSET". And that broke the whole game.

So if you are coming from google and have the same issue as I had, a key that seemingly has no effect on the game, make sure to check ALL your different planes and UI layers mappings to ensure you have not mapped the key to something else.

Game should probably tell the user it's mapped to something else instead of not giving any feedback whatsoever.

Or when you're supposed to press SPACE to advance a script, make it actually work would be cool too.

Edited by Whozdär
  • Like 1

Had exactly the same issue wehen I did the A-10 training missions today (cold start & take off). After hitting the space bar key, the dialogue wouldn't proceed. Changing the gun trigger from LShift + Space to Space only did the trick. Now when I hit the Space bar, the dialogue proceeds.

• 3 months later...

my space key is also porked…. I mean really,,,, someone didn't see this before, or just a few of us are unlucky?????? up for hours looking to see what craziness is going on... and see that I am not alone....

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I have the same problems with space bar in Tutorials (A10C). Using trigger button on my Joystick seems to work most of the time. But not always.

Rotor57

My Rig; Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5_32GB RAM_GTX 1080 _X55 Rhino Throttle_TM_Warthog Flight Stick_TM Pedals_28" 4K Eyeball Bleeding Monitor::doh:

Take off is optional, landing is not::pilotfly:

FC3; CA; NTTR; P51; Spitfire; F86F; Mig15; F5; KA-50; AJS 37 Viggen; UH-1H; F18C; A10-C;M2000;AV8B-N/A;Christen Eagle;

I fixed this problem by editing the mission using mission editor.

Where it has trigger

X: START LISTEN COMMAND (554, #, 1, -1000000, 1000000,0)

where # is a flag number

I changed it to

START WAIT USER RESPONSE (#, 999)

where # is the same number as the flag above that you removed. (it usually changes)

Then any key should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Tutorial space bar

I just jumped into the A-10c training startup video and the training will not continue as it is not noticing that I am pushing the space bar to continue. This is getting frustrating. This is the second module that I have purchased that I can not get through the startup training because of a bug (software issue), the Huey being the other. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Edited by Modano1st

I have the same issue on the maverick training mission, as well as your post!

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

I had the same problem with running the A-10C startup training mission running on v2.5.4.27430 of DCS world. Based on an earlier post in this thread, I was about to re-map the gun to LCtrl+Space instead of Space. When I got into DCS World, I noticed that my gun wasn't mapped to any key so I mapped my Gun to Space. I went into the start-up training mission and the space bar was working.

I don't know if this will fix anyone else's issue with A-10C training missions and spacebar but you may want to try it if the gun isn't mapped to spacebar.

• 2 months later...

OK I figured this out, just happened to run through the tutorials again to refresh my memory and of course nothing worked. In the startup training mission, it was looking for 2nd trigger button (command 554) instead of SPACEBAR. You can change this yourself in mission editor by using START WAIT USER RESPONSE instead of X : START LISTEN COMMAND (make sure to set the correct FLAG number), or just squeeze the trigger button instead of SPACEBAR.

If the trainer's sound is cutoff too quickly, you can also prevent this by specifying delay 1-2 sec on the next sound file.

A-10C is such an important module and I consider the A-10 training missions (of the old) the gold standard, I'm going to start going through every mission one by one and fix whatever I could.

EDIT: Ok pretty much all missions except one or two are broken. Just use the joystick trigger button instead of spacebar or manually change everything that says X: START LISTEN COMMAND 554 to START WAIT USER RESPONSE in the mission editor, and it'll work (do not change other commands, only the one with 554). I think that if your Trigger2 is mapped to Spacebar, it'll also work (mine isn't).

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 4 weeks later...

I also encountered an issue during a training mission for the CCIP / unguided bombs in the A10C last night. Got to waypoint 2 and the space bar input wasn't being recognized by the tutorial. Thankfully was just trying to refresh after some time out of the cockpit.

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria